Analogy Question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by amateurmacfreak, Sep 11, 2006.

Which answer would you choose?

1. a

1 vote(s)
  2. b

1 vote(s)
  3. c

11 vote(s)
  4. d

0 vote(s)
  1. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

Sep 8, 2005
    So, over dinner, we were having a discussion on the correct answer to this question.

delicacy: eat as.....

a) food: refrigerate:
    b) beverage: drink
    c) jewelry: wear
    d) nose: smell

I said jewelry is to wear because jewelry is sort of a special thing to wear and a delicacy is a sort of special thing to eat.

A teacher of a friend of mine argued beverage: drink because drink and eat are more similar. I think that is totally irrelevant: it's only about how the words in each pair relate to each other, not about how the two pairs relate to each other. A beverage could be any kind of drink: a delicacy can't be just any type of food. The teacher was TOTALLY unyielding in her opinion.

So, I go to lovely MR, what do you guys think?
  2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    I would agree with you for the exact reason you said...delicacies are a special category of highly-regarded, expensive foods, and jewelry is similarly a category of (usually) expensive wearable items.
  3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

Jul 17, 2005
    5045 feet above sea level

well i think d is the one that make no sense. I mean

you eat a delicacy
    you refrigerate food
    you drink a beveredge
    you wear jewlery
    you smell a nose????

all the other ones involve a verb to act on the other word.
    d in my opinion is out of place

haha whoops i didnt read the question

i would say you are right with c. delicacy and jewlery are signs of class whears the others arent necessarily
  4. Lau Guest

Firstly, let me say I hated these questions.

I say you were right though. The word wasn't food, it was a delicacy, which is a different thing, it's not a fuel like "food" is, it's a special thing.
  5. thedude110 macrumors 68020

Jun 13, 2005
    "C" is the, *ahem* best possible answer. Not the greatest analogy on earth, though ...

Perhaps that teacher has no idea what delicacy means. :confused:
  6. amateurmacfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sep 8, 2005
    It's a Christian school.

That teaches religion in science class. On a regular basis.

I'm sure the people there have VERY high IQs. :rolleyes: </beinghatefultothepeopleattheschool>

(oh, I DON'T go there by the way)
  7. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Feb 27, 2005
    Yes, what thay said.

But uhh, yeah, we totally JUST talked about this. :D
  8. amateurmacfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sep 8, 2005
    Haha, I know. I love it how we talk about it on the phone and within the next hour or so I post it on MR. It's.... amazing.

9. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    C: If you have to ask why, you can't afford it.
    Another option could be: f) shallow: wade
  10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    You are correct, amateurmacfreak. The key is the "special" concept, not whether it is food.

Since you know better than the teacher, perhaps you don't need to go to school anymore! Or that teacher needs to go back to school.
  11. Demoman macrumors regular

Mar 29, 2005
    Issaquah, WA
    B is the best answer.

a) food is only optionally refrigerated and is not consumed in that relationship
    b) beverages are made to consume and they are drunk
    c) jewelry is worn but not consumed
    d) nose smells but it is on the opposite side of the comparison (and other reasons)
  12. Erin macrumors newbie

Jul 4, 2006
    I, like many others (but not influencing my choice), think c is the best answer. From just what amateurmacfreak said, that a delicacy is a special or prized food and jewelry is like special or prized thing to wear.
  13. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    i answered C before reading any further than the question. looks like everyone else had the same reasoning i did. great minds hang out in the same forums, it seems.