An Investment or Just A piece Of History?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by xxstatic, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

2. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I don't think it is the actualy first gen iPod. Look at the picture of the box, it is "Mac" next to 5gig. The first iPod was only for Mac, I had it, and I don't remember the box saying Mac on it, it would be redundent.

I think the 2nd gen were when they came out with both Mac and Windows iPods, so they had to distinquish between the two.

3. xxstatic thread starter macrumors member

I thought only the 5gig's were the first and originally Mac only Ipod's? I thought the Windows compatible ones were introe'd on the 2nd gen 10gig's?
    With the updaters later all were able to be formatted for Windows.
    My 5gig is Windows format, I did the change my self but it was Mac when I bought it.
    Just interesting seeing as it went for 200$ but I tend to think yes the technology will become so outdated that it will have seen it's best price on the market imo of course.:)

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If somebody wants to put together a huge collection of old computers, electronics, phones, tvs, etc.

In 10-15 years they will have a collection the movie industry would be renting to make period movies.

5. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I should have kept my 1st gen iPod, I gave it away to a family member a couple years ago. Still worked great, battery life was the only thing wrong, only lasted about an hour.

I think I still have the original box somewhere, maybe I will go find and try selling it on eBay. :). Not really, I like holding onto Apple Boxes.

6. xxstatic thread starter macrumors member

I just replaced the battery's in both my 1st and 2nd gens (same battery's, found new ones for under 20$ shipped) and now they are getting close to 10hrs. playtime on them all else works just as new.:)

7. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

suspects are correct this is a 2nd generation iPod

This is a 2nd Generation iPod. I know my iPod history, but for those that don't believe me

8. xxstatic thread starter macrumors member

Cool thanks.
    Glad I didn't pay 200$ for a 2nd gen.:eek: :D

9. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

The iPod in this eBay is pretty useless. Although I still use this exact iPod model and it works ok still. 5Gb kinda sucks though considering my library of music is now far beyond that amount. The battery life is fine as long as you charge it nearly everyday. It beats having no iPod.