An invention we don't need

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Thomas Veil, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I have come to the conclusion that I HATE those jugs of Tide detergent with the "tap" on the side that allows you to dispense detergent.

My disgust has to do with having the third one of these that leaks blue detergent onto the top of my dryer (where we keep the thing).

I really wish my wife would stop buying these. I'm going to have to remind her again that I really don't mind having to tilt a regular jug of detergent over to pour it. :rolleyes: And that I hate having to clean up gooey blue puddles from the top of the dryer.

And Tide...keep the taps on the beer barrels, where they belong. :mad:

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

How is this for an invention? Put a teacup saucer under the spigot where the little blue goo collects, it makes for easier cleanup until you can convince your wife that Costco just isn't for her. ;)

3. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

We have the same problem, except ours is on the washer side so the goo collects in a corner of the washer. A teacup or saucer would be too big to place there since we have a top-opening washer. Since the towels get done last I've just started using a wash cloth that's going to be washed in the last load to wipe up to goo that's accumulated that round of washing.

4. iGary Guest

iGary

Yeah, we stopped getting those because once there is like half a bottle it slows to molasses-like speed.

We went back to jugs. Why does soap cost so much anyway? :confused:

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Ah.. I forget.. we just bought a front-loading washer. Those things rule.

Anyway, you could figure out how to attach something like a plastic baggy over the end with an elastic, or a plastic container suspended under it..

6. iGary Guest

iGary

They do.

My mum has one and it does a much better job at cleaning stuff. :)

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm personally waiting for them to put detergent tanks in the washers - load 'em up every so often with a 5 gallon keg-o'-soap, and not worry about it for months.

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It was worth the dough. Not only does it clean better, it's quieter, it uses WAY less water, spins clothes way drier, and uses less electricity over all.

Funny, I got a survey from Harris Polls a few months about on just that subject. And one for diskwashers as well.

9. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

When we get our own place front loading will be the way we'll go.

10. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

Have you tried loosening the cap near the top of the bottle? Pressure differences can have a remarkable effect on dispensation. :)

11. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

That's a pretty good idea. Now that you mention it, I'm surprised this isn't very common :/

12. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Hmm, I've not noticed the one we have leaking. Although, we do have a set of cupboards above our laundry room sink... which the canister seems to fit quite nicely into. The spigot ends up being perfectly placed, right over the sink so even those residual drips after you close the spigot tend to clean up pretty easily.

13. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

This is what happens when both partners are fairly active on MR...you learn about these decisions long after people all over the world...

14. emw macrumors G4

emw

I've used these for quite awhile (both Tide and Wisk) and have never had the problem you mention. If I did, I would probably just put the cap (that is the soap measuring cup) back over the spigot to prevent leaking onto the dryer/washer.

15. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I've done that. I don't know whether the soap leaks out of the cap anyway, or whether folks in my house just don't put it back on right.

I've even tried resting the jug on its "back" when I'm done, so the spigot is facing up, but people always put it back down anyway. We've got that kind of house. :eek:

16. emw macrumors G4

emw

Since I'm assuming the real reason that these jugs are being purchased is that the price is less than the smaller bottles, you could always just buy one smaller bottle, then keep filling it up from the jug.

17. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Used to do exactly this in our last house since the shelf in the laundry wasn't deep enough to hold one of these jugs in the dispensing position. BTW I find it easiest to use the "vent" port to refill the smaller jug.

Now we just keep the jug on the counter next to the utility sink. Even though they don't seem to leak fo us, it's nice o know that it would be an easy cleanup.

B

18. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

19. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

ive got one, those rediculously stupid and wasteful electronic picture frames. Those iritate me so much. Most of them having crappy screens / resolutions, and have such limited possibilities. And on top of that, the one's ive seen were outrageous rip-offs as well! People, it's called an old laptop but on slideshow, it doesn't even have to be a Mac....:mad:

20. emw macrumors G4

emw

Damn you. The very next jug I purchased had this problem, and of course the first thing I thought about was this thread. :p

Hopefully, this isn't the start of a new trend with my detergent purchases. :eek:

21. Johnny Rico macrumors 6502

22. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Oogie boogie woogie oooowwwoooo!