an intimate look into Apple Retail Stores

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by metfoo, Jan 3, 2005.

1. metfoo macrumors member

My company was able to do a write-up for the Detroit Area Apple Stores. We have it on our website. Check it out at:

http://www.detroitmac.com/index.php?content=mia010305

One interesting quote:

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Apple Retail Stores also offer a new exclusive service known as ProCare. This annual membership can be attached to any Apple machine, old or new, and gives the bearer "priority" status. Repairs, if needed, are pushed to the front of the line. ProCare members can also reserve a Mac Genius, one of the technicians in the Apple Retail Stores, up to a week in advance for a special one-on-one training session.

I didn't know about this.
    Must check whether to see this is up & running in London...

Would be extremely handy for work: we've only got a small set-up and pay approx £2000 per year* (!) for immediate call-out support. We're going to negotiate a change this year to an hourly rate and supplemented with something like this may be useful...

* This was long in place before I started working there... not my fault. :)

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

be warned: ProCare is extremely expensive, I don't know if it would be any cheaper for you. But you would get a nifty black card with a big Apple logo on it...

I'm actually a little surprised to find out Apple didn't design their own lighting system... When I bought my iMac, and saw that the woman was using an iMac as a cash register, i knew Apple must have written their own software for it. Especially with the custom receipts in Apple's fonts. It's very interesting to get a behind-the-scenes, Apple likes to put up a tight façade usually. They were OK with the article?

paul

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Hang the cost: we want the nifty black card with the logo!

Well, as it said we're spending £2000 (almost $4000) per year for virtually nothing... I do most of the troubleshooting myself (with the help of MR).

I'll check it out -- thanks for the warning.

Edit: that could possibly be a good subject for a thread.
    What kind of support contracts you have, what they cover & what they cost...

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Procare at Regent St is £79 per year IIRC I got one in my Lucky bag :)

It may allow you to jump to the front of the Genius Bar but no such luck on normal checkouts (sadly!). It also apparently lets you attend certain Studio classes but haven't heard any more on that.

6. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

Yep, they're so cool! :D I haven't used mine yet, but it is by far the coolest looking card in my wallet (even cooler than natwest debit card :eek: :))