An MP3 lecture on God

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Kalns, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

http://www.livingwaters.com/listenwatch.shtml

Okay, here's the thing, I'm studying religion and frankly I'm just really really curious to see what people who don't hold the belief that Jesus is their salvation think when hearing a message like this one. The lecture is given by a pastor from New Zealand by the name of Ray Comfort. I had to listen to this for one of my classes and that's what got me intrigued about seeing what people of other belief systems think after hearing it. It is an hour long, but if any of you would be willing to listen and give your gut level impressions, I would very much love to hear them.

2. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

GASP, he's prosletizing. I was born in to chrstianity, I think I have good moral values because of it. However, there's no way I think anyone can convince anyone else by hour long lecture alone.

3. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

I'm downloading it now and I'll listent to it tomorrow if I get a chance.

4. Kalns thread starter macrumors regular

Kalns

Thanks J26!

And Carbon, I'm not trying to convert anyone. Just trying to get some thoughts from non Christians about something of a Christian nature.

Oh and it's available in Russian, French and Tagalog....whatever that is lol :D

5. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Oh, it's just one of those godless languages.

6. Kalns thread starter macrumors regular

Kalns

You got something on your mind then just say it directly Milo.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Not willing to listen, but typically, when I hear people preach to me, I begin to feel rage build up and with I had a large, heavy blunt object with me or some other violent thought. There ya go, that's my thoughts and gut level impression.

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

ethnic language spoken in the philippines.

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Another Jew for Jesus. Us Kiwis have our own share of loopy Christian nutters...

The guy is a complete cretin, obviously lip-smackingly fond of the Old Testament, and was quite happy to parrot the line about Hurricane Katrina being 'God's judgement on a sinful city'.

http://www.worldviewweekend.com/secure/cwnetwork/article.php?ArticleID=274

I suggest people like this have little of value to add to society at all. Give the man a banana.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

kalns- dude. Seriously. This isn't the way to accomplish your goals. All I hear is the usual fire and brimstone. You've really lost me here. I would think you'd post something more positive.

11. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I agree Lee, all this negativity in the name of god, and somehow in kains' view meant to prove that his god exists, is just way over the top. Isn't god about love and compassion? How can you listen to someone who only speaks of fire and brimstone?

Is hate essential to your belief system?

12. takao macrumors 68040

takao

because it fits the topic:
    little story about my grand-uncle getting visited by 2 young mormon missionaries, and being a nice guy invited them in the house for a drink which they of course used for their memorized "best working" sentences trying to convince him. After like half an hour of their preaching getting countered sentence after sentence they started to run out of things to say to convince him and one of them said: "... you seem to have a rather vast knowledge about the bible..." to which my grand uncle answered: "I think i have to admit that i studied Theology for more than 6 years before i became a catholic priest as which i am working for more than 30 years now"

needless to say that both young guys had to leave because they had another appointment and a minute later they were already around the street corner ;)

13. Kalns thread starter macrumors regular

Kalns

See and this is what I wanted to know. I said from the begging I wasn't trying to convert anyone. I just wanted to hear your responses to this teaching. While I seriously doubt many of you who've commented actually listened, I certainly find your reactions interesting.

14. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well i read 1 1/2 pages of the transcript and after that it was already clear where it was heading
    and i wouldn't call it "teaching"

15. Kalns thread starter macrumors regular

Kalns

Please, listen, don't read. I'm sure you all know how much can be lost apart from the tone of the speakers voice. I can see very easily how you'd see fire and brimstone just from the transcript. I assure you, the words take on a different meaning entirely when spoken.

16. Kalns thread starter macrumors regular

Kalns

While I'm here, Ugg, would you say I'm a hateful person? And if so, why?

17. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I didn't think I was being terribly subtle. OK, I think that saying "whatever that is, LOL" about a language that millions use shows something of a lack of curiosity about other cultures.

18. takao macrumors 68040

takao

that's why i rather read it because you don't have to bother with rhetoric and can get to the core much faster (also i read faster than most people preach and i'm only on isdn here and didn't want to wait)
    after all you asked about the teachings and not about the presentation

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You want us to listen, but I'm sure if I told you to go listen to, oh, I dunno, maybe the song "Cult" by Slayer, you'd take one look at the lyrics and run away screaming. :rolleyes:

20. Kalns thread starter macrumors regular

Kalns

It was a joke Milo. Relax.

21. Kalns thread starter macrumors regular

Kalns

Link me up to the lyrics then. ;)

22. takao macrumors 68040

takao

23. Kalns thread starter macrumors regular

Kalns

Okay, read the lyrics. What does that song do for you personally?

24. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Just started listening, and I'm not sure how far I'll get into it (I'm at work), but my initial thoughts:

The first part talks about making a "decision for Christ" and how 80-90% of those decisions are essentially rescinded when counting the number of people "in fellowship" which I can only assume to mean those who come to church regularly.

This may seem to be a large number, but in my experience, it seems quite common...even human. As a Catholic, one thing that I don't understand about my protestant brothers and sisters is the concept of being "saved." Rather, being a Christian, and living as a Christian, is a process- and one which involves plenty of high points and low points, plenty of places where I feel like I'm doing God's will, and others where I struggle much more mightily.

If being saved means a full on commitment to Christ, then I can easily see how 80-90 percent of the people who, at one point, make that commitment, can struggle and not honor that commitment fully. (Please forgive me...the words aren't coming out as easily and precisely as I'd like...I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.)

The second thing that strikes me, (and for those following along with the transcript, I'm not quite through the first page,) is that the speeding analogy doesn't really vibe with me. I "get" it, believe me, I do, but I think that Christianity should be so much more than that.

In essence, the paying off of the $25000 speeding ticket only serves to "cover" for some wrong that I've done, whether I understand what I did wrong (as in the second half of the example) or not (as in the first half). Christianity should be about so much more than just having our sins "paid for."

The analogy would be more accurate to me if the fine was $12,500, and someone gave me $25k to cover it. There, my fine would be paid for, AND I'd receive this wonderfully POSITIVE (not just cancelling a negative) gift. Again, to me, Christianity is not just about knowing that Christ died for my sins, but knowing that He lives within me. Does that make any sense?

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That was insulting. If you don't like our reactions, don't ask for them. I was trying to be nice before, kalns. But hey I'll let my real reaction out, I did listen and it was disgusting. The man is a real jerk. I read Bluevelvet's link too. That guy is just full of bile.