An Apple a day keeps the hassle away

Discussion in 'Community' started by CrackedButter, Jul 7, 2003.

1. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Just thought i would share with you today the day i had, quite weird but totally true and it gave me a cheerful smile.

Today i received from amazon my new mouse, the Logitech MX 700, man theres some setup involved with this!

I'm gonna have to complain to logitech about the poor manual that came with the mouse, it totally sucks!

It ran me through umpteen pages just to get it up and working and gave me a drivers disc as well, WHAT A WASTE OF A DISK!!!

Honestly i felt real sorry for the trees and plastic wasted on these things.

Whats the point in providing a fairly stretched out manual when all i had to do was plug it in!
    Whats the point in providing a cdrom when all i had to do was plug it in!

Then it became clear, it said on both the manual and cdrom "Mouseware 9.7 (Windows)", for their whole line of operating systems infact! YES the poor windows users... i had forgot about them!

OSX is lush i couldn't believe how simple it was and its another reason why i am happy that i switched!

All i did was plug it in!

On my old NEC laptop i had to plug it in, install the drivers and then reboot, it was an MS mouse at the time as well.
    Anyway apart from that event i had to go to the computer shop to get another microfilter for my DSL line.

Cost me £10 and it is supposedly better quality than others that can be bought for much less from the normal phone shop, so the guy said.
    I replied to the computer guy jokingly "Fine i'll take my money elsewhere and buy a more expensive one, i'm paying for quality afterall".

He handed me the microfilter and it was from D Link, it sure is smaller than my other microfilter i thought. Then i made one of those statements briefly making conversation, "I would only buy from Netgear or D Link".

Computer guy: Oh Neatgear, i don't rate them.

Me thinking back when i had a couple of pc's with many Neatgear Hubs, PCI cards (FA311) and a laptop FA511 network card and not recounting any problems i had.
    I've got a Netgear Router now as well as having kept the hub.

Me: I'm speaking from personal experience, i've never had a problem.
    Computer guy: Well we get loads of pc's, brought in with Netgear network cards and other stuff all with drivers messed up, they cause alot of hassle.

Anyway before i thought of anything else (at this point i surprised myself, i simply said: "Well i've got a mac".

Computer guy: Oh well okay!

With that we both smiled and i walked out thinking about all the troubles i never had with Netgear and all the troubles i don't have with drivers anymore anyway because i dumped my laptop and pc for a mac.

Strange how everything seems so much simpler these days, i suppose thats they reason why i paid extra for a mac and the reason why i'm paying more for a microfilter AND the reason why i'm paying twice the normal price i would normally buy a mouse for!:)

2. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

that is a great story,but what is a microfilter?

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The microfilter is used on the line for a phone. I have a modular phone jack a y-adapter. One port goes to the DSL modem. The second port goes to the microfilter, that has a female port for the phone line. The microfilter is used to filter out the noise that occurs with the DSL line. Without the filter you would hear a very annoying noise!

4. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

wdlove: I believe that is the first technical post I've seen you make! Not to dog you, I'm sure there are others, but I haven't seen them, and usually you are just so nice...

So nice I have often considered saying "Hey! wdlove! Say something sarcastic or mean for once!" ;)

OT, I have a netgear router and I had to call tech support to set it up. The upside is that their tech support (or at least who I got) was very very knowledgable. It is my understanding that many support centers are moving to India, because they have great technical education over there, but not as good an economy. The lady I was on the phone with had a Hindu accent and the line was a little long-distance fuzzy sounding, so I assume that's where it is.

Wayz. The only problem I've ever had hooking up my OSX machine to anything is that my STUPID IOMEGA DRIVE is not built to work with iLife apps unless you do something funky with it.

Plug and play rocks. Windows users have to use "Unplug and Pray" to keep their computers secure with MS's brilliant wannabe P&P technology.

5. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

the ms days before that were downright scary

but they really wanted to be good in pnp, ease of use, and multimedia...ha

and when w2k first was marketed as a multimedia, user friendly os, the strategy backfired so the company came out with windows me, which was a double backfire

6. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I was thinking the exact same thing, well not about the being mean but about wd explaining the whole filter thing.

Argh why do you have to create threads like this that make me want my G5 even more!

I'm about to die in anticipation.

I still haven't ordered it though. I see no need to, but I plan to any day now. :)

scem0

7. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

As far as I'm concerned MS hasn't suffered enough for ME.

What a joke. And be "joke" I mean the kind of joke where someone has his friends stand on the other side of the street and record him hitting you over the head with an unwrapped ham.

Then again, Apple made the MacTV......I owned one of those. Did you know you could only expand it to eight megs of RAM? I still have the remote somewhere, I wish it still worked. It used to make my 603e chirp when I pressed a button.

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Thank you both for the compliment. I just happen to have very limited technical knowledge. When I saw the opportunity to add something helpful, I thought why not. My knowlege base is more medically oriented.

What is giving you pause on the orderign process scem0?

9. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    My eyes nearly popped out of my head when I saw this. OK, you imposter...what did you do to wdlove?! Where is the nicest guy on MacRumors, huh? Did you tie him up somewhere? I'm gonna beat you up after school!:p

BaghdadBob beat me to it, but I just had to add my comments. There's GOT to be a medical post around here so we can see the many sides of you...you little celebrity you.

Reminds me of the TAM I used to own that also had a remote. From across the room I could boot it up, flip on the TV, change channels and volume, even eject a cd. What a machine!

Thanks for sharing that, CrackedButter. I always get a kick out of stories where things are so hassle-free on our favorite platform.

My school district is having fits because of our upcoming application make-over whose vendors INSIST users need the latest version of IE to interact with. (Zangle and PeopleSoft are who we went with) I informed people involved that we should put a download link for IE on our District Wide Application information page (www.sandi.net/dwa), and it was pointed out that because of Service Pack issues blah blah blah (on the PC side of things) that it would cause grief for the end users, so our department (Information Technology) needs to develop a plan for this. I stated "Uh, 70% of our user base is Mac...and you just download IE and run it...no problem." Dumbfounded looks all around. :rolleyes: