an old adb mouse is thwarting me

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by homeshire, Oct 16, 2003.

1. homeshire macrumors regular

my 6 yr. old PPC 6500/250, inherited by the kids and working like a charm -- except for the mouse. it is, quite simply, shot. where can i get another? conversely, at one point i added a pci card with 2 usb ports. so theoretically(?) i could add a newer usb mouse. but, how would i navigate to install the driver for it?
    am thinking of just giving kids full rights on my newer machine, and reclaiming the old 6500 as a hard drive backup, etc. so it really is fairly important to me that i get everything working on it. the mouse is then a real problem. can anyone help/guide me? thanks :)

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

ooo, i've never been thwarted by a mouse before. how exotic. ;) I have a box of dozens of these somewhere, shame i don't have any idea where it is or i'd give you a couple. Your best shot is eBay, where i'm sure they have a ton, so they should be dirt cheap-- i wouldn't expect to pay more than a couple bucks for one, and a couple more for shipping. ideally you should get it delivered for under $10, maybe that's optimistic.

here's one for $2 tho they say the "ladies luv it", which would probably make me want to disinfect it before using it...

:)
    pnw

3. homeshire thread starter macrumors regular

here's one for $2 tho they say the "ladies luv it", which would probably make me want to disinfect it before using it...

:)
    pnw [/B][/QUOTE]

thanks -- have placed a bid. suspect i'll pay more for shipping then for the mouse. :D

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I got a cleaned up one from my local apple retailer (not an apple store) for $10 i think. They had a box of them from old computers they had reclaimed, and let me pick the one i wanted. Sure saved my ass when i was doing a clean install of 8.6 on my Performa 6400 and the USB mouse I was using wouldn't work. ;)

5. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

6. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

FWIW -- which probably isn't much now that you've made arrangements to acquire a replacement ADB mousie -- you don't need a driver for USB mouse or keyboard. Just plug 'em in.

(I suppose if you wanted to plug in a 3-button USB mouse and use it under MacOS 9 you'd need a driver to make use of the other two buttons)

7. homeshire thread starter macrumors regular

ahunter3 --

i discovered that just a while ago. with nothing better to do, i took my pro mouse from my new system and stuck it into a usb port on the pci card i installed. imagine my shock ( and yes i acknowledge my ignorance) when it worked perfectly. that's nice in an emergency, but no way the kids are gettting my mouse. i'll still get a cheap replacement.

8. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

Not only that, but any old PC mouse or keyboard will work fine, too.

(And vice versa. My PC-using girlfriend loves her diminuitive original iMac keyboard)

9. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

under os9 you can use the right click w/o a drive but the scroll wheel or scroll slick will not work without a third party driver.

MS is good in this department.

10. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude