An urgent advice needed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by juhani, Dec 30, 2004.

1. juhani macrumors member

juhani

Ok, here's the deal: My holiday starts on 10th January and I've been planning to buy myself one of those laptops for that time. But now I hear people talking about that MacWorld San Francisco conference which is between 10th-14th January and hopefully brings some price drop. So should I postpone my holiday (god damn I don't want to do that) and wait some more or rather - is that event worth waiting for and hoping to get better laptops with better prices??? Also, as I'm in UK, would these new models be available in UK right away? And which way would you go: to buy the best iBook (14" Superdrive w/ added RAM & bluetooth) or the cheapest PowerBook (12" Combo without any upgrade) or perhaps maxed out 12" iBook???

Thaks in advance,
    juhani

PS. And what the hell is wrong with apple.com??? The computer here in local library doesn't download any graphics and everything's messed up there?

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

why do you need it so urgently? why would this make you postpone your vacation? i'm confused...

3. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

You use the Mac in your life, not use your life in the Mac

4. rozwell macrumors regular

again, do a search for other conversations on the topic, but i would max out an iBook and be done with it. they are cheaper, and when maxed out they will perform almost exactly the same next to the 12" powerbook. if i had it to do over again, i would have done the iBook root, as i prefer the plastic case and its white.

5. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Do you say that because of all the money you would have saved? Im curious as to your reasons. :D

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

iBooks are more dent-resistant, and perform quite well even though they are cheaper. I mean, to check your email and type in word, you don't need an iBook even. You could go with a Pismo (G3 PowerBook) and be fine. And if you don't game on it, the GPU isn't a big issue.

7. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

The problem with waiting is that even if Apple does release a new laptop they might not be in stores right away, so you may end up waiting even longer.

8. rozwell macrumors regular

kind of, and i was told strait out by at least a half dozen apple sales reps at apple retail stores, over the phone, and at an apple reseller, that they are so alike, that the little extra specs of the powerbook arent really worth it. i see that now, and i have decided, if i really need a super beefed up machine, i would have went with a desktop. sure a powerbook holds it value a bit more, but thats mainly because it cost more and just think... if some one stole your $1700 investment (thats approx. a stock 12" + tax), i would imaging it would be a little bit easier to take the loss of a $1100 iBook (thats approx. a stock 12" + tax). needless to say, i keep my 12" on a short leash and if operational, it is firmly planted to its surface, because aluminum doesnt look pretty after impact.