Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
I just finished reading Steve's biography yesterday. It's amazing how the loss of someone you never new personally can bring tears to your eyes.

robanybody

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2013
My thoughts exactly... How boring is news these days that we interview interviewers to get their take on the interview? If that lady also interviews Bill Gates, we'll end up with some kind of inception interview.

What you really need now is for Bill Gates to interview her about her interview with the guy who interviewed him.

Or to get really recursive Charlie Ross should really interview her about her interview with him.

OTOH, I have a life to lead. I downloaded it just the other night.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I always wondered if Gates had a soft spot for Apple and Jobs - at any point MS could have pulled MS Office from the Mac and essentially killed Apple. I never understood the animosity some Apple fans had toward MS and Gates....

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.

Now if only someone could transform Steve Ballmer in a similar way... but that's impossible :D .

That's what happens when the Jester becomes the King. Still a Jester with royal clothing and a crown. :D

Between Cook and Ballmer, Cook is doing a much better job, but he's no Jobs yet.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Yes

RIP Steve. These people just won't leave you alone

Enough of the tear filled interviews. 60min trying to boost ratings.
Bill wishing he had a wife like Laurene who was supportive, and inspirational.

Malinda is neither. Just want's to control the Foundation and keep giving schools free crappy devices.

No more freaking interviews about SJ. Ask Bill when he is going to fire Ballmer!! :apple:

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
tim and ballmer are boring compared to the old guys!

Tim is like a young king who still needs to gain experience. Bu at least he's doing the best he can. Jobs had the guts to go against the board of directors when he wanted to push his visionary ideas, breaking all known to date rules to explore the unknown.

Ballmer is just a bad Jester with too much power.

----------

Where's the embedded video?
Don't tell me it is in Flash. That's obsolete junk.:mad:

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
One was better at growing a sustainable business model. The other believed in giving to those less fortunate since he had the means of doing so.

You're correct in terms of what you saw on the surface, but nobody knew who Jobs was behind the scenes. For all we know he could've been THEE humanitarian. Many times I find out celebrities I would've never expected that have been humanitarians for years.
While what Gates is currently doing is very good, you, me or any of us really don't know the motivation behind the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation or who was the person that came up with the idea before inception.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
One was better at growing a sustainable business model. The other believed in giving to those less fortunate since he had the means of doing so.

What people do in public and how they feel in private are sometimes two vastly different things. We don't know of the possible charitable donations made by Steve Jobs, just as we don't know the motivations for Bill Gates charitable work. In fact, what are his motivations in this interview regarding Steve Jobs?

Is this a chance to re-write history now that "the other guy" has passed? Is he attempting to siphon off for himself some of the good will people of the world feel for Steve Jobs? We just can't know for sure.

Many have been suspicious of the Gates Foundation and its partners focusing their "charitable work" outside of the US. Some feel this is a preemptive strike to enter the third world market and canonize themselves so that when a billion people finally get the purchasing power, they will choose "their savior" Windows. Even if it takes 20 years, the cost of this investment masquerading as charity is peanuts compared to the reward of dominating that enormous future market.

It's diabolical, yes, but that's Bill Gates for you :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.