an inconvenient truth

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by howard, Feb 12, 2007.

1. howard macrumors 68020

howard

I just got done watching this movie from Al Gore, very powerful. First, I would highly recommend that everyone should see this movie. There are so many little ways we can change the course of our climate, as small as walking to the store or switching our light bulbs. But most people think its to small of a thing to do and therefore don't take action. So far I have turned down the heat, switched a few light bulbs to the energy efficient kind and started walking/riding my bike to reasonable destinations.

What can you do or what have you done to help keep our earth alive?

I'm posting this thread as yet another small way to help. And yes it may be small, but if it gets just one person to do one small thing to help than its been worth it. At our population of billions of people in this world, it only takes small gestures from each of us to really change our course dramatically. Please keep that in mind.

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

There's also this older thread, but it might be old enough that this newer thread would be okay. :eek:

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

The movie was OK, but in my opinion it was lacking.

The movie was too scientific for the average person (i.e. they probably understand what Al Gore told them to do, but don't understand why), and for someone who is well versed in the subject, the movie didn't cover enough. They should have chosen one target audience, rather than picking somewhere between the two.

...But it's still worth watching.

4. howard thread starter macrumors 68020

howard

I thought it was pretty straight forward. He really dumbed down a lot of the explanations for why our climate is changing and how it will affect us, both scientifically and in a real world sense.

If anything I would have liked him to focus more on what we can do on both larger and smaller scales. What we can do is only described during the credits and also on the DVD package. He only briefly skimmed over what we can do on a larger scale. That seems to be the most important thing, after all this was made to inspire change.

5. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I'd watch it, but I have yet another foot of snow to shovel.

6. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

For all of the smart asses out there like Swarmlord:

Global warming = climate change.

Maybe you should watch the movie.

7. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Climate change has been taking place on this planet for billions of years without man for 99% of it. I'm still waiting for the ice age these same scientists scared us with during the 1970's. I'm also waiting for the description of how mankind armed with only campfires raised the temperature of the Earth from the Ice age to current levels.

Perhaps a little more study of the relationship of the current rising temperature of the Sun to the Earth's increase in temperature would be a bit more enlightening than Al Gore's movie.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Man is simply a innocent bystander :D Perfect guardian to the planet:rolleyes: and master of all he surveys and yadda yadda yadda.

9. Motley macrumors 6502

For the oft repeated global cooling myth.

I never understood why people bring up obvious things and believe that no scientist anywhere had thought of it yet Lots of reading here

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Without a paradigm shift, humanity will just keep marching forward on its current path. A few 100,000 people changing their light bulbs isnt going to revert the climate back. If there is a warm up caused by man, unless we start pumping millions of cubic feet of clean air into the environment, the warm up will continue.

anyway, wont we all die from an asteroid impact in 2012?

11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

a nice way of saying, "We didnt know what the hell we were talking about then but we may now."

12. aquajet macrumors 68020

But apparantly, you haven't seen the movie. So why should anybody give a **** about what you say?

13. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

You don't have to see a specific movie to have an opinion on global warming.

I do know that my carbon footprint is smaller than Gore, Edwards, Kennedy, Clinton, Streisand, or any of the other so called messengers of global warming. When they are willing to limit their energy usage to the level of the people they are lecturing I'll be a bit more impressed with their arguments.

Just remember, it's not so much the heat as the humidity. :D

14. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

When it comes to global warming, the things we are supposed to do to slow the process are things we should be doing anyway, aren't they? I mean does anyone actually like breathing exhaust, industrial smoke etc.? does it make any practical sense for one person to drive their giant dodge SUV 2 miles just to get to school/work? Wouldn't you rather recycle than see plastic etc pile up in dumps - or worse, breathing in the fumes from garbage incinerators?

It's weird how the global warming debate is used by one side to give the other side a reason for not being slobs:rolleyes: .

YT

15. aquajet macrumors 68020

My point is, it's foolish to discount any value in Gore's documentary without actually seeing it first. Just a pet peeve of mine, you know...

I frankly don't know what Gore's carbon footprint is, but even if he likes to use barrels of oil as tiki torches in his back yard and drives a 747 to the supermarket, that doesn't mean I will dismiss his message as utter nonsense and begin doing the same.

16. vniow macrumors G4

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Gore#Environment

17. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Yeah, but this is the first time we've changed it. The other thing about climate change is that it moves at a literally glacial pace. The human-caused variety is moving like a Model T.

18. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

First, Global Warming is a short-hand, and inaccurate, term for Anthropogenic Climate Change. In the United States, certain areas will experience dramatic increases in snow-fall and ice-storms while other places, such as Kansas, may become drier. Climate change is complex and not expressly related to heating.
    Furthermore, there are other problems related to the massive release of CO2 into the air, such as the sudden accumulation of large amounts of CO2 into the oceans. So much has been absorbed, that the oceans PH level is changing due to an increase of carbonic acid.

So far, Swarmlord, you've dissapointed me. In many other threads you've made some interesting statements, but here you hold to the common bon mots of those who argue against human-caused climate change. First, you mention the oft-cited, if entirely incorrect, estimation that scientists believed in 'global cooling' in the 1970s. Then you attack the messenger, namely Gore and others, with little evidence to support such an attack. Gore, for example, buys carbon credits to offset his usages.
    Then, you fall back into pithy remarks about the weather, while still managing to completely miss the point.

You can do better.

I've often made the point that carbon is just another pollutant, no different than the others that are regulated and taxed.

19. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I loved the movie and thought it had a great message. You say he drives hyrbid cars around but I noticed in his movie he was driving a Cadillac Escalade :). Maybe that ride is just for the farm.

jom

20. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Its cited not just because the report was wrong, but also because its proof of the fact that scientists often think they know whats going on but actually dont. Not that I totally disagree with the report, but no one seems to want to admit that there many other factors that can be causing this change. Such as precession, where the tilting of the earths axis rotating every 26,000 years or so.

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Procession is not the same as precession, and neither of them is even slightly relevant to the argument unless you can show a 26,000 year cycle of climate change.

22. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

I take it you mean precession?

Ice ages are periodic as with the precession of the Earth's axis of rotation, but it really doesn't change the temperature too quickly.

Plus, when I see web sites like this, I tend to gain a great deal of skepticism towards the subject.

Ah, beat me to it. My fault for not reloading the page before I typed.

23. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

24. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

thats exactly my point.