analog to dv converter?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mauly, Jan 23, 2006.

1. mauly macrumors 6502

I'm looking for a analog (vhs) to dv converter -£200. Has anyone had any dealings with any that can be recommended?

I have had a look at the Canopus ADVC-110 seems good, has analog out.. looks simple to set-up/use and is mac friendly..

2. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

a friend of mine uses the Canopus ADVC-110 and has been really happy with it.

3. superwoman macrumors regular

There are some DV cameras that can act as a analog-DV bridge. Mine can - Sony PC9E. Works very well. I digitized my Tae-bo VHS this way :)

4. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

i would spend a bit more and get a DV cam with video in.

5. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

The Canopus line is truly amazing. All of their models have some degree of noise stabilization. I've run old video tapes through a camera and the image/sound quality looked just as bad as the source. The Canopus was able to clean up everything without adding any noticeable artifacts.

6. skippy64 macrumors member

7. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Me too

I've had a Formac for a couple of years. THe first one I bought wasn't OSX compliant so I had to take it back. The vendor had it sitting on the self for a while and didn't realize it wasn't compatatble with OSX. Took some doing to get them to take it back and order the new one.

But all in all I haven't had any trouble with the second one.

I also use my MiniDV and old Digital 8 camcorders too.

8. N10248 macrumors 6502a

N10248

I bought a Miglia Directors Cut Scart with my iMac and at does a great job, £199 though so its close your your spending limit.

Quality is good, and have never had anything odd happen like delayed sound or dropped frames

The good thing is that it has a scart input so your VHS will plug straight in, and capture quality from the scart input is much better than the S-video input it also has (less roughness)

Bye

9. mauly thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, there seems to be a problem! Have just looked at the tracking page and it says that the converter has been delivered! when I got home from work there was NO card in the letter box nor under my door!!!! saying its been delivered to a neighbour :mad:

Anyone else been in this situation!? I can't ring apple or lynx till tmo....

10. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Yes, the Canopus products are excellent, easily the best codec in the lower price ranges. I had the ADVC-100 but I imagine the ADVC-110 is similar.

11. ChrisA macrumors G4

Lots of good suggestions here but one this was not said. One very large advantage to using a DV camera to make to analog to digital conversion is that you can put a DV tape in a camera and make a digital archive copy tape at the same time as yu transfer the video to the cmputer over the Firewire.

I recently copied a drawer full foVHS and 8mm analog tapes to miniDV and now I have an all-digital archive

A converter may do the conversion just fine but then you don't have a digital tape.

In addition the DV camera makes a kiler webcam.

12. mnstr_trd_sd macrumors regular

mnstr_trd_sd

I love using the sony dvmc-da2 but it's not sold anymore in the US. You could find it off ebay though.

13. Lucinda macrumors newbie

Canopus 110

Have just purchased a Canopus 110 after reading this thread. I'm a new mac user...addicted to imovie, have transferred all my digital tapes and look forward to making a start on years of old analogue film. Can't wait for the Canopus to arrive!;)