An oldy but a goodie!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Macmaniac, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I was watching Forrest Gump for the first time(which is pretty pathetic) and I saw something really cool!! Early Apple ad placement...
    Forrest Gump:" I never went back to work fot Lt. Dan, but he did take care of my Bubba Gump money. He invested me in some kind of fruit company. So then I got a call from them saying we don't have to worry about money no more."

Have a look, from the movie!!

Attached Files:

• gump.jpg
      gump.jpg
      File size:
      70.3 KB
      Views:
  2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

ha ha ha!!! :D

u know I remember that now that is has been pointed out to me...

pretty funny...I also noticed in the tv show CSI there was someone using a TiBook...interesting...

3. iwantanewmac macrumors 6502

You are so right!
    That IS an oldie. :p

I can't even remeber how many years ago it was. And I didnt even own a MAC then. ow yeah a //c. and a C64 and an Amiga 2000.
    mmmmmm.
    Bet there were better things around then. BW G3?

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

He would have been better off investing in MS, but that wouldn't have been the same I guess. It was a very cool shot.

And the new movie 'About the Boy' has an Apple Cube and LCD. Just another Apple in the movies placement, got to love that:D

5. iwantanewmac macrumors 6502

I don't want to be an ***hole or something but what's the big deal?
    It's always nice to see a mac in a movie, but have
    you seen how many wintel crao there is in movies?

6. MR Lurker macrumors newbie

7. macfreek57 macrumors 6502

macs are everywhere in movies/tv/commercials. the one brand i see the most is apple by a longshot

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

For Apple to have such a small market share, ~5%, they are disproportionately in evidence in movies, that's why. Because of the design and looking cool, you see them more often. Hey, its not the best reason, but its reason enough to talk about it. There have even been several threads on the subject of macs on TV and in the movies.

9. Onyxx macrumors regular

I remember a while back, this came up when someone saw macs in a couple of tv shows. They asked about this and another poster answered that this was because the tech/graphics crews work macs so they donate them as props in the shows. Maybe it wasnt this forum, but thats the info.

As for macs only being for the good guys, ever see Unbreakable?
    The earliest "hero mac" i remember are the laptops in Hackers (which the credits say were supplied by apple) or the laptop in Independence day. There are probably many others but i remember those.

10. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

yes I noticed that...he had a whole room full of G4s...I almost had an accident when I saw it...he he he ;)

on an interesting note...did anyone happen to notice in Office Space...the displays were Apple Displays...and the OS being shown while installing the virus into the company's mainframe was Mac OS? :D

11. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Well, the guy used to insert the virus in Independence Day is a Powerbook 5300, just like the one I had at that time.

BTW, a friend of mine just told me that lats saturday another friend of our got his Pismo stolen in a party! He had the bag with every possible accesory (even a battery charger for the car) and the computter got stolen. Well, he didn't have to take the computer to that party in first place, he was working on the lighting (it was some kind of big event) but he could print all the information he needed it in 2 piece of papers.

The lesson: Do not forget they are highly portables.

12. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

as for unbreakable: that's the exception to the good guy rule...

office space... i was pretty sure about the apple on the monitors. but don't specifically recall the os

i hope to buy it tomorrow.

13. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Re: only goodies use Macs
    Those three evil nerd guys in Buffy use Macs...

Re: Apple in Forest Gump
    I seem to recall that the Apple logo seen in the screenshot above had not actually been invented at the time that part of the movie was set...

14. Macette macrumors 6502

Last night on Secret Life of Us (Australian grown-up soap), there was:

a white ibook
    a G3 imac
    a tibook
    and a cinema screen (22inch i think).

in ONE HOUR! was wetting self. girlfriend was sitting at other end of couch, head in hands.

noticed buffy nerds using apples last night too, beej.

15. Macmaniac thread starter macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

It took me awhile to take that picture, because I had to wait for the black lines to go to a spot where you could see the logo. I think that logo was around when they set that scene, it has been around for a long time.

16. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

cool deal...let me know if your's has all the extras... ;)

17. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I might have to go out and buy that myself. I don't remember the Apple monitors in Office Space, or the OS for that matter, weird, I usually pic up on that. And for what they were doing, that was definitely an exception, a company like Initech would be mostly PCs. Got to like Hollywood....

18. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

here's where it gets better...

there's the part where Peter is trying to get out of the office before Lumberg gets to him...and he's waiting for his system to finish saving & shut down before he heads out...

once it finishes...the windows all close up...leading to a blank screen with a flashing green DOS prompt...pretty odd I'd say...

but yes...they should have been all PC...just goes to show u they love using Macs for computer systems in movies...;)

19. kansaigaijin macrumors 6502

rainbow apple logo

I have not seen the movie, when does Forrest get the letter from the Co?

here is Jobs circa 1979. Notice the boxes in the background with the rainbows.

and the r-logo can be seen on the AII (1980)

Attached Files: