Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperGrover1981

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2004
Hi Gang,

I've been running an XP Box through a Belkin 54g Wireless ADSL router (FSD7230) for a few months now without hassles, it connects to the internet just fine. I've recently inherited an iBook running OSX 10.3.5, which is delightful...but I'm having a few problems getting a consistent internet connection through the AirPort.

When I load up the machine, the airport claims to be working fine and the reception indicator suggests there shouldn't be a problem, but I get a 'cannot find server' message when I attempt to open any webpage. I have to reconfigure the network settings each time (the automatic setup/'assist me' option works fine) I start up computer. This will make it work, but it will occasionally drop the connection again.

My broadband connection is an ADSL PPoE; I'm taking a wild guess that the iBook is having problems chasing the dynamic IP address...but I'm at a loss how to solve the problems.

Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated, many thanks in advance. :)

- SuperGrover

iSaint

macrumors 603
inherited? an iBook? you lucky dog...

I received my iBook several weeks before the Airport Express shipped, so I was running on a direct ethernet connection fine until the AE came in. I hooked it up according to instructions, but never received a connection although I had the signal (just like you are saying).

I finally called Apple. They had me unplug the Airport Express, get a paper clip, and press down on the reset button (on the bottom next to the other ports) and continue to hold the reset button down while plugging the AE back in the wall. (Keep the ethernet line connected this whole time).

Continue to hold the reset button until you get four green flashes from your Airport Express. Then go back to your iBook and run Airport Express Setup Assistant again, and you should be golden.

I have had to do this a few times in the two months I have been wireless. But lately things seem to be more consistent.

Hope this helps....

edit: i see you say Airport, not Airport Express. OK I'm ADD in all probability so I posted too fast. But I believe a similar process in resetting the Airport will work.

SuperGrover1981

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2004
iSaint said:
inherited? an iBook? you lucky dog...

*grin* To an extent, but not enormously lucky...it's an ancient, original iBook model. Still, I'm surprised how well it works. Macs sure age with a lot more grace than PCs.

I finally called Apple. They had me unplug the Airport Express, get a paper clip, and press down on the reset button (on the bottom next to the other ports) and continue to hold the reset button down while plugging the AE back in the wall. (Keep the ethernet line connected this whole time).

Hmmm...you're right - unfortunately I don't have an Airport express. Neither do I have an ethernet connection...and, dagnabbit, I can't find a reset button either. :D

edit: i see you say Airport, not Airport Express. OK I'm ADD in all probability so I posted too fast. But I believe a similar process in resetting the Airport will work.

Heheeheheheheh. Lovely...thanks anyway, I'll keep trying. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.