An unholy marriage: My X-Box and iMac?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by miked_in_canada, Aug 12, 2005.

1. miked_in_canada macrumors member

Hi there, while my iMac is in the shop with a failed hard drive I wanted to pick some brains as to how I could connect my X Box to my iMac.

My X Box is modded with the linux based Evox dashboard. I've been able to connect it to my Dell via a crossover cable and an ftp client (my x box has an ip address and is set up to receive ftp connections). The question is, how do I make this happen with my iMac?

I've also heard that I don't need a crossover cable, is that true?

Any and all help, is greatly appreciated.

2. chubsta macrumors newbie

Not sure about the 'crossover' cable bit, but i have my xbox connected to my router, and just connect via that. For software, i use 'Captain FTP' which gives transfer speeds around the 7-8mbps mark, which is faster than i ever acheived when i had a PC. For transferring games etc i always use 'Xbox ISO Extractor' as this takes all the files from the iso and sends them to whatever folder you want on the xbox.

Xbox and Mac work very well together!

3. RJP31484 macrumors regular

The ethernet port on newer macs will recognize what you are trying to do, and automatically "switch" the wires around, so no, you do not need a crossover cable.

4. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

As said above, the G5 iMacs (as well as the PM G5s, AlBooks and G4 iBooks) have MDX network cards, which detect the type of connection, and switch the pins over when necessery

5. miked_in_canada thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Especially the ISOExtractor bit. The DVD drive on my X Box is tempermental at best, and I'd like to get the new version of Fifa onto it at some point.

Thanks!

6. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    You should try Unleash X and XBMC. Evox is cool, but it's very limited in functionality. *sigh* Captain FTP doesn't tell you anything when a connection error happens, FETCH will. I'd use that over any FTP app for Mac. Transmit is a waste of time.

7. chubsta macrumors newbie

8. mackaveli macrumors regular

hey, do you know where i can get Xbox Iso extractor for mac? i googled it but i didnt get any main links for it.

I use to transfer the iso's to my pc then to my xbox this is soo much better. thanks

9. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Dont know about to the xbox ( don't know why it wouldn't work) but why not try finder Go>Connect to server> and type in ftp://ip address/

Or there is always fetch.app for those really testy ftp sites.