Analog to Digital Video Recoding

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by EleX, Dec 6, 2006.

1. EleX macrumors newbie

Greetings to everyone,

I have a question to all or any fellow members in this forum.

The scenario is this: I have access to an old Sony BetaCam SP UVW100. And I would like to know if it's possible to record on the beta tape and onto an external hard drive at the same time.

I've heard of FireStore. Does anyone have experience with this or any other drives?

Also, is it possible to record directly from the betacam onto a laptop computer like the old iBook G4's or the new MacBooks with FireWire?

What type of cables and/or connectors would I need?

Right now I'm the only video output from the camera is through a bnc cable connector but this has no audio output.

Does anyone have experience with this situation? Is there any way of sending both the video and audio at the same time?

I'm a newbie here so please pardon the mistakes or amateur questions I might have.

Thanks, any info would really be appreciated. :)

2. -DH macrumors 65816

>> I would like to know if it's possible to record on the beta tape and onto an external hard drive at the same time.<<

Yes it is ... maybe. But first you'll need to clarify what you'll be recording. For example, if you want to be shooting (recording) with the camcorder while capturing in FCP at the same time, that would be one way. But if you want to record from another source (ie; VTR) TO the camcorder and capture in FCP at the same time, that would be entirely different way and may not work - depending on the camcorder's capabilities.

For the first method, put a tape in the camcorder and connect the camcorder's analog video and audio output to a qualified DV device (DV camcorder, VTR or converter). Next, connect the DV device via Firewire to your Mac. Open your FCP project and hit Command 8 to open the Log & Capture window. Set Device Control to "Non-Controllable Device" then use Capture Now.

The second method may not work - it all depends on if that particular model camcorder will record via 'Line In' while outputting signal at the same time. Not all camcorders will.

>>I've heard of FireStore. Does anyone have experience with this or any other drives?<<

What is it specifically that you wanted to know about them?

>>is it possible to record directly from the betacam onto a laptop computer like the old iBook G4's or the new MacBooks with FireWire?<<

Yes. See the first method above.

>>Right now I'm the only video output from the camera is through a bnc cable connector but this has no audio output.<<

It does have audio outputs: one set (chnl 1 and chnl 2) near the right rear of the camcorder and the other through the multi-pin connector on the rear. To access the camcorder's output (both audio and video) with the multi-pin connector, you'll need to have it connected to the appropriate CCU or other device (VTR or breakout box).

>> Is there any way of sending both the video and audio at the same time?<<

See above.

-DH