An odd problem involving image CDs burned on a Power Mac G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by marbleduck, Apr 1, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Aug 14, 2010
    You can tell by the fact that it says "power mac G4", that these CDs were burned a long time ago. Well, a long time ago, in terms of technology. There are a couple hundred CDs, containing a whole bunch of photos, each around 70MB.

So I finally told myself I was going to copy all the stuff from CD and get it on my Hackintosh (2600K CPU/GTX670 GPU/Z68xp-ud3p mobo), but when I go to put in the CD, it is shown as empty, except for a single image (which is odd, because the image is only around 134KB, when I know for a fact all the images I took scanned at around 50MB):

So I figure, okay, this is a problem with Finder. So I go download an alternate file browser:

Alright, great! They're showing up. But when I go to copy them...

Nope :( . So then I go and do it the command-line way:

So then I go and try the same thing on my ancient iBook G4. Boom. It works.
    This leads me to believe that this is a problem with the compatibility between discs burned in the 10.3/10.4 era and 10.8.

Any ideas? I'd like to get this things onto my HDDs.
  2. macrumors G3

Aug 31, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    I think it's more a compatibility between Mac/PC. You mentioned that you used a Hackintosh. PC with OSX installed right?

In the old days the burns tended to be for Mac (at least with Toast anyway). You could specify Mac/PC for the burn though, but it wasn't a default.

Every week I make a burn of our newspaper documents. And I have to burn as Mac/PC because if I don't the PCs cannot see the disk. Our Macs can see burned PC disks, but not the other way around.

I'm just guessing that's what's going on here. Just a guess as I know you had issues with your Intel Mac and technically a Hackintosh is a Mac.
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 14, 2010
    I do remember specifying that this CD should be a Mac disc. It probably is just the fact that the disc was burned for a PPC mac, and unrecognizable by my Intel mac.

It would be a lot simpler to transfer the discs straight to the Hackintosh rather than going from disc to ibook G4 to Hackintosh, especially seeing as I have 3 CD/DVD drives on my Hackintosh.