An iPod Shuffle or Nano for running?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by BoyBach, Aug 4, 2006.

1. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

It's that time of year again (the London Marathon application form has just arrived through the post) to start the serious running again!

I have a 40GB 4th gen iPod at the moment, but it's a bit big & heavy for running, so basically I'm looking for recommendations for either the Shuffle or Nano (1 GB models) for runners. Which is more comfortable, easy to use, etc, when your sweaty and tired? ;)

Thanks

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Well, I've been running with a shuffle for over a year now, and while it's a pretty nice piece of equipment, I finally broke down and ordered a Nano today. I think that the shuffle is just fine for running, especially if you don't plan on staring at a screen on your arm the whole time, but the Nano offers a lot of extra functionality now with the Nike+ Sport Kit. That's the whole reason I moved up to a Nano, honestly.

The shuffle is prone to sweat, though, I don't know if the Nano suffers from the same problem. Unless you get the sport case for it it'll act bizarre (playing only certain songs, skipping around, etc) when it gets sweat on it. I made the mistake of getting the Apple armband for it, where it's not completely covered, so I've had a hell of a time lately getting it to play right.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I love running with the nano. It's the perfect size for me, it doesn't skip, and it has a screen so I can pick the track I feel like listening to. :cool:

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I agree with livingfortoday, even though I don't have a nano. I have a shuffle and it is wonderful. Super lightweight and straight to the point. But the functionality of the Nike+ thing seems awesome. I have heard nothing but glowing reviews about it. My boss is a marathon runner who is a no-nonsense kind of runner, and even he is enamored with the Nike+ kit. If I had to buy one today, I'd totally go with the 1GB nano and the Nike+ kit. Just do it. :)

5. iGary Guest

iGary

The shuffle - mine went through 10 marathons with me. :)

6. Lau Guest

I'd go Nano too – it's not much more than the shuffle, and the Nike + thing is only £19. Go oooon. It's for the Marathon. You deserve it. :D

7. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

10 marathons....INSANE:eek:
    Congrats though!

EDIT: I have both...the shuffle is sweet and would use it for running, but the nano has the nike+ so I would use that. If you aren't planning on going with the nike+ setup, buy a shuffle in the refurb store and you get a free armband for running...only 49$...sweet deal!

8. iGary Guest

iGary

I'm going to be a bit self gratuitous...I've run 14 total. :D

But my back is forked now and I can't run. Very depressing. :(

9. BoyBach thread starter macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Congrats iGary, 14 :eek:

Can you use the Nike system with other trainers? It seems a cracking piece of kit but I really don't want to spend extra money on a new pair of running trainers.

10. xyian macrumors 6502

xyian

The shuffle actually sweats???!?!?!? :p

11. BoyBach thread starter macrumors 68040

BoyBach

If that offer was on at the UK store I'd be sold :mad:

12. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

Carl Spackler

I run with my 512 Shuffle. I love it and hardly know it's there, plus I don't really get tempted to meddle with the controls. Since it was remarkably inexpensive with the Amazon Credit Card $30 off offer and isn't scratch prone, I don't feel bad about treating it rough.

However, my wife has the Nano and recently got the Sport Kit. It's pretty stellar. In many ways I am jealous. I'd say if the Sport Kit is at all appealing, get the Nano, but if it's not, Shuffle all the way since you have a more robust iPod to compliment it.

13. Lau Guest

Yes, you can, you just need to find a way of attaching it to the laces or the tongue of your shoe. One way has been to velcro it to the tongue of your shoe, and then lace the shoes over it, and another way is to cut a slit on the underside of the tongue and put it in the tongue. Other brave souls have carved a bit of the sole and put the insole over it. There's a thread somewhere about it, I'll have a look.

Edit: I think the info might be in here somewhere. :)

14. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

I have the shuffle and it's great for running. But I also plan to buy a nano for the Nike+ kit. If you buy a shuffle though, I would recommend this armband

It can be used as an armband or a beltclip.

15. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

"Ron Burgundy: Oop... I almost forgot. I won't be able to make it fellas. Veronica and I trying this new fad called uh, jogging. I believe it's jogging or yogging. it might be a soft j. I'm not sure but apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild."

Marathon? That's that thing where you run for 42 kilometres right? Without catching a bus? Um, why?

Never mind, I'm three sheets in the wind right now. [​IMG]

16. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

I currently use a Nano for the gym. I would recommend the shuffle. Since you will probably make a playlist for the gym anyway you won't need to see what song is playing. Since the playlist will be for the gym you will hardly even touch the thing. Why spend the extra money if you don't need to. Unless you will be using the thing in your car or other places.

17. BoyBach thread starter macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I think I'll go for the Shuffle plus a 'Running' playlist...but the Nike kit looks so tempting :(

18. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

I say go with the Nano - again, for the Nike + Kit (and the screen). I'm not a runner (I'm really pathetic), but I've been doing it lately for the exercise (and cuz I feel really satisfied when I'm finished, lol).

I only run two miles at a time (nothing compared to iGary, I know), but the Nike + Kit is really, really nice - especially its ability to sync with Nike.com.

19. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

As Lau has correctly described... yes! You can find instructions, along with other tips and lots of good comments HERE.

20. DaveP macrumors 6502

DaveP

I have a 512 shuffle, if only because I'm afraid of getting jumped and someone swiping a more expensive nano.

21. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

22. BoyBach thread starter macrumors 68040

BoyBach

23. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Um, baseball bat wasn't one of the tips... you only need to use some common sense. Anyway, shuffles are just as easy to steal as nanos.

24. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I think either would suit. I use a nano for running, gym etc and its perfect. If your on a budget and mind no screen perhaps go for the shuffle?

25. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

shuffle, I don't know what the person above is on about sweat. I constantly sweat and carry my shuffle in my pant pockets. I've never had any issues with it. Going on at least 3 months now.