An Easier Way to Install?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Alone2Gether, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Alone2Gether macrumors regular

Jul 27, 2005
    I've been using my Powerbook well over a year now and I absolutely love it. One annoyance that I want to conquer is installing Apps. Instead of opening the App folder everytime I want to install something, is there a tool that will add a right click menu option that says Add or Copy to application folder??
  2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

Jan 10, 2006
    You can use Automator to create a finder 'plugin' to move stuff to certain places when you choose it from the contextual menu. i.e. right click menu.

Or you could just use the short cut 'Apple + Shift + A' to take you straight to the apps folder.

Or even add the apps folder to the dock so all you have to do is drag what you want to 'install' onto the icon.
  3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    You can add your Applications folder to the dock, drag the folder icon over to the right-hand side of the bar, next to the trash.

If you don't want the dock to be cluttered, Overflow or a similar dock extender can be a big help. In the case of Overflow, once you have added the Applications folder to it, you can drag, F1, continue dragging, drop, to install (much easier to do than describe).
  4. Alone2Gether thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 27, 2005
    I know about the shortcut but still tedious. :p

I will give Automator a try.
  5. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

Jan 25, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    You can also just drag the application you want to install to the applications icon in your sidebar. (If it's not in your sidebar, you can put it there by adding it under Finder > Preferences > Sidebar Tab)
  6. mainstreetmark macrumors 68020

May 7, 2003
    Saint Augustine, FL
    And if the software's own window is hiding the sidebar, click the tic-tac in the upper right of that window
  7. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

Nov 28, 2005
    Illinois, USA
    drag and drop is an extremely easy way to install apps. it's so much easier than windows.
  8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    keep that applications folder in your dock and it makes getting to it much faster. ;)
  9. Alone2Gether thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 27, 2005
    Thanks for the Application in the Dock tip.
    I am using that shortcut but still not quite satisfied... :eek: