An extract from iCon - Jobs and the iPod

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, May 23, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Is the whole book like that, regurgitated press stories? Bummer.

3. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I never knew about the iCEO title and that Steve himself dropped it. I wonder if he's been aiming for Power CEO ever since?

I don't think it looks all that bad. It sheds a light on Steve that we rarely see because of the Apple legal filters and I think it's good to get "the other side" or the less mythical side at least. I can see why Steve doesn't want Apple Stores selling it.

4. macrumors 68030

munkle

There's a pretty interesting review of this book over at The San Francisco Chronicle by Alan Deutschman, author of "The Second Coming of Steve Jobs", link. Basically claiming that the whole book is just a regurgitation of previous works, including the reviewers' own. The examples are pretty amusing and damming.

5. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yeah, the dropping-the-iCEO story was from the keynote when OS X was announced. I'm sure this book would be a great primer for anyone who hasn't paid attention to the soap opera as it aired, but it looks like it might be a letdown for those who have followed along and were hoping for something new.

6. macrumors 603

aswitcher

It would be nice to see a list of the top 10 things in the book that Steve wanted it band for...

7. macrumors member

JediL1

Yeah, dropping the "Interim" from his "Interim CEO" title was his one more thing... from MacWorld San Francisco 2000.

Someone on the forums posted a link to the full keynote in quicktime a while back.

8. Guest

iGary

This is a good book. Buy it.

I'd do a top ten list, but I gotta get to work!

9. macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I don't think that there are 10 things. I doubt Steve even read much of the book, he just saw the title and didn't like it... You would probably do the same (though you might not go so far as to stop selling books by the publisher altogether).

10. macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    hmmm, perhaps it's the book itself that is the con in the iCon then... :p

11. macrumors 603

zelmo

The book was okay. I liked The Second Coming of Steve Jobs by Alan Deutschman more. Maybe I wasn't thrilled with this one because there wasn't a whole lot of new info in it. Seemed like a rehash.
    I have to agree with you, Applespider.

12. macrumors 6502a

fixyourthinking

Calling out a copycat??

And you lifted that exact wording ...
    from Macslash

13. macrumors 6502a

fixyourthinking

No, it's not - hardly any of the Wiley Press books are worth buying... the press exists solely as rehashes of other books to capitalize on trends - ie ANY Dummy Series Book.

14. macrumors member

If the whole book is like that, no wonder Steve/Apple gave it the middle finger. It just sounds like a bunch of quotes, insinuations, and flippant comments (and, apparently, plagurized material) strung together to make semi-coherent sentences. No thanks. I've read books on Apple's history that were FAR better than that, even with nasty stories about Steve.

Jared

15. macrumors 68030

munkle

Got it from MacSurfer actually but yes, it does sound surprisingly similar.