An old problem, but one I didn't find an answer to.

Discussion in 'iPod' started by scian22, Mar 18, 2007.

1. scian22 macrumors newbie

So, I'm new here. I did a cursory check to see if I could find the answer to my question, and didn't, and then I wound up here.

So, I just got a cd from a friend. And I got the files onto my computer, and I opened them. And then iTunes proceeded to put them in the wrong order in the library. They aren't part of a compilation, the track numbers are all in the info, and it doesn't matter if I sort by album or artist. It just puts the songs out of order. Now, I can fix this in a playlist, I know, but it's happened before and it bothers me when the library is out of order.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=114793

That thread addresses it, but didn't give me an answer. Anyone know how to fix this?

2. SPinc33 macrumors member

Get info on the tracks (CMD+I or right click) and look at the track numbers. Change them accordingly...hopefully this will solve it.

3. calculus Guest

calculus

When you say 'in the wrong order' is it entirely random or is there some logic to it e.g. are they in alphabetical order.

Also is this an audio CD or one containing MP3 or similar files?

4. scian22 thread starter macrumors newbie

All the files are AAC m4a files. The files were all sent via internet. There is actually only one song that won't fit in, in this case, although there have been others that are more mixed up. The track numbers are all correct, but the order shows up as 1 3 2 4 5 6 for songs, and the one mistake is totally random, as it is with most of the others. They all play and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with any of the info or file names.

5. bored911 macrumors 6502

bored911

I had this happen to me once. try changing the file names (keeping track of what you named them) then just switch them back. Good luck!

6. scian22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Should I change the names in iTunes itself or should I change the actual file names in the iTunes library on the computer?