An easy way to have TWO iTunes libraries on the same machine?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by valiar, Jul 13, 2006.

1. valiar macrumors regular

Mar 14, 2006
    Washington, DC
    So, I have got a MacBook Pro with a 100GB hard drive, and want to make it my main computer.
    My current iTunes library weighs in at about 65GB, which will take up most of the usable space on the internal hard drive.
    I would like to create a setup with two iTunes libraries. A small ~15GB one with "most requested" songs will reside on the internal drive for listening on the go. The "main" 65GB library will be on an external hard drive at home. The trick is, I want the switch between the libraries to be either automatic, or very quick and easy.
    Did anyone here make a setup like that work?
    Any tips?
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Maybe have a read through this. You can either do it through Terminal or using Aliases in Finder. :)
  3. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Apr 2, 2006
    I do that, but just not with so many GB's of music:eek:

I just have all the songs and movies/tv shows I listen to on the go in my iTunes folder (in the music folder in Finder), and I have the bigger folder on my external HD. I just changed the iTunes music folder location to my external HD, (in iTunes preferences > Advanced) and created 2 seperate music folders in iTunes (one for my internal HD, the other for my external HD).
  4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Just use iTunes Library Manager. Very simple matter (iTunes menu) to switch between libraries...

I use Lossless at home, and 256AAC on the Shuffle. Had a 4th gen iPod once for these same files but that died.

5. valiar thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 14, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Thanks - just what I wanted!
  6. reubs macrumors 68000

Jun 22, 2006
    I am completely Mac-illiterate, but I need something to keep two libraries as well since I want videos accessible from an external HD and music from the internal drive. I'm not comfortable working with the script in the terminal box, and I was wondering how those of you who use "Doug's Apple Scripts" have found it to work.

Thanks for any info.