An IBM tribute :)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hush, Oct 11, 2006.

1. hush macrumors member

Please, don't get me wrong... I HATE WINDOWS! I've been my whole life on Windows PCs, since those old 286 machines, but, I hate them... This is the reason that I am planning on swithching to Mac.

My first idea was to have a Macbook Pro as a main machine and a pc laptop as secondary, since we live in a Windows world (awfully, I agree) and sometimes I need to get into it... you know, Spain is a windows domain, in USA there's not such a problem...

So, some weeks ago I bought a second hand IBM Thinkpad T42... what a nice piece of work!!! It's wonderful. I know very well this computers cause are the choice in my company... they are reliable, undestructible, and really functional... not focussed just in performance but in durability and strongness.

So sorry, but, I cannot imagine those Macbook/Pro problems in an IBM machine.

Probably, the perfect thing would be Mac OS X in an IBM comp :)... let's don't forget that the real good thing at Apple is the OS, and the real bad thing on PCs is the OS as well.

Cheers,

p.s.: sorry for my spelling and grammar :)

2. Foggy macrumors 6502a

3. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

The T42 is one tough customer.
    I have had one for work purposes for a long time.
    I really impressed with it.
    Light, durable, easily connects to any available network.
    Look around the next time you are in an airport. I bet 70% of the laptop are T42s or ealier/later versions.
    Minus the OS, it is a great computer.

4. hush thread starter macrumors member

I guess there's no point... anyway if you need a point, I was just thinking of all those threads from mac fan boys saying how evil PCs are... I disagree with this position, I think that everything has got good things and bad things.

Anyhow, what is pointless is thinking that everything at Apple is right and wonderful... I consider myself an intelligent human being and have my own opinion about things.

Regards.

5. hush thread starter macrumors member

Yeah dude, I work in an american company and it is absolutely forbidden to provide any laptop but a Thinkpad to the employees all around the world.

They are quite expensive, but now I am at the office and I can see a Thinkpad X20 with 5 years and still running!!!... not a big machine nowadays I know, but useful to check mail and so...

Regards

6. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

But... Wasn't... PowerPC... :confused: ;)

7. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

The thinkpads rock! Far better construction and quality control than Apple laptops. My company uses Dell Latitudes (my model is the D620) which are ok but nothing in comparison to IBM thinkpads. Just lovely machines all around. The only bad thing is the T60s got a little bigger and still use the Core Duo (another one of the few holding on).

8. Foggy macrumors 6502a

You do realise you are on a mac forum? Not just a random laptop forum? People are bound to be somewhat biased towards macs.

9. hush thread starter macrumors member

hahahahaha yup! but I was rather talking about Mac OS in an IBM-build machine... (actually I still don't have references from Lenovo standards).

Don't you think it's a bad deal a company who manufactures OS and hardware? Imagine Apple at top in the market share... wouldn't that be a monopoly?

Monopoly = customer dissatisfaction and lack of choices. (IMO).

10. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Not really.

Monopoly = Board Game with Houses and Hotels.

Even if im being serious, a Monopoly does not equal "customer dissatisfaction and lack of choices" or at least it shouldn't. Because in theory if you have the Monopoly (Which is, of course, illegal these days :confused: ) you should have to come up with more ideas, and said ideas should be more innovative (SP?) to keep your Monopoly...

Also, if you havn't got the Monopoly, your going should be the same (more ideas, all more innovative) to get the monopoly. So really, again, in theory everyones a winner... But I guess thats just compertition...

11. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

just one simple question... why do you (and some of the other newbies) feel the need to proclaim the following?

12. azeteg macrumors member

I owned a Thinkpad T40, switched to PB G4 15" Alu in september 2004, since I needed a mac for osx development. Here are my thoughts:

1. Trackpad is better on the Thinkpad.
    2. I find the presence of Delete/Insert/Pg buttons appealing.
    3. Powerbook is prettier. The Thinkpad is made of black-grey plastic with some bright colored connectors(?).
    4. The Powerbook is much more solid. I travelled deep inside jungles for 6 months, and it never twitched once. I dropped it in mud. I used it in extreme heat and humidity. Not a single failure. The Thinkpad is kinda plastic-ey in connectors, battery latches (yuck) etc.
    4. Try reinstalling the Thinkpad. Download n bloated drivers from IBM/Lenovo (if you can find them), install XP and prepare for some setup nightmares. I went through this process several times during the year I owned the T40. Windows (of any version) will always slow down to a crawl. OSX and Mac is a breeze. Put DVD in, press Install, and wait. Then everything works. No finicky procedures to get WLAN or Ethernet card working just to access the web.
    5. Girls like macs. No seriously - they do!

I sold the Powerbook 2 weeks ago. I really thought the new MBP was to be released at Photokina. Until the new MBP is released, you'll find me on the "waiting" threads.

BTW dude, you said you want a Mac AND a pc. The Macs are both. Why get an IBM then?

Touché

13. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

Disclaim? Dont you mean proclaim? Forgive me I am a Georgia Tech grad so spelling, grammar, etc are not my strong suit.

I believe alot of noobs do it as, being new, they are not used to a forum in which flaming is not the usual end to all threads.

14. daze macrumors 6502

daze

I too am waiting for the new MBP. Let's hope it comes soon... My PB is showing its age.

15. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

i wouldn't say thinkpad is hard to reinstall... sure it has a few more drivers that aren't integrated in OS X, but that's no biggie. i have a thinkpad t40p, it's been a great machine, it's definitely just as good built as mbp if not better.. i have never had any hardware problem with that, and thinkpad is definitely among the top built machines

in terms of reinstall windows, i did 3 XP installation and 2 vista installation in the past month :)D can't decide whether i want compatibility or the look...), none of them took more than an hr or so

i do agree windows might not be as nice looking and user friendly as OS X, but saying thinkpad is not as good as MBP in hardware is pushing it

why get IBM? maybe IBM runs windows better than MBP does? :eek:
    stand corrected :) i was thinking along the line of disclaimer

16. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Yeah I wonder this too sometimes when it comes to portables. I can see someone having a desktop PC and an Apple laptop because building a high power gaming desktop tower is MUCH cheaper than a MacPro. I built a very nice Core 2 Duo system in a fantasitc case for less than $1500 with a 20" Samsung widescreen LCD. I am looking to get a macbook once they go C2D. This way I have the best of both worlds... a fast gaming computer and a nice stable laptop for web work, videos, music and typing. If I didn't want a desktop, I would get a macbook pro and run windows and OSX together on the same computer.

17. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

... How??? ...

:rolleyes:

18. hush thread starter macrumors member

then, imagine me... I am spanish.

19. hush thread starter macrumors member

I know, you must be joking lol

20. hush thread starter macrumors member

Well, probably my intentions are wrong and are pointless, but... the reason is that I have a lot of business work to do... sometimes I have to make important presentations, send critical documents, etcetera... i don't want to be worried all the time about formats, conversion and all that stuff... I work in a consulting firm, and my plans are to become a freelance shortly, so, at least in Spain you cannot go to an important client (i.e. currently National Postal Service) with a Mac, no way.

And the second reason (and mainly) is... I just want to do it because i can :D

21. hush thread starter macrumors member

BTW, probably you could explain to me what's the point about threads talking endlessly about if something (a mbp in this case) is going to be released this tuesday, the next one, or for thanksgiving day... threads with THOUSANDS of replies.... I guess you are right, there's no point.

So I would like to make an statement for everybody who kindly responded my thread:

I swear not to use a Windows machine ever again, in this life or coming ones, I swear not to talk anybody using a Gate's machine, even if they belong to my family and I PROCLAIM my unconditional loyalty to my God, Steve Jobs and St. Peter (the Woz), even if they try to cheat me with any device that hardly would pass any quality control (I was just thinking about the macbooks getting randomly shutdown, cof).

22. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

My work computer is a Thinkpad T42, and while I think it is a good machine, I still prefer my MacBook. And not just for the operating system. I also consider the MacBook to be built for durability and reliability. They both have the same motion sensors to shut off the hard drive in case of a fall. The iBooks used to also have rubber-mounted hard drives - not sure if the new MacBooks do. The magnetic MagSafe power connector, magnetic lid, and slot-loading optical on my MacBook are specifically designed with durability in mind (fewer things to break).

In addition, the MacBook just "feels" more solid. I don't understand how a poster above could say that IBM (Lenovo) has higher build quality than Apple. What??!!??? The Thinkpad feels quite flimsy in comparison to my MacBook encased in glossy impact-resistant plastic.

And the above just addresses the practical (durability). In terms of aesthetics, there really is no comparison. The MacBook I think may be a few ounces heavier than my T42 but it's much more compact in terms of volume, has a wide screen, and is generally more pleasing to the eye (I love the smooth white case). I'm definitely glad I'm using OS X on my MacBook and not on hardware like the T42!!!!

23. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

I have an Thinkpad X60 work laptop, which is super light, really well made, small but bright 12" screen & a separate docking stn that contains the DVD unit, which I hardly use.

I also have a MBP again from work (I am in a pilot group testing them as possible corporate computers) so I can make reasonable comparisons between the two.

The MBP is sexy looking, the backlit keys are neat, the screen is excellent quality, I love the attention to detail (particularly the magnetic power cable), the operating system is to die for, it's fast & very stable, iLife is brilliant, Office for the mac is in my opinion better than the windows version and parallels software works reasonably well.

The X60 though is a real workhorse machine, if you travel as much as I do you really appreciate how light and easy it is to carry and crack open wherever you happen to be, plus the battery seems to last forever compared to the MBP. I just found carrying the MBP around quite awkward at times and eventually I left it in the office and simply transferred files to and from it and the X60, taking the X60 out on the road with me.

I think if Apple ever came out with a version of the old G4 12" that was really light and based on the intel platform that allowed parallels software/bootcamp, they would have a killer business machine. Even the MB's are surprisingly heavy in comparison to the X60

Until then the MBP is my office based machine, I use an iMac and PB 15" at home and I continue to travel with my X60.

Vanilla

24. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Yeah work is always a big one for a lot of people. I have a latitude D620 from work that I have to use as it is all my IT staff at work will support. I guess I need to just give in to the fact I live mostly in a windows world anymore lol!

And I hear ya on the macbooks. Quality control from Apple has been a freakin' joke lately.

25. hush thread starter macrumors member

I agree with you about aesthetics, mainly because a thnkpad was not intended for consumer purposes.
    But I completely disagree about durability and reliability... the T series filmsy?, I think you mean light, but that's a good thing in this case.

Anyway, when I wrote this thread, actually I knew I was going to be got wrong... I love macs, I think they are great machines, but I forgot that many people just like white or black and forget about grey :)