An idea about iLife

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Jalexster, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

I say that Apple should split iLife into two parts:

iLife Organise (Free): iTunes, iPhoto, iTheatre (Like iTunes, but for videos)

iLife Create (Not Free): iTunes, iPhoto, iTheatre, iMovie, iDVD, Garageband, Darkroom (Image manipulation/creation utility)

I personally think this would be great. iLife Organise could be realeased on Windows, and we could keep the good stuff for us on Mac.

As for iTheatre and Darkroom, I feel these are a lost piece of iLife that should have already been introduced.

What do you all think?

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

iTheatre would be cool if you could set different video to open with different players. If it only works with QuickTime, it just wouldn't cut it.

Darkroom? Forget it, Photoshop is all I need. Actually, Photoshop Elements is all I need.

Having iLife ported to windows would be good too. Maybe people would like and switch to a mac.

3. Jalexster thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was actully thinkinf of iTheatre playing Videos in it, like how ITune splays music inside it, instead of opening Quicktime to play them. But external player support would be great.

Also, how expensive is Photoshop Elements? Because I meant for Darkroom to be a cheap, simple image manipulation program. And it could be intergrated much better than Photoshop ever could.

4. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Wouldn't porting iLife to PC do more to prevent people from switching?
    Why switch to a Mac when you have all the good s/w already? Yes, you and I know that iLife is not the only good thing about the Mac, but most PC consumers don't know or understand about the benefits of OS X. If they did, they would have switched already. I think letting them have a taste with iTunes is sufficient. Like Marie Antoinette would have said had she lived today, "Let them eat the BSOD!"

Sorry about hijacking the thread there. I think iTheatre would be cool, but most people already have decent enough image manipulation s/w.

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

There is a shareware application called iVideo that does movie organization and plays the videos inside the app window (more like iPhoto). Right now I believe it is driven only by QuickTime, though.

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

You're probably right. I didn't think of it that way. Like the Soup Nazi would say if he was a mac user, "No iLife for you!"

Edit:
    By the way, Photoshop Elements is under $100. It comes free with some cameras, printers, and scanners. I got it with my scanner.

7. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

i think that darkroom would be great becuase photoshop is very very expensive. However many people **ahem ahem** get it from other sorces. Elements is also much more expensive. Just a basic image manipulation (with Core image of course) It would be integreated with iPhoto and other stuff. It would not be as good as photoshop (of Course) however it would be really cool.

8. Lincoln macrumors regular

Lincoln

Another alternative to "iTheatre" is a sharware program called "Movie Montage" v1.1 by Findley Designs, you can get it here :
    http://www.findleydesigns.com

It only costs a few dollars to register and it plays all quicktime videos within the application. :p

9. emw macrumors G4

emw

I'll have to check it out and compare to iVideo. It looks pretty sweet.

10. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

iTheatre or iCinema would be a cool idea.... it would be good if iTunes music store sold music videos to go with the songs...and incorporated a viewer into itunes

11. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

I would like to see the ability to choose the photos you'd like to import into iPhoto. A few of your suggestions sound interesting as well.

JOD8FY

12. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I agree...they ONLY do iTunes because they want to make some real cash off PC users...iPhoto really wouldn't make them much money along with any other apps.

13. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

I'd like to see Apple make an image manipulation program and put it in iLife. Not all of us can afford Photoshop or even Elements and Gimp in X11 can be painful to use sometimes.

14. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Won't happen; iTunes only exists on Windows because it enables Apple to sell iPods to the huge masses of Windows users. Spending development time and money to write free Windows software that will enable Windows users not to switch is not worth the investment unless it brings in money for Apple some other way, as the iPod does for iTunes.

15. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I agree, makes no sense to port iLife apps to Windows. Might be a good idea to give them iPhoto and iTunes and call it GetALife.