An odd point

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by miloblithe, Feb 8, 2004.

1. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

What about people who are born with partially formed male genetalia, have a little surgery, and are then raised female. Would they be allowed to marry men under these new laws? What if they (as they often do) discover their medical history and switch their sexual identity back to being male. Would they then be allowed to marry women?

I realize that this is a kind of silly question, but it reflects the real world that "defense of marriage" folks who want the world to be like fifties TV shows refuse to see.

2. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Don't see why not. Under the Massachusetts law, sure. In an "anti-gay" state, they're not entering into homosexual unions. Anti-gay types are more forgiving of physical problems than of what they perceive as a mental problem.

'Rat

3. vniow macrumors G4

Re: An odd point

Even though this was likely a reply to a thread instead of a new one altogether...

The laws that determine who you may marry and who you may not in this country in regards to gender are determined by your legal identification, not your personal or physical identification, ie if you were born male but get your ID changed to female, then you could marry someone who has "M" on their ID but you couldn't marry someone with an "F" on it.

If they get their ID changed then yes they would be able to but they would no longer be able to marry men unless they were married before the ID change, I believe marriges are still valid in this country when the gender marker has been changed, just so long as the couple were married as opposite sexes (in the eyes of the law at least).

Not a silly question at all, its a shame that when people are talking about GLBT issues, the "T" often gets left out. This is one of the reasons why I believe that the belief that its only proper or right or whatever to marry someone of the opposite sex is rather silly since sex itself is so variant and fluidic that you can't really discriminate against one without enveloping the rest of it.

Unless they come into contact with a transsexual (different from what was first described above) because as we all know, all transsexuals are just gay boys in drag, no matter that not all who fit under the term transsexual are born male or are even remotely attracted to them.

4. miloblithe thread starter macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Thanks vniow. I think that was the point I was trying, albeit clumsily, to make.

(And you're right that I meant to post this in another thread. I'm such a bonehead.)