Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 19, 2006
Who would love to see one? I would much rather have Apple release a PDA than a phone.

Just my opinion

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
you are joking right? the standalone pda is a thing of the past. people still have them because, well, they bought them and don't want to have to buy a new product just yet. But, any new corporate focused phone has every feature of a pda of the past e.g., blackberry, treo. while apple's phone might not have the blackberry market in mind (note this is not to say blackberry users are not the same demograpic who would have a blackberry and still buy the iPhone in their personal capacity) it surely will, if it is produced, provide ample and well designed organization features.

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
you are joking right? the standalone pda is a thing of the past. people still have them because, well, they bought them and don't want to have to buy a new product just yet. But, any new corporate focused phone has every feature of a pda of the past e.g., blackberry, treo. while apple's phone might not have the blackberry market in mind (note this is not to say blackberry users are not the same demograpic who would have a blackberry and still buy the iPhone in their personal capacity) it surely will, if it is produced, provide ample and well designed organization features.

I had an HP200LX clamshell, an HP620LX clamshell, and a couple Palms. I loved those clamshells like a rubber donut. There's no phone I'm aware of that will run Windows 3.11 (the 200LX) or portable versions of Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.

I thought they were incredible little machines, and that was 7 years ago (the 200LX is, what, 16 years old at this point?)... mass-market? No, not really. But cool? Hell yes. I'd buy a comparable product from Apple today in a second. (Or in a week and a half, when I'll have the money).

Mac'Mo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
NYC
i'd like to see one, although i dont use pdas. I've used the Q and hte blackberry and they seem pretty cool.

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 19, 2006
i'd like to see one, although i dont use pdas. I've used the Q and hte blackberry and they seem pretty cool.

I have the Dell v50 Pretty good, but it wont sync with my mac.

I would love to see a PDA run OSX

AppleIntelRock

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
I have the Dell v50 Pretty good, but it wont sync with my mac.

I would love to see a PDA run OSX

A PDA running OSX wouldn't be a PDA at all, it would be a PC. A small tablet Apple wouldn't be a horrible thing, just not a PDA.

AppleIntelRock

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
personal digital assistant is not a pc term, but i guess u want to call it ixxxxx

No offense, but if you want to get technical, PC stands for PERSONAL COMPUTER and the last time I checked, an Apple was a PC. A tablet like device running OSX would indeed be a personal computer or PC.

wozzlewoozle

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2005
sarkoland
I can't see a return of a pda (only) device. It would also have to be a phone/ipod/???

In addition I see a significant return of paper and this crazy thing called a pen....

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
No offense, but if you want to get technical, PC stands for PERSONAL COMPUTER and the last time I checked, an Apple was a PC. A tablet like device running OSX would indeed be a personal computer or PC.

errrr,, its ok, now i understand your point, :D but i guess ur definition is kinda too scitific, i mean, in your definition,
a mac is a pc
a windows CE PDA is a pc,
a OSX (u can be sure apple's small device stuff will not give u a full OSX) small device is pc too.
only palm is not.

its not only I feel strange, but most ppl today don't interpret that way anymore.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
They're all personal computers. PDA is a class of personal computers, just like desktop, laptop, thin client, etc...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.