An Apple Tablet: In depth

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mammoth, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

WWDC is coming up, and I'm hoping that Apple makes a hybrid Macbook/tablet. I was pondering how a few certain functions would work. I guess the lid would be held down with magnets again if it's used in tablet mode, but what shape would the screen housing be? If you make it flush with the body on tablet mode, it would be sharp when closed normally. Another issue: the hinge. What would it look like? How big would it be? Post other concepts for a Macbook Tablet.

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

3. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Agreed.

And to answer your questions, nobody knows but apple. But trust me, it will look good and work well.

4. Mammoth thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

I too highly doubt that Apple will actually make a Macbook Tablet. This is more of a 'What if' thread, like all them touchscreen iPod threads.

5. DevilsRejection macrumors regular

Pisses me off too, I mean anyone in college knows how handy a tablet can be.

Sometimes you want to make yourself a chart, or annotate pictures.

I'm waiting for Lenovo to release the tablet form of the X60. A representative I spoke to at CES said that they would definitly be out by xmas of this year. I can't wait!

I mean people went gaga over photo booth, which is the most useless application known to christ, and seeing 40 year old man laugh at themselves because they can apply wacky effects to their face in real time is vomit inducing.

Why not go a step further and have another useless app where a user can draw on his or her mac. It'll push the whole tablet thing.

What I'm going to love tho is when Mac users hold up their nose high about how innovative their tablet was, when PC users have had tablet computers since the Pentium II days.

6. generik macrumors 601

generik

I got a LG LT20 for a friend from an auction today, just unpacked it for a quick inspection to make sure everything is working fine.

Sure, it looks like a PC, and it is packed like a PC, but what I noted...

1) The magnesium chasis is simply awesome, it is absolutely fantastic. Beats Powerbook/Macbook Pro to hell.
    2) Wonderful screen, and it is a touch screen, no less!
    3) Hey, I'm pretty surprised that PCs can be that good quality too. Guess the time I spend here must have brain washed me.

7. DevilsRejection macrumors regular

Seriously, that's the one thing that pisses me off about Mac users.

They cry foul when PC users insult them for making broad generalizations about Apple OS X, and Apple hardware.

Yet these same zealots are the same douche bags who insult the PC market by making similar broad generalizations about Microsoft's OS, and the many many many hardware vendors.

I'll buy a Mac Mini or an iMac because they are very unique and special products.

I will never buy a MacBook or a MacBook Pro until they reach the build quality, and have the same battery life as equally equipped IBM ThinkPads.

8. generik macrumors 601

generik

This is actually very true. When people make comparisons between Macs and PCs, they will conveniently just pick Dull or Dell as being representative of all PCs, nevermind the fact that Dells have like the worst quality there is!

Why can't they compare Macs vs Thinkpads, or Fujitsus, or Sonys, or LGs? Hey, the pricing of a Mac is pretty much up there with all these elite PC manufacturers.

9. Coheebuzz macrumors 6502

Do you own an Apple laptop?? If not then you stop making broad generalizations yourself. I make my living on Apple machines and they haven't failed me even once. And yes i have a problem with Windows because it makes my job harder. Btw what does your post have to do with this thread?

Anyway, here is a mock i did a while ago, just for fun. Am sure a tablet will come when the technology is there.

Attached Files:

10. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Sadly, you are probably right Chaszmyr........but I would love to see Apple release a tablet Mac (iTablet, where are you?).

Very cool pics Coheebuzz- I want one! :D

11. generik macrumors 601

generik

Those are some awesome mockups Coheebuzz, only trouble with iPad is it does sound a bit like some sanitary product :rolleyes:

12. DevilsRejection macrumors regular

I'm not digging your mock ups at all, wayyyy too much border

No I don't own an Apple laptop, because most of the people i know with powerbooks have dings or scratches in their case.

No I don't own an Apple laptop because when I did the research I wanted a light machine, with a small footprint, that gave me 8 hours of battery life

No I don't own an Apple laptop because I don't like to gamble on my hope for a product without heat issues.

I have a hard time beliving windows makes your job harder, but hey who am i to judge your computer knowledge.

and my post was just a rant, because apple PR is the one reason why many computer geeks hate apple in the first place. they spin the most useless thing as the pinacle of cool.

i love OS X for what it was, and I used it EXCLUSIVLY for 2 months. i went back to windows. i will keep a close eye on the WWDC as I'm prepared to repurchase a Mac once I see the feature set 10.5 has, but for now I'm just looking forward to vista.

13. Coheebuzz macrumors 6502

On the other hand when someone compares Macs to PC's it's 1 company against 1000's. There is no way that Apple will match and exceed the features found in every single PC laptop out there. So the comparison has to be made on a specific product of a specific vendor.

14. DevilsRejection macrumors regular

and mac users typically choose dell, the metaphorical feces of the computer industry

15. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Good luck on that, it will be released......eventually..... ;) :D

16. DevilsRejection macrumors regular

Like the 3 GHz Mac right? :rolleyes:

17. Coheebuzz macrumors 6502

You have to rest your hand somewere besides the screen, right? :rolleyes:

Mine doesn't. Neither does my car. Just take care of your stuff.

You should get a hamster powered laptop. You just need to feed it!

You just made yet another generalization.

30 min ago i got a call from my sister. Her PC needs a format/reinstall cause it's plagued with spyware and viruses and it's slowed down to the point it's unusable. I don't care whose fault is, this shouldn't happen. If something like this happens to me i lose money, so yes windows makes my life harder in many ways.

18. generik macrumors 601

generik

Actually I don't really follow your analogy. So by your reckoning there is no way that, for instance, a Benz would surpass in quality, every single Toyota and Honda and Mitsubishi and Ford out there, solely because they are many manufacturers and Mercedes Benz is only one?

The beauty of our situation here is even simply, the reality is ultimately regardless of all the fancy brands you have, EVERY SINGLE PC (and yes, Macs are PCs too) on this planet is ultimately made by one of the half dozen or so ODMs. Perhaps LG has one of their own, since theirs was assembled in Korea, and I have to say the quality on that was exception, I have not seen one like that for a long while, but hey, it is not like Apple is bleeding for cash here. Why couldn't they source a better manufacturer?

The bottom line is important, sure, so is it for everyone else. Why does Apple deserve that bigger cut?

I'll leave the answer to that for you.

19. DevilsRejection macrumors regular

SCORE! I've managed to piss someone off enough to deconstruct every sentence of my post!

Those borders are too big, that's my opinion, you posted a mock up, i critiqued it, that's life, deal.

I take care of my things too, I believe one should always have a laptop in a sleeve and in a bag when not in use. But you got to admit, the moron who decided to make a laptop skin out of Alu should be fired. From airport problems, to ease of damage, need i say more.

Hamster powered laptop? Aww is poor baby upset because his little macbook pro can't get more than 3.5 hours out of a full charge. how sad.

Generalization? Check out what this entire forum, hell what every mac forum, the blogosphere, the tech news world, and just about any credible podcast is saying about the heat issues. it's a problem, that needs to be fixed. first step to fixing a problem is admiting it's there. so stop trying to cover up the massive defects that are apperent. a laptop should be comfortable enough to use in your lap, period. without fear of testicular cancer.

And honestly it's your sisters fault she can't use a computer without screwing it up. i'm on the same windows xp install for the past 1.5 years now and i have zero spyware, or malware. i use the best antivirus and antispyware tool on the market, it's called common sense!

As a personal tip, if you want to help out your sister install ubuntu on her machine.

20. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

LOL :D Good point.... :eek: Although, the PowerPC G5 failing to reach 3GHz was IBM's, not Apples fault. :)

Well, since Apple has embraced Intel, we will soon see 3GHz+ chips in our Macs. :)

21. Coheebuzz macrumors 6502

Can they?? Toyotas and Hondas can built higher quality cars too, with engines far more reliable than Mercedes.

It's not so simple to compare Apple to all PC makers as a whole. And Apple can't make a laptop that has all the features found in all other PC laptops together. I mean they could, but there is no point to it.
    As far as the price premium, designers cost money and thats how it is. My Mac makes my desk looks good, and the desk costs twice as the Mac.

Will you be happier with a cheaper but plain ugly laptop from Apple? You may be but most Mac users will not.

22. DevilsRejection macrumors regular

you've just lost all credability you had in my book since you basically said you'll buy a product if it looks good on your desk

what a load of crap :rolleyes:

let me guess, there is probably atleast one bose product in your house? and all your electronic equipment is sony?

23. generik macrumors 601

generik

Actually I second this opinion of yours too, the PBG4/MBP design does look nice, but hey, why aluminium? Why not magnesium?

Seriously, having a machine that'd get dented just from a bump is pretty unacceptable. It is a portable, this thing travels with you. You are not supposed to need to baby it.

I have to disagree with you here though. The heat problems, while resulting in a fair bit of uncomfort, are actually not as bad as some dells that I have seen.

Imagine the hard drive right under the palm rest, and having no heat sink around that corner either.. some Dells can run pretty toasty, and one has been known to even explode lately :eek:

Still, Dell probably spends less than what I spend on condoms for their R&D, and I'm talking about nothing. It is really no surprise for them. They are cheaply built, hell, easily disposable. Many recent forum posts revealed that Dells are ~ 60-70% the price of an equivalent Mac too, provided you give the secret handshake and filled in the appropriate discount voucher when checking out your purchase. At that kind of pricing, I can buy it, use it, scrap it into parts, sell it as parts, and buy a new replacement, for the cost of less than a single Mac! It is no wonder that people also come to expect more from Apple.

I don't really care about the heat, or the whine, or the moo, they may piss me off, but nothing pisses me off more than a machine that has to be babied. That totally doesn't fit me and absolutely crimps my style, or perhaps my lack of it. And unlike some mac users on this forum, I am not afraid to admit shortcomings on my part.

24. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I think the true video ipod has the best chance of being the Apple tablet...that is a small form factor portable mac that works really wellas a 7"-10" video display as well.

25. DevilsRejection macrumors regular

you don't have to sing about the hell that is dell, even smart PC shoppers stay away from dell haha.

the dell hate is probably the one thing both a mac and pc geek have in common.