Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Well he did write a blog post with this in mind. I would personally find it more interesting if it addressed things that made some amount of design sense rather than the usual type of speculation that has come up due to the mac pro languishing so long.

Yup.

I agree. It brings an uplifted spirit for waiting Mac Pro users.

As I thought the other 17 threads did as well. :rolleyes: It's now to the point of being more embarrassing than uplifting me thinks. :eek:

Personally however, I have no need to be uplifted by outsider guesses and erred speculation. The appearance of a new MacPro or some real insider information would be welcome tho! :)

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
It is a tower. The primary duty for the Mac Pro would be as a workstation. Being non-hostile to rack usage is an incremental expansion of uses but it won't be a primary use case.

If primarily oriented to rack usage it would go the same way as the XServe. Apple has already walked away from that. Not likely they are going to go back with a revised Mac Pro.

True, some pro users want a product to go in equipment racks and others want it to go under their desk. Why would you potentially lose half of your customers either way over a minor issue? If the case gets redesigned I would be really surprised if the new one could not solve both cases (maybe have removable handles or something).

TheEasterBunny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Delaware
Lets face facts.

Apple has been going toward disposable devices since the first iPhone. Devices that are upgradeable, do not lend to this direction very well, but iDevices do.

Considering the direction they have gone with external devices and their interfaces, and with OS X, user upgrades are the last thing Apple wants.

A device that hangs around for 6+ years is definitely not in the plan! It doesn't make for a good business model.

Ever notice that in order to upgrade browsers beyond a few levels (like 1 or 2) you have to upgrade OSX?

Look at Microsoft, people are still using XP, it can run most current browsers, the devices have a wide range of OS's that can be run, and can be used for years.
But how does the companies bottom line look today as compared to 10 years ago?
What did MS do with windows 8?
What direction are they going now that they see the writing on the wall?

Not to even mention Nvidia's cloud graphics service they are working on!

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Kepler has dedicated hardware h.264 circuitry. That should be a good fit for AirPlay mirroring?

Not necessarily. Folks complain about other aspects of Intel GPU oriented hardware but their Quick Sync has had Nvidia and AMD beat on some aspects.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sandy-bridge-core-i7-2600k-core-i5-2500k,2833-4.html

The graphics cards tend to be oriented to pushing h.264 out the ports; not necessarily back into the computer's RAM so it can be pushed back out onto an TCP/IP connection.

It can be done... it is just work that can lead to varying throughput rates given the varying hardware. Just like Apple could have used discrete USB 3.0 controllers but didn't move to USB 3.0 until had a uniform target to build drivers against with Intel's core chipset implementation.

Relznuk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2009
UT, USA
Relznuk, you crushed it, and I'm a bit annoyed at the peevish jealousy of a few posters here, who instead of acknowledging your fine work...had to embarrass themselves chirping.

I'm not saying I agree with everything, but your article, it's presentation...and the entire website deserves applause.

Great job!

Thank you very much! Always great to hear things like that - makes me feel like all my efforts are worthwhile.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
The analysis is spot on.

One could argue that there could have been incremental additions to the MacPro (USB 3, thunderbolt, etc.) over the past few years, but Pro uses tend to hold onto their equipment and upgrade along the way.

Mid 2013 seems to be a time when the technologies come together at the same time to make the next MacPro a worthy upgrade. Whether the form factor changes is anybody's guess. Width is just wider than a tray-load optical drive. Height allows vertical cards. Sure, you could go the smaller SSD drive bay route. But if you want the expansion, you're stuck with a tower.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Nope. The necessary Ivy Bridge-based Xeon E5 chips are not out yet, and not due until mid-year.

There have been two extremely flawed "anaylses" floating around as to why Apple "needed" to wait for Ivy Bridge Xeon E5.

One was"thermal is much better so can be smaller". As I pointed out that is confirmed deeply flawed by all early evidence that is floating out on the specs. Ivy Bridge just runs faster over a generally broader dynamic range for single CPU package models and has a couple more cores in the top end dual package set-up. Everything there is exactly the same gap that Sandy Bridge has over the current models. There was and still is zero reason to wait on purpose for that.

Second set of arm waving was about how Ivy Bridge was necessary for USB 3.0 support. There is zero USB 3.0 support in the CPUs. It was the mainstream chipsets that were coupled to the Ivy Bridge mainstream Core i offerings that have USB 3.0. For the Xeon E5 class of offerings Intel's historical process has to been to use the same support IO chipset for both of the tick/tock offering. That way avoid the long, protracted certification process with customers on that portion of the system. So Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge offerings will share the same chipset and likely the same motherboard. Just like Nehalem/Westmere did. It is normal and almost all other system vendors do the same thing.

