An Apple All-Rounder

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by James Philp, Sep 17, 2005.

1. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Mar 5, 2005
    OK, so this is a what if..?

Most studies etc. have shown that the concept of an all-in-one device (i.e. a cell phone, pocket-pc, pocket games console, media player etc.) aka "fusion" technology, is generally unattractive to a consumer. Now, in the advent of the PSP, which (although I don't own one) seems to tick many boxes, I'm beginning to think that such a device could be desirable.
    The thought of listening to my music on a cell phone, and not on my dedicated, beloved player, the iPod, makes me feel sick, but I was thinking, maybe I could bear it on the PSP. I do hate Sony however (as they have music & movie labels and vested interest in the markets, you will never get a consumer-based product from them).

So this makes me think, and want to pose a question to you all:
    What if...
    Apple made an all-in one device. It was a cell phone, music player, handheld PC and console etc. Apple design and implementation. Would you snap it up in droves, or simply brush by it like a lot of the other so-called "fusion" devices of the past (mostly cell phones masquerading as iPods etc.) have been?

The Apple all-in-one. Attractive?
  2. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

Aug 12, 2005
    I'd probably buy it if the price was right, and I don't think that it would be (no offense, Apple. You know it's true). :D
  3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    an all in one even by apple could suck

a cellphone/PDA with limited music playback (say as much as the low end Shuffle when it becomes obsolete) could work. apple could pull this off, but still, its a niche market, not every one wants all these features, which is why they are always failing. almost everyone listens to music, so the iPod rocks, it fills a large gap. almost everyone has a cell phone (more so than an iPod) so thats a huge thing to fill. but not everyone wants this combined. and not everyone has a need for a PDA either. but putting all three into one machine raises the costs and people dont want that. the key is to combine all three intuitively, and at a relatively low cost while showing why this is better than separate devices.

very hard thing to do.
  4. asif786 macrumors 65816

Jun 17, 2004
    London, UK.
    i tend to shy away from these all in one devices, for a couple of reasons:

1) battery life. the battery on my v3 is disgusting. most cell phones are no better. to group all of these features and then expect a good battery life isn't gonna happen for a while (imho)

2) i'll admit that some of the apps written for pocketpc are great, if it's an apple device we'll need to start from scratch (i.e. whole new apps)

3) has anyone held a psp? a friend of mine has one, and i just found it waay to big. it's definitely to big to keep around in your jeans pocket.. (it's long)

if anyone can do it right, it'll be apple. but i doubt it'll happen. we can dream!