an inspirational message from my boss!

Discussion in 'Community' started by jazzmfk, Mar 12, 2004.

1. jazzmfk macrumors member

Jersey. Route 78, exit 24. Gotta problem with th
    Hey, all. I'm a teacher somewhere in central Jersey. The entire faculty just received this note from our award-winning principal via e-mail. I was so moved, I just had to share. Here is the entire message:

I want to remind you that no students are to use the teacher computer in any classroom. Additionally, no student or you are allowed to change the settings or load additional software on any computer. Recently there have been numerous violations. It is unfair for your colleagues to encounter errors, malfunctions, and/or loss of computer usage due to these violations. It is my expectation that no future violations will occur. Thank you.

Is that an unbelievable message or what? English is this guy's first language, too, for those who might have guessed otherwise. And what kind of world do we live in where changing the settings on your computer results in ..."errors, malfunctions, and/or loss of computer usage...."?? Oh, wait, I know the answer to that one - we're almost an all-windows school. (I'm trying to fix that....)

Anyway, as I said, just wanted to share.

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i love schools tha spend more time fretting and panicking about their IT hardware than teaching the kids... even schools that are mostly Mac, that don't suffer these problems (mostly) do it... i think it's a powertrip for administrators to set all sorts of rules. If they could just treat computers as tools, and not spend so much time implementing security, restricting parts of the OS, restricting teachers' computers (i'm sorry, but the teacher should have final say over who uses their computer)... granted, kids do screw things up and play around too much, but it's only going to get worse if administrators want to butt heads with them... the best way to get a kid to do something, of course, is to tell them that they cannot.

paul

3. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

However, just to play devil's advocate here--

I used to do IT work in a building with about 300 users, and you would not BELIEVE the things people can do to their computers by just changing or installing a few seemingly innocent things here and there. All it takes is a few idiots to ruin it for everyone--and that's nothing compared with what someone with a little know-how (but not enough) can do. This is why companies have standard configurations, buy their hardware from a single vendor, and have utilities for remote desktop administration.

In a school setting, you can bet that only a few people are doing the screwing up, and another few doing the complaining, but that's enough for the principal to decide he's tired of dealing with it and issue a blanket directive.

4. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

Still, I disagree with his sentiments; a school is supposed to be a place of learning, and free thinking. That just doesn't fit too well banning free use of a learning tool

5. MD1025 macrumors newbie

Hmmm...

sounds like a truly wonderous school administration *sarcasm implied*

you wonder how some of these individuals even recieved their glorious reigns err
    i mean positions after they make so "professional" memos. I also think they should definatly find more important issues than strictly safeguarding their precious XP (assuming thats the Windows os they're using) but hey, they're school admin., its par for the course for them to make some sort of notice like that i suppose.

6. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

It's all about Control. A dangerously few administrators seem to be honestly aligned (that is mouth and actions converging) with empowering their work force. Hence, feigned allegiance continues to erode educational and work environments.
    X

7. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

it was not what the message implied that concerned me, it was the piss poor grammar that made my head spin. i had to read it twice just to understand what he was trying to say... the principal! :rolleyes: that's pretty sad (...and not just the windows part :D)

8. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

uggg don't even get me started on my boss/work. This has been the week from HELL

9. pierceDESIGN macrumors newbie

My boss once managed to delete the System Folder on my Mac (well, it belonged to the department). Called Power Computing (it was one of the first clones way back when) and was on hold for three hours before tech support told me that I was just screwed, that doing so was impossible (think it was OS 7.1) and he had to go on his lunch break.

Finally, I took the slave drive, swapped it with the master and loaded OS 7 on the new drive, crossed my fingers and it worked . . . still have no idea how she managed to do that, though.

Our IT dept was so PC (anti-Mac) that the tech guy that was supposed to install my Mac (wouldn't let me do it ~ that was his job, he said) and stupid that he damned nigh broke it right out of the box. Tried to plug the power cord into the SCSI port!! The same IT guy now works for AOL, BTW. But hopefully, has nothing to do with Macs . . .

10. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Oh no what is really fun is when You come back to the school and all the Macs you donated are sitting on a table getting ready to be trashed couse some PC user got under the Admins skin about compatibility.

11. vniow macrumors G4

How do people find these threads anyway? This one's from over a year ago.

12. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

oh my god, IT IS! :eek: so much for my observation skills :p (although i was not the original "finder")

13. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Looking for past, interesting topics and bringing them back could be indicative of the present tense nail biting This Works posts
    [read lame] we're asked to endure at the present. It'll get better. It has to.
    X

14. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Hopefully not teaching Geography.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Judging from his writing, I do believe english is his first language.

I also don't think what he said was that bad. I just think you enjoy being critical.

And even after reading that this thread was from over 1 year ago, I still decide to reply..... :eek:

16. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I did think I read this before but wasn't sure WHEN!! :p

I thought I was going nuts..

17. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

We have MD1025 to thank for this. I thought this was a current thread as well, given some parts school has started.