Anakin's Switch Commercial

Discussion in 'Community' started by Cat Atomic, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Cat Atomic macrumors newbie

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Wow, that is pretty damn good, nice job! Too bad you didn't get it done when we had the contest. I'd highly recommend spreading word about it, maybe some StarWars fan sites and such. :D

Anything else planned?

D

3. cubist macrumors 68020

4. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Very well done. Good job. Make more and show us!!!!!

:D

irmongoose

5. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Nice Flash man, you should submit that to atomshockwave.com. good job.

6. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

That was really good. I forwarded it to my friend who is a huge star wars nut. Hope you don't mind.

7. Cat Atomic thread starter macrumors newbie

Hehe- thanks guys.

mcrain: I don't mind at all. =P

Bleepbleepbleepbleepbleepbleepbleepbleep!

(edited to get the correct number of bleeps)

8. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

Well, you know, that Anakin Skywalker (a.k.a. Darth Vader) did look back to the light side once in his lifetime, just before he died. ;)

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, that is. . . :D

9. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Gee, thanks for pointed out the obvious shrek......
    Do you have more Flash to show us Cat Atomic?

10. Cat Atomic thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm... nothing very funny, I'm afraid. =P

I have a few odds and ends sitting around at http://www.pixelred.com , but they're mostly just little animation experiments. It's amazing how easy that Apple thing was to animate- the animation took about 2 hours. No props... no locations... Hehe. =)

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Wow, some of that stuff is quite good :D - I noticed that the one space animation seems to have a little Swift3D work - what did you do the 3D in or is it all with Swift? I just got the Lightwave version of S3D and haven't done much *yet*.

And I also liked the horse running animation - what did you use to get the horses gate to work correctly?

D

12. Cat Atomic thread starter macrumors newbie

Heh- yeah, that 3-D is 100% Swift3D. I still like Swift3D alot- it's great for certain jobs. I'm also looking at Discreet's Plasma right now- looks fantastic, though it's currently PC-only, I think. Suckage. But still, I can always do the 3-D modelling on the PC... if I have to.

On those horses- Muybridge's "Complete Human and Animal Locomotion" is a great reference to have around. I think you can get them in smaller volumes, as well.

=)

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Swift3D is Very cool - what sort of things are you using it for? I might be picking your brains in a month or so.....I'm just getting into flash animation in general, but I've been doing 3D for almost a decade now.

I've seen the Animal Locomotion book in a few stores, haven't gotten around to making it part of my collection, but I imagine its inevitable. What was the frame rate on the horse animation? And how many frames to cycle through once?

D

14. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Very nice. But he switched to the dark side. Is apple the dark side??????

15. Cat Atomic thread starter macrumors newbie

IRT dukestreet-

Surprisingly (at least to me), I haven't used Swift3-D much for logos at all. That's what I expected to use it on. I use it alot more for building small pieces of eye candy... like this stuff...

http://www.pixelred.com/pages/laptop.htm

http://www.pixelred.com/pages/zip.htm

Those things just acted as small visual elements in the layout of a larger site. And it's so funny- the site they were included in took 2 months to build, while those 3-D models probably took a day tops. But when the client saw it, all they remembered were the 3D models. They loved the 3D, hardly noticed anything else. =)

And then for narrative type stuff, of course. It's great for that. Spaceships, city fly-throughs, you know. But I'm sure you'd be able to do a much better job of that stuff with your more serious 3D apps than I can with Swift. But you know- nice tool to have around when the need arises.

Hmm... I *think* that horse thing is at 24 fps. I believe most of Muybridges stuff matches up pretty nicely with anything 24 fps as well, so it's one less thing to think about.

But yeah absolutely- feel free to pick my brain- as long as I can do the same to you on 3D. I have to get into some more serious 3D modelling in the next few months. Yikes!

IRT scem0-
    Yes! But the Dark Side is cooler anyway and you know it. =P

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I have no problem discussing 3D, I use it almost every day, but I'm pretty much a Lightwave user, teabgs and jelloshotsrule use Maya (which I'll be learning in the next several months, after the flash) and Vitruvius and agreenster use Cinema4D. My first and only Swift3D so far can be found at www.gone3d.com and I'll be updating shortly another site with some new stuff and post that when its done.

How did you get the texture map to work on the laptop? Was that all done in Swift3D or did you add them altogether in flash and have them as separate layers?

I checked on the Discreet software and it looks great, but there aren't any samples and it works with Max, which I don't do.

And for 3D related items, go check out www.cgtalk.com - truly amazing stuff.

D

17. Cat Atomic thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey- cool logo there on Gone3D. Very cool.

And thanks for the tip- I'll check that link out.

Oh- heh- I fudged that whole laptop thing. It does a fast rotation, blinks, and once it's sitting still, a mask is dropped over the screen area in flash and a little quicktime clip plays below.

No texture support is truly a hassle, but there you go.

18. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ha, glad you like it, it was thrown together pretty fast. I haven't had a chance to do much more since I'm still figuring out flash - but its only a matter of time.

Ok, the 'fudged' part of the laptop animation makes sense. I'll have to try that myself to see if I can get something simillar. The newest version of Swift3D allows for texture mapping, but that's only currently available in the stand alone package. I'm hoping they get the plugins updated soon.

D

19. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

LMAO! My partner happens to be a star wars nut and writes for a website, PegWarmer.com ... He thought it was hilarious... look for a link to it in the near future, if you don't mind that is :)

pnw

20. Cat Atomic thread starter macrumors newbie

21. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

A spoof like this that has a large fan base associated to the genre usually has a tendency to get pretty damn popular on the web. Let us know how the hits to your site change over the next week or so. I imagine once word gets out your site will be slammed. :D

D

22. Cat Atomic thread starter macrumors newbie

Hehe- no kiddin'. I went through 1/4 of my alotted monthly traffic in the last 2 days. =P

Waiting for word from Atomfilms on whether or not they can host it for me. Ack.

23. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Very cool - I can't imagine that they wouldn't - as a Flash animation its not that big, is it? I tried the low bandwidth and high bandwidth and didn't see any difference either.

Have you looked at iFilms.com?

Good luck,

D

24. Cat Atomic thread starter macrumors newbie

iFilms- there's an idea. I'll try them if Atomfilms doesn't work out.

The only difference between the two versions is the sound quality- I'm always annoyed by the lowered quality of the mp3 sound from Flash. The tiny file is nice, of course, but... I always like higher quality when it's possible.

25. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I listened to both and really couldn't tell a difference - or enough of one that it made a difference. What's the difference in flie size?

As for flash sound, I just don't like the sound that's set to 11 and comes across way too loud. When I get around to making flash movie, hopefully soon, I'll have to make sure I don't do that. Any settings for the sound files that I should know about? And on some of your other movies I was wondering where you got the sound effects. I need to pick up a bunch actually.

Thanks,

D