An Surprising Potential Switcher Story

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Makosuke, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Makosuke macrumors 603

I like reading others' stories of "spreading the love", and I've got a surprising one of my own today, albeit a bit long winded.

I work in a research lab with a high percentage of Macs--about 3/4 if you don't count test stations. There are, however, several conspicuous Windows holdouts:

1) The grad student who'd always used Windows and made sure to mock Macs when the chance arose.
    2) The engineer who'd always used Windows and was open minded, but skeptical of leaving Windows.
    3) The old-time electronics and business system guy who never misses a chance to insult Macs, particularly when me, the Mac guy, is in earshot. (He also knows enough to complain about all other technology, but the Mac digs were frequent and pointed.)
    4) The really old-time programmer who is mostly happy with a command line but uses Windows out of habit despite hating MS (and just about everything else corporate--his IE shortcut says "Internet Exploiter"). Would use Unix or Linux but for the hassle, as he's something of a born-again luddite in his spare time who prefers to nurse along a 133MHz Pentium at home.

Here's what's happened within the last year:

Person #1 was shopping for a laptop, and came to me saying basically "Gee, these PowerBooks are looking really good, but do you think it's a good idea to actually buy one?" He eventually did, and has become a hardcore Mac convert, loudly wondering why anybody puts up with Windows and sometimes bringing in his laptop to plop down in front of his PC at work.

Person #2 took a look at a Mac a few years ago when he bought a laptop, but ended up going Wintel despite my gentle prodding. Well, just a few weeks ago, he comes to me again, this time not asking whether he should look at a Mac, but which one to get. Garage Band had sold him, as it did exactly what he wanted for zero additional expense. He actually bought an iBook this time, and has so far been happy.

Well, today the unthinkable happened; person #3 remarked to me that it was getting to be time for a new computer, and maybe it was time to get a Mac. Basically he summed it up with "It couldn't possibly be worse than Windows, and at least there are less viruses." Based on working with the guy for 8 years I never would've seen this coming, and yet there he was saying it.

Don't know whether he'll actually go for it or not, but if he does that'll be the most hardcore Windows user I've ever met switching, and the fact that he's even thinking about it says something for the sorry state of Windows today.

I wonder if this is just around me, or if it's a sign that some critical mass (or mass failure on MS's part) has been reached...

2. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

So the obvious question is, what about person number four?

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Awesome story Makosuke. It would appear that people are getting more and more receptive to using a Mac nowadays! :D

Good job on helping the first three switch, now you just need to convince person #4! :)

4. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Great story!

I have seen a trend, with 5 friends and family members switching over the past couple of years. I have 2 more in the works.

However, this is a critical time for Apple. One of my first switchers just got a great Gateway system for such a good price, he is using his PC quite often now. His powerbook is still in use, but I fear that unless Apple systems get back in the game performance/price wise, this switching will slow down. :(

5. Makosuke thread starter macrumors 603

I'm actually chalking him up in the category of "better served by something else" (yes, that category does exist), but then he's pretty much a lost cause from a Win perspective, too; like I said, he's really into "living light", and the chances of him buying a new computer are zero--he's been trying to see how much of his (already upgraded) 133MHz P1 system he can salvage if he upgrades it from used (scrap, really) parts.

To quote: "When I bring my computer in to get repaired, first they laugh at me, then they fix it."

The only Mac he'd probably consider would be an older used one, and I doubt he'd go for it; Linux or an open source Unix variant on old x86 hardware would be more likely. It ain't for lack of money, either--the fellow worked on the early development of the cell phone at Motorola, so he's pretty well off.

Maybe true, but it's worth noting that none of the three people I've mentioned (and again, I didn't push any of them--they all came to this conclusion on their own) used price/performance as a big part of the decisionmaking process--one liked the PB hardware from an objective standpoint, one liked the MacOS and iLife, and one is just so sick of Windows that even a completely free PC wouldn't seem like a good idea.

So, I'm not sure I agree with you as it applies to most folks. Heck, thanks in part to Intel's having to chew its own foot off on the MHz myth in combination with a slowing in processor development and the fact that even older computers are plenty for the average user has lead to people paying less attention to those fancy numbers than they did in the heyday of Intel's media blitz.

6. slimflem macrumors regular

slimflem

I just made the switch at home last week by purchasing a new maxed out PowerBook 15". Damn I love this thing. I switched my mom over a few months ago to a Mac Mini. She loves it, I love it. OS X really is very good and such a breath of fresh air compared to using Windows. I'll never go back.

7. seriypshick macrumors member

seriypshick

My sister is switching tomorow (Actually today since it's past 12 allready).

8. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

After several years of a couple of Mac friends unsuccessfully trying to get me to switch...

it was the iPod that got me over the line.
    When iTunes for Windows came out - I was hooked on my iPod... and then within months - didn't just switch but became quite a devout Mac snob.

Since this time I think I have "assisted" "shaped" "convinced" "aided" 6 friends... with another two on the verge! These six don't include the number of people I have "helped convince" to buy an iPod... that number is much higher! Mmm maybe I should become an Apple reseller!?!?!

Great switching story though mate!