An idiots guide to setting up video chat?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by j26, Oct 1, 2006.

1. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

First off, I know NOTHING abou video chat.

Is there a simple (and quick guide) to video chat on macs anywhere?

I don't have a hughe amount of time to search as I am back to college tomorrow :D leaving my wife and daughter :( during the week.

I'm on a macbook in college, and I still have a Powerook that I will be selling soon, but not for a few weeks.

I thought it would be an idea to try video chatting to each other while I still have the PowerBook. Then I could see my girls during the week, and my daughter woldn't have such an absentee dad.

I have;
    MacBook running Tiger with iSight
    PowerBook running Panther 10.3.9
    A DV camcorder with Firewire out.
    A 1 meg broadband connection at home and I guess 2-3 megs in college (both wireless)

I'm not sure if I have the right stuff to do it, so if I don't, please let me know.

Sorry for not searching, but I will be busy packing this evening, and time is limited.

If someone can give me simple instructions about how to set it up, or point me to a handy guide, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

3. j26 thread starter macrumors 65832

j26

If I'm ever in Juan-les-Pins I will buy you a pint. It's absolutely perfect. I have it set up and working.

Thanks a million.

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I'm glad to hear it's working for you. That site is where I send everyone here who has iChat questions. I'll still take the pint, though.

Cheers