an open letter to those who signed up to complain about the keynote

Discussion in 'Macworld San Francisco 2008' started by shecky, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Guest

May 24, 2003
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

welcome to macrumors.

you just followed along with the keynote and no doubt you have decided to sign up to MR Forums just to vent your frustration with any/all of the following:

1. apple just released a new version of something you just bought a week ago.
    2. apple just released a new version of something you just bought 15 days or longer ago.
    3. apple just released a new version of something you just bought 7 months ago.
    4. apple did not release something you totally expected them to.
    5. apple did release something you totally did not expect them to.
    6. apple just released something you want to buy and for a good price but with a dumb name.
    7. apple just released something you want to buy and for a good price but the black one is $200 more.
    8. apple released something you would have bought if only they had told you they were going to release it a few months ago, when you already spent your money on a different product that you have spent on the new thing had you known it was coming.
    9. Steve looked sick.
    10. Phil Schiller looked bloated.
    11. you could not understand Bertrand Serlet's accent.
    12. Roz Ho from MS makes you feel funny inside.
    13. Jony Ive was too subdued.
    14. Steve kept saying "boom".
    15. Steve wore the same outfit he wore at the last Keynote.

the regulars here at MR would like to let you know the following:

a. we have heard it all before
    b. apple is in a business to make a profit.
    c. innovation means new product.
    d. just because something new came out does not mean what you have now suddenly stops working.
    e. if you knew enough to come here right after the keynote to complain, you should have also known enough to come here before you bought something to find out what the expected announcements might be.
    f. apple will often let you return/exchance recently bought product for the new one (within 14 days or so.)
    g. if you just ordered something from apple 3 days ago and it has not yet shipped and apple released a new one, you will most likely be getting the new one, not the old one.
    h. Roz Ho makes everyone feel kind of funny inside.

other members of our illustrious family will add to this list i am sure.

welcome to apple.

welcome to MR.

we love you all.
  2. macrumors regular

Sep 28, 2007
    you forgot "wow that device is awesome but only 8GB ! What's that about ? Apple has forgotten its grass roots userbase in only offering 8GB. Also the price is way too much. No one will buy this product I'm mean who would want it ? It needs 160GB hard drive and about $200 cheaper before I buy it. etc. etc. etc. etc."
  3. macrumors 68000

Oct 17, 2006
    Outstanding post, maybe a day early in my view, but more importantly an great post! I think (e) pretty much defines my views on this matter, I could not have said it better myself. As if the number of posts in the last five days asking "should I buy a (insert Apple product here)" were not surprising/frustrating enough, the number of complaints articulated by Shecky boggles the mind.

However, like Shecky said, we love you and welcome. Now enjoy the show:apple:
  4. thread starter Guest

May 24, 2003
    true, but i was hoping to build up the list with other people's contributions in the 24 hours before the keynote. :)
  5. macrumors 68020

Oct 24, 2007
    lmao, this should be made a sticky in every forum once the keynote has finished.
  6. macrumors 601

Aug 29, 2006
    If you knew enough to come here before or after the keynote, you should check check the Buyer's Guide.
  7. macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    i got a laugh out of it. sad because its true.
  8. macrumors 68040

Mar 24, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
    as in double check the buyers guide?

i hear ya and totally agree :p
  9. macrumors 603

Dec 11, 2006
  10. thread starter Guest

May 24, 2003
    did she? i did not know that. even so, she still gives me a residual creepy feeling.
  11. macrumors regular

Jan 8, 2007
    On the road
    Couldn't agree more. There's nothing worse than some newbie being all :eek: and :confused: and :mad: because he made a stupid mistake.

Nice post.
  12. macrumors 65816

Sep 15, 2007
    in a great place
  13. macrumors 68020

Oct 24, 2007
    Or this:

there are times when I wished that there were no smilies with the exception of the apple. (or at least a limit on number of smilies per post)
  14. macrumors 6502

Mar 1, 2007
    You forgot the best one

.Apple just released a product and you don't like the graphics card
  15. macrumors 68000

Apr 10, 2007
    Quality stuff. It will unfortunately be largely ignored by the very people it was intended for. But if it stops just one stupid post tomorrow...
  16. macrumors 6502

Jul 8, 2005
    Santa Rosa, California
    Another good one and probably can be added to what you already wrote...

Apple released a new product and in 3 months they are going to lower the price so Apple should give everyone a $100 credit just because of innovation...

And I liked the one a few above my post about the Apple not giving the graphics option, nice touch!

P.S. Congrats too on posting, great post. If I had posted something like this I'd been crucified and been flamed up and down (among other things) until the thread was locked for having this kind of opinion.
  17. macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    Albeit funny, an open letter should still exercise some level of punctuation.
    Too bad this "letter" and any "letter" that follows suit will not reduce the amount of bitching. This site would not be what it is today if someone didn't complain about something.
  18. macrumors 68040

But there'll be someone will be moaning on the issues of the Keynote.. And will last 'til NAB then repeat the cycle 'til WWDC and repeat ..

But you get my drift .. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  19. macrumors regular

Sep 3, 2006
    Dublin, Ireland
    Well of course in the interest of balance, there are the alternate open letters....

You know the ones where everyone says how wonderful Steve is, How hilariously funny Bertrand was and how he nailed Gates and the MS team, how wonderfully informative Scott Forestall was and just overall how earth shatteringly amazing Apple really is and how far behind the 8 Ball MS really is and how Steve seems to get on so well with the CEO's of Intel, Adobe, AT&T, Wolfram Research and whoever else gets to go up on stage....

But everyone will at least agree that Phil is way too fat!! :D
  20. thread starter Guest

May 24, 2003
    thats a good point:

thanks for keeping the tradition alive! :)
  21. macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2007
    New York City & South Florida
    even though I'm only rated as a "macrumors member," i still loved the post =)
  22. macrumors 6502a

Jan 26, 2004
    Northern Hemisphere (Norway)
    Very funny! :D

… and it's gonna make reading the coming (post expo) rush of posts so much funnier! :p
  23. macrumors 68040

Dec 2, 2003
  24. macrumors 68020

May 30, 2007
    Midwest USA
    Excellent post.

But you forgot about the new Mac user who signs up to shriek about the cost of Apple BTO RAM or hard drives.
  25. macrumors 68020

Aug 30, 2006
    Yes, can we please get this stickied.

Not that it'll stop most of the newbies who've come here to moan, but it should stop a few, and that's a few less wasteful threads.