An Apple PDA???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by levitynyc, Jan 1, 2007.

1. levitynyc macrumors 65816

Who would love to see one? I would much rather have Apple release a PDA than a phone.

Just my opinion

2. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

3. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

you are joking right? the standalone pda is a thing of the past. people still have them because, well, they bought them and don't want to have to buy a new product just yet. But, any new corporate focused phone has every feature of a pda of the past e.g., blackberry, treo. while apple's phone might not have the blackberry market in mind (note this is not to say blackberry users are not the same demograpic who would have a blackberry and still buy the iPhone in their personal capacity) it surely will, if it is produced, provide ample and well designed organization features.

4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Apple invented the PDA as we know it today (they even came up with the phrase). I see one all the time, apparently lots of people still use them.

EDIT: This is a fun article about the Newton's viability in 2006.

5. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

I had an HP200LX clamshell, an HP620LX clamshell, and a couple Palms. I loved those clamshells like a rubber donut. There's no phone I'm aware of that will run Windows 3.11 (the 200LX) or portable versions of Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.

I thought they were incredible little machines, and that was 7 years ago (the 200LX is, what, 16 years old at this point?)... mass-market? No, not really. But cool? Hell yes. I'd buy a comparable product from Apple today in a second. (Or in a week and a half, when I'll have the money).

6. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

i'd like to see one, although i dont use pdas. I've used the Q and hte blackberry and they seem pretty cool.

7. levitynyc thread starter macrumors 65816

I have the Dell v50 Pretty good, but it wont sync with my mac.

I would love to see a PDA run OSX

8. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

A PDA running OSX wouldn't be a PDA at all, it would be a PC. A small tablet Apple wouldn't be a horrible thing, just not a PDA.

9. levitynyc thread starter macrumors 65816

Huh

10. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

At work, it's not allowed, even though a couple may be married.

I do like to hug my Apple computer in the privacy of my own home...

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

personal digital assistant is not a pc term, but i guess u want to call it ixxxxx

12. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

No offense, but if you want to get technical, PC stands for PERSONAL COMPUTER and the last time I checked, an Apple was a PC. A tablet like device running OSX would indeed be a personal computer or PC.

13. wozzlewoozle macrumors regular

I can't see a return of a pda (only) device. It would also have to be a phone/ipod/???

In addition I see a significant return of paper and this crazy thing called a pen....

14. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I think he means Mac OS X is a large computer OS. It is far too powerful and complex to use on a PDA.

And what does ixxxxx mean?

15. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

errrr,, its ok, now i understand your point, :D but i guess ur definition is kinda too scitific, i mean, in your definition,
    a mac is a pc
    a windows CE PDA is a pc,
    a OSX (u can be sure apple's small device stuff will not give u a full OSX) small device is pc too.
    only palm is not.

its not only I feel strange, but most ppl today don't interpret that way anymore.

16. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

They're all personal computers. PDA is a class of personal computers, just like desktop, laptop, thin client, etc...