An Spy in my Mac!!! I need your help

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by mymemory, May 7, 2002.

1. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Today I was sending an e-mail to a bunch of people who was leaving their Names and ID in a supicius web site. Now, one of the people who go my warning mail told me I got a trojan horse! He told me that when he was here in Venezuela some one placed one in his laptop, he is almost sure was the cubans in his hotel. If this is true or not he told me he placed a firewall soft in his computer.

Now, how do I get a firewall soft for my mac? I'm in a DSL so I'm basicly "naked" about protection.

I'm moving and filtering information about the goverment back and foward all day long and analising sites that are getting information for the intelligence personel of the president (most of the cubans).

So, it is very important for me to learn some techniques.

Thank you very much from the venezuelan people:)

2. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

2 questions to get us started.

1. Are you using Dynamic or Static IP's?

2. Are you using OS 9 or OS X?

3. mymemory thread starter macrumors 68020

mymemory

OS 9.2

The IP is dynamic but looks pretty static to me. I do not know when the IP changes, if is every time I restart the computer or the DSL modem.

4. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

www.thescreensavers.com recently (in the last couple of shows) did some series on free firewall software for both PC's and Macs. They also had some advice for people who were worried about security.

One thing they said was that if you believe you have a trojan horse, you can disconnect from the net, backup everything, reinstall your OS, then install your new firewall, then reconnect to the net to wipe out any horses.

There is also a link off screensavers web site from yesterdays show of a site that tests your computer for open ports and potential security threats.

5. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

If it's dynamic......

it usually cycles whenever you log out/in if you are using a DSL client-side DHCP login.

If you don't do a login procedure to get on then your best bet is either Norton Personal Firewall or best of all a DHCP router with firewall.