Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
I said Oprah has DONE more, not given more money, I meant more of herself. Money isn't the only way to reach out to sick and dying people. She gets her hands dirty involving herself directly. But I guess money is the only thing that's important at the end of the day according to some of you here. :rolleyes:

So sick and dying people need someone to hold their hand, not help with the bills?????

Sounds to me like this problem is easy to fix.:rolleyes:

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
I think the worst thing about the internet in general is how tribal people get over the stupidest things.

Exactly right. I've been here since the beginning, had dial up bbs before it and it just keeps getting worse. People fly off at nothing and just seem to snap. Political boards are worse than they ever wore (politics has always been bad, not this bad).

I sometimes wonder if this habit from the anonymity of the internet also contributes to people seeming to snap more in public. Like schools. I know it will make me sound grandpaw-ish but people used to not talk to each other this way.....much less shoot up schools.

On topic I think the Gates foundation is great, both guys have their faults. To canonize one and demonize another is doing so based on the product only. It has to be.

----------

you should pay more respect to these guys. they invented most of the technology you cant live without these days.

respect for both guys from me.

Me too, I'm with you there.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
And??? Do you need a cookie now? You do realize that the money that Apple got from Microsoft was a settlement from an anti-trust suit right? Unlike Gates, Job's has class and is not going to talk crap about Microsoft, but rather takes the high road and will say the positives about how MS played a part in Apple getting back up again, but it certainly wasn't out of charity. I've seen multiple times in interviews Bill Gates has been asked what he thinks about the success of Apple's products, he didn't even have the class enough to just give Apple credit for moving the tech industry in a positive direction and creating great products, he just said no comment. Classless.

I just love how people can't combat an argument so instead they go off tangent and start a different argument. You mentioned Adobe being instrumental in the Mac getting back on it's feet. I mentioned to you that without Apple there would be no Adobe. You had to go on about Microsoft helping Apple, blah blah blah, thanks much. :)

You're just kidding around, right?

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Was absolute rubbish. Gates is a far superior 'businessman' overall. He has nothing on Steve when it comes to aesthetics, charisma, salesmanship and product vision though.

I'm not actually disagreeing with your post per say but could you explain how Gates was a far superior businessman over Jobs? Like in terms of what?

Dgail

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
Mt. Hood to Puget Sound
Chokes me up too, nice comment

This interview chokes me up.

Bill Gates has grown up so much from that jerky little kid who wanted to rule the world. He's doing things beyond him now, beyond Microsoft... he's helping people. He's helping save the world. You just can't deny that we are all lucky to have him on this earth.

As for Steve Jobs, it makes me really miss him. He died too young and I know he still had so much more to do. He wasn't finished. He hadn't gotten to the place Bill Gates is at now, but you can tell that he wanted to be there someday. He envied Bill for figuring it out sooner than he did.

These two hated each other for so long, but then at some point they realized that they both belonged to the same thing... one was the right arm, one was the left. It's hard to live the same way when you lose one. And you can tell they started to realize it towards the end.

Bill Gates genuinely misses Steve Jobs and wishes he was still alive. And if the positions were reversed, Jobs would have felt the same way about Bill.

It may have been mentioned later in this thread, but I do recall an article that quoted Laurene saying that Steve kept what was probably Bill Gates "farewell" letter by his bedside until he died. Steve died too young, he may have ended up being as interesting a public legacy as Bill Gates had he been able to actually retire and have a post-Apple life.

And yes, I came into the PC world in the early '80s in Boston and Seattle, and found out in the since he died that Steve and his parents lived across the street from me in Mt. View and that we and our families knew each other.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I have no doubt that move by MS saved Apple. Microsoft made quite a bit of money on their investment when they sold it back to Apple 6 years later.

Also, the news at the time describes the action as an investment that settled long-standing patent disputes that Windows was infringing upon, and to keep a competitor around in order to avoid antitrust issues.
it was an odd one. Many reports did state that, But when you look historically at the patent disputes, Apple had lost virtually every single lawsuit against Microsoft and had gotten no traction. It was part of why Apple was in such financial trouble was the constant ongoing litigation with no return.

I think Microsoft was just tired of it

mrxak

macrumors 68000
This is hilarious. They are interviewing the interviewer about someone else he interviewed.

Yeah, that's very strange.

Anyway, I am always fascinated by the relationship between these two men. Like Bill says they pretty much grew up together. Together, they changed the world, but they were sometimes partners, often rivals, and they changed the world in very different ways.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
...you know, I'm starting to get the impression that arguing with ole Henry is kind of a pointless thing to do.

in before "WHY CUZ YOU KNOW I'M RIGHT OLOL APPLE HATER".

yeah, I stopped when His only reaction to me was "you're an apple hater"

yes, I'm an apple hater who owns multiple apple products, has watched every apple keynote and product launch for years. has followed the tech industry since i was a wee teen in the 80's and 90's and has actually read many of the stories that have gone on between these parties.

But i'm an Apple Hater. Next I'm a fandroid cause I also own and android device. Or a crackberry cause I own BBRY products. I might as well have given Job's cancer myself cause I'm obviously an Apple hater in his mind since I look critically at all aspects of the industry. Just because I like Apple products, doesn't mean I'm going to ignore everything else involved in the idustry, like the business side, or the humanitarian side that the powers involved involve themselves in.

I agree, Bill gates was absolutely ruthless and cunning as a business man. There's a long, long laundry list of crap he pulled and people he stpped on to get where he was. the late 80's and 90's, Microsoft's name was synonymous with greed and corporate bullying.

Buit they did however, create good products. They DID however invest billions into the industry to bring us products and advance technologies by leaps and bounds.

And Mr Gates since leaving Microsoft has also completely changed. If you ever get a chance, go back and read interviews, books and discussions with him Post Microsoft. You will see that he honestly believes in the redistribution of wealth and that no single people need as much as they do. he's given away 30+ billion of his own wealth to charities. Not as atax breaks (since 30 billiion is probably more than he'd ever pay in taxes in his life), but because they're causes he believes in. he's built entire library systems in American schools. paid for medical research and cures around the globe. he encourages higher taxes for the rich and has vowed that his children will not be receiving the majority of his wealth. That they would be 'safe' but would still have to work for a living.

----------

I too am surprised that Microsoft's Board.... AND its (large) shareholders have proven to be silent, spineless wimps who have not ousted Ballmer long ago. They just keep tolerating his "performance" year after year.

Probably has something to do with the fact that Microsoft remains very very profitable every year.

there have been some dips, but traditionally under ballmer, each year saw increasing profits.

2008 - 17.6B
2009 - 14.5B
2010 - 18.7B
2011 - 23.2B
2012 - 17. B*** (after a nearly 6.5 billion write down on good will)

these net incomes don't get your COO fired.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.