Analog to Digital Converter

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by DAVE2158, Jan 21, 2005.

1. DAVE2158 macrumors newbie

I was wondering does anyone have any information on the dazzel DV hollywood Bridge I have looked at them in the passed but did not have a DVD burner now that I do I like to get one I know there are other ones out there like formac and Director's Cut "Take 2 by Miglia and others but the price is a little much right now. So I saw the Dazzle on Ebay and the price's seem ok. Well my question is this Dazzel does not support MACS any mor eI believe that is my understanding and the DV Bridge is discontinud I believe that to be true also. So does anyonre Know if this is a good way to go or just save my pennys and want and buy one of the other devices.
    If this is a good item to buy will it work with 10.3.7 or are there drives I have o download to have it work right. Well any feedback will be great.
    PS....Have about 6hours left Ebay for one of them and about 14hours for the other Just A little pressure. Thanks again. :confused:

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

We have a few at the Uni, we use them for capturing VHS to iMovie or FCP, works fine, but obviously you can't control the VHS deck with the computer, so you're confined to capturing footage manually.

Works fine, quality is good, audio is good, it's not as well constructed as the Formac, but it does the job.

You can use a decent digicam for the job too, most of them will convert analog to digi via FireWire.

Works fine with OSX, you'll need a big drive as it captures to DV stream which weighs in at 1Gb every 4 mins of footage, plus capturing video to your system drive isn't such a good idea.

3. Norouzi macrumors 6502

I used to sell the Dazzle DV Bridges. Basicly all the software that comes with it is for windows, but that never mattered. It always worked fine for me when demoing it. It worked fine with iMovie. I can't give you any advice on how it works with 10.3.7 as it was still 10.2 when I used that bridge, but if all you need to do is bring Analog into iMovie and edit it then the Dazzle will probabily work fine for you. And I'd say if you can get it for $50 or less then go for it. I think the retail on it when it was brand new was around $150.

4. DAVE2158 thread starter macrumors newbie

Digicam

I don't understand what wintermute was saying that the Digicam or the DV bridge takes up 4gig of space and also about the Drive Iam sving the video to. Can you also explain Video caputering alittle. I just what so I can burn all my home movies of my kids on DVD. nothing fancy. :) Thanks

5. Norouzi macrumors 6502

WinterMute is saying a few things basicly.

1. On todays digital camcorders, most of them will actually work as a DV bridge. They have analog inputs, so I could say plug my VCR into my digital camcorder and transfer a VHS tape into my computer.

2. iMovie has the ability to control a Digital Camcorder. So lets say I'm capturing video from a Digital Camcorder and I want to fast foward past something I don't want. I can do that through iMovie. Where as with a DV Bridge and a VCR I would have to Press the fast foward button on the VCR rather than click a button in iMovie.

3. Capturing video does take up a good deal of space. What Mac will you be importing your video onto, and what size hard drive do you have?

4. If possible it's always better if you have 2 hard drives, one with your operating system and programs and such, and one that you can use for just capturing video. Now that being said, there are literaly thousands of people editing video and burning DVD's on iMac's and eMac's that only have one hard drive to work with and they do it just fine.

I hope this helped a little. Also if you do want to get into more complex video editing, let's say with FCE, then definatily look into a second hard drive.

6. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Thanks Norouzi, that's pretty much exactly what I was saying.

:D

7. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Anytime, board at work.