An Airport Express how-to...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tdhurst, Oct 29, 2006.

1. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Here's my setup...I've got an airport express with both a G4 and a G5 connected (wirelessly, obviously).

The G5 is my primary computer and I set up port mapping to the G5 in order to work in remote desktop. I'm using the G4 as a server and would like to host a Daylite database from it.

Now, Daylite requires that I map (forward) ports 20220-20300 to the G4 in order to work. I can't find a way on an airport express to forward EIGHTY PORTS simply and was wondering if anyone could help.

Setting the G4 as the default host (dmz) won't work (I believe) because I need certain ports forwarded to the G5.

Now, BESIDES buying a cheap wired router (which is my backup plan) and using it to configure this setup, is there any way to get the Express to do this?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

One way which I think will work:

download this text file, and globally change the word "internal" to the IP you're using. Save it back out, then, in AirPort Admin Utility, chose the AE, click Configure, go to Port Mapping, and import the file. if you've already got ports set up, export them first, then prepend the contents of that exported file to this one, then import it.

Worst case? Re-import the one you exported originally.

3. tdhurst thread starter macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Cool

Thanks, that kinda worked.

It seems Airport Express only lets me map a certain number of ports (looks like about 15-20). Any ideas?

Explanation...I did EXACTLY what you said. It imported the 5 ports I already had mapped, plus 20220-20233.

Weird.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I sort of figured that the AirPort Expresses were sort of... handicapped, as it were, and I guess they are. The only other thing I can suggest is to try altering the file to just have "20220-20300 your_g4_address 20220-20300" where the spaces are actually tabs. None of my AEs are set up in a way that'll allow me to do port mapping, but my guess is that the cheapo router is a better bet.

Seems like a bizarrely limited restriction on port mapping....

5. tdhurst thread starter macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yeah...

I'm not trying to be a whiner, but for $129, I should be able to map an unlimited amount of ports. I mean, it's a SOFTWARE issue, right? It's not a hardware limitation, right?

Thanks for the help, though.

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I completely agree. I see no reason why it can't handle over a hundred, at least, even if it's understood that mapping many ports slows the router down. Give me the option at least. :rolleyes: