An Open Letter to MacRumors Regarding Pop-unders

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by redwullf, Mar 31, 2005.

1. redwullf macrumors newbie

So, I stopped by MacRumors today to see what's new in the rumor mill when, quite surprisingly, I received the following pop-under:

[​IMG]

The recent increase in crafty pop-unders effecting Safari and Mac Firefox users is well-documented in many forums. There are even some solutions out there. However...

There's no small degree of pride and satisfaction among Mac users that have, historically, never suffered the plague of spyware, adware, pop-ups, pop-unders, trojans, viruses, link hijackers, etc. Now some cunning Web advertisers have found ways to circumvent our very clear desire to BLOCK POP-UPS. The complete disregard for our preferred user experience on the Web is shameful enough, but to then discover that a website dedicated to the Macintosh community has allowed one of these advertisers to slide unrequested windows under our browser is, simply, unacceptable.

Each time an advertiser finds a nefarious new way to circumvent our desired browsing experience, OS and software developers (Apple, for example) have to spend resources and money to defeat the new measure. These are resources better spent improving our existing experience, not fixing weaknesses that are exploited by shameless advertisers.

One way we, in the Macintosh community, can begin to express our displeasure with these advertisers is to completely shun their business on our websites. If an advertiser wants to put an ad on your site that offers something valuable, simply make sure that the ad at least frames useful content. If the advertisor wants to intrude on our clearly communicated browsing experience by opening windows we never requested, tell them where they can go.

Stop the plague among Mac users. Find your local neighborhood Windows user and sympathize with their horrible browsing experience and remember how fortunate we are to surf the Web on a Mac. Please fire your advertisers if they have no regard for the Macintosh community and our preferred Internet experience.

Thank you,
    Redwullf

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Hey there.

sorry about that. The way the site has worked for some time is that archived articles over one calender year old have had some pop-unders enabled.

Front page, recent articles, and forums have not had any pop-unders.

I'll reassess this since you are right there have been workarounds developed on them.

arn

3. redwullf thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the double-post

My apologies for the double-post, it was unintentional. I just wanted the open letter out there, I'm not trying to swarm the forum with duplicates.

Thank you,
    Redwullf