The notion that Apple can solely relying on just Intel's USB 3.0 implementation is deeply flawed if Apple intends to bring USB 3.0 to Thunderbolt Docking stations (displays). Apple is going to have to support at least one discrete USB 3.0 controller because they need one in the detached peripheral. That same discrete controller could be used in the Mac Pro. There are some good reasons for skipping the initial generations of USB 3.0 controllers ( the NEC/Renasas ones don't do USB attached SCSI (UAS) and UAS protocol (UASP ) all that well. ).

Apple doesn't "have to" wait for a Xeon E5 chipset to support USB 3.0 is clearly evidence by the presence of USB 3.0 on all of HP/Dell/etc. workstations offerings in 2012.

The only sane reason to wait for Ivy Bridge is because the rest of the system isn't ready ( board and/or case design not done, etc. )

Wrong again. It's a faster, more capable interface designed as an improvement upon the existing SATA interface.

I didn't say it wasn't a bit faster but it also isn't SATA "fourth generation". SATA 6Gbps ( 3rd generation) just came out in 2009. SATA and SAS are somewhat merging. When SAS moves to 12Gb/s (SAS 3.0 expected in 2013 ) then SATA 12Gb/s will like appear shortly after.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/LSI-SAS-SATA-12-gbs-pcie,14049.html
http://www.lsi.com/about/newsroom/Pages/20130322pr.aspx

The adoption is being slowed by two factors. One, pragmatically want PCI-e v3.0 slots to plug these 12Gb/s raid controllers into so don't have to use a relatively large number of PCI-e lanes. Second, putting SATA 6Gb/s controller(s) on a PCI-e card is pretty effective even without a new standard. (e.g. http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempossd.html or http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/PCIe/OWC/Mercury_Accelsior/RAID )
There is little to now competitive speed advantage SATA Express has over these solutions when they are using a sufficiently fast SATA-to-PCI-e controller and x4 (or better) PCI-e v2.0 lanes. As SATA Express is limited to just x2 there is no bandwidth advantage. There may be some cost advantaged to collapsing PCI-e/SATA/low level device interface into one controller but that is going to take a while to realize.

Besides as with the general SAS moves then SATA relationship there is one with the connectors also.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6294/breaking-the-sata-barrier-sata-express-and-sff8639-connectors

It may be nice for a Haswell Xeon E5 to merge in with either SATA Express or SFF8639 but for now since the Mac Pro is at least a year overdue for a real upgrade it is extremely dubious to hold it back now for such a card. They aren't very prevalent at all in current deployments.

You're right - I had some improper information. The chips i was referring to are Redwood Ridge, but are not "Thunderbolt 2.0." I've updated that section to clarify.

While Apple's new motherboard is probably largely fixed until Haswell Xeon rolls around ( 2015? ) it isn't going to make much of a difference if a large enough portion of the Mac Pro user base is gone. Due to product neglect. The current Catus Ridge Controllers would work fine. The Mac Pro hardly needs the extremely low voltage idle power draw the Redwood Ridge bring. The 1.2 Redriver support is nice but very dubious if going to have 1-2 x16 PCI-e slots for video cards. Those cards can easily provision a Mac Pro with DisplayPort 1.2 support for those that need it soon.

Trying to make the Thunderbolt video output of a Mac Pro competitive with what discrete PCI-e cards can do over the next two years is extremely dubious. It likely will never be as flexible or advance or as high performance. Mac Pro primarily covers top end video with the PCI-e slots; not Thunderbolt. Trying to do otherwise is purely a bozo move.

Waiting for large Retina displays could help drive Apple's sales for such a product.

Retina 15" MBP blew away the 17" MBP. Retina for the discrete displays is far more likely a net decrease in display size. Not enable the larger diagonal ones.

For now those smaller and much denser displays are too expensive to be viable. The new TB display/docking-station will likely look just like the current 27" iMac. There no good indicators that the iMacs are going retina this year either. So there are no drivers for this to trickle down to a Mac Pro.

It's all about context. Tim Cook's comment was in response to a question about the Mac Pro. As such, the "pro product" mentioned is almost certainly something along those lines.

Not "along those lines", but about the Mac Pro. Remember the company's standing policy is not to talk about future products. His hints have to tip-toe around speaking directly about the Mac Pro. The vagueness is primarily present to try to be in compilance with the poilcy; period.

There is little to no motivation for the bogeyman spector that folks trot out about how is "has to mean" that the product is being dumped. If Cook is asked about a Mac Pro and responds "next year doing something" then likely talking about a Mac Pro..... not some huge shift in strategy. Frankly, the huge shift in strategy is extremely likely that they are building a Mac Pro at all!

The Occam's Razor analysis about the delay for the Mac Pro is simply because they stopped working on it. If there was no R&D then there would be no new Mac Pro. There is no technological boogeyman holding back the release; Apple just stopped.

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
I'm starting to realise that Ivy bridge is unlikely to be the problem here. Intel seems to be making great strides in power management and integrated GPUs, but those matter to ultrabooks, and not workstations.

Look at benchmarks, and as far as I can see, Ivy bridge is only about 10% better for a similar frequency and core count. That means that any 12 core Sandy bridge system will blow away a 4 core Ivy bridge, or even Haswell system.

After about six months when Ivy bridge is available, Apple can easily upgrade the computers with a new processor and no real extra engineering. That seems like a bonus for Apple, not a problem.

David

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Gr8 piece of writing!

One can argue about the details, but one must admit in general it's true:

Apple is either waiting for a true "breakthrough" Mac Pro, thus waiting for all the necessary technology to be available (and seemingly mid-late 2013 seems the correct time), or Apple is abandoning the "upgradeable" architecture.

My Mac Pro, BTW, is a case in point:
Tim Cook isn't happy my 5 year old Mac still has potential... 16 GB RAM, Radeon 7950 / GTX 680, 512 GB SSD... ;)

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
....Why would you potentially lose half of your customers either way over a minor issue? If the case gets redesigned I would be really surprised if the new one could not solve both cases (maybe have removable handles or something).

The redesigned Mac Pro could still be primarily designed to be an upright, floor standing case but just be not rack hostile.

For instance leaving the "handles"/"feet" in place, but just shrink height about 2" while extending the depth about 1.5-2.0" you can keep essentially the same volume.

HP z820 height , depth, width are 17.5" , 20.7" , 8.0"
Current Mac Pro H , D & W are 20.1" , 18.7" , 8.1"

Width approximately the same. The H and D are roughly swapped. That is primary difference in the z820 being relatively easily rackable and the Mac Pro being gratuitously rack hostile.

Removable handles would likely involve fasteners which I suspect would disturb the sensibilities of Apple's designers even though quite practical (e.g., manages to hold the bottom on the laptops just fine. ). But yes, that an another easy way to loose about 2" from the height without changing the functionality in the default configuration.

The folks who want to rack up Mac Pros isn't likely half of the market. However, it is a marginal growth that can't really afford to pass up since the Mac Pro growth isn't as good as many other Mac products.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009

Apple is either waiting for a true "breakthrough" Mac Pro, thus waiting for all the necessary technology to be available (and seemingly mid-late 2013 seems the correct time), or Apple is abandoning the "upgradeable" architecture.

Or Apple thought about abandoning the product model class and then changed their minds.

It is doubtful there are waiting on something "magical". The Mac Mini went into a lull for an extended period also. It really wasn't "magical"/"breakthrough" technology that put it back on track again. Just a progression of the same tech that was going into the MBP 13" that became more suitable for the Mini.

All the evolutionary improvements for the components are available already. The competitive losses that Apple has suffered from last June till today are not going to be significantly made up by these "feature 47" technologies that are just nominally better than already deployed alternatives.

Tim Cook isn't happy my 5 year old Mac still has potential... 16 GB RAM, Radeon 7950 / GTX 680, 512 GB SSD... ;)

It isn't so much the architecture but users with relatively stagnant workloads resulting in low upgrade demand. It is far more what people are buying (or not buying) that is likely driving the timing here. The fact that you don't want to buy a new box is a key motivator has to why Apple doesn't want to go through the investment of making a new one.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
It isn't so much the architecture but users with relatively stagnant workloads resulting in low upgrade demand. It is far more what people are buying (or not buying) that is likely driving the timing here. The fact that you don't want to buy a new box is a key motivator has to why Apple doesn't want to go through the investment of making a new one.

Chicken and egg...

The problem IMHO, is that a new box isn't worth the investment. The performance gains of a new Mac Pro don't justify the price, and an upgrade to the current hardware does. Maybe not for everyone, but it does for many users... too much for Apples' good.
Upgrading a 5 year old machine is something that is done with Mac Pro's. This didn't happen before.

The fact you can't do that with an iMac is what I mean. Feel your iMac is sluggish? Get a new iMac. Feel your Mac Pro is getting sluggish? First see what parts you can upgrade. And there a so many parts you can upgrade which give you better performance. Especially now with supported good grfx cards.

If Apple were to introduce a new Mac Pro with the "magical"/"breakthrough" technology then we would have a point in time when upgrading a current Mac Pro seems a bad investment as the "wonderful new Mac Pro" is so much more.
But, this new Mac Pro will probably be upgradeable for the next 5 years. etc.

Does that fit into Apple's plan?

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
You're right - I had some improper information. The chips i was referring to are Redwood Ridge, but are not "Thunderbolt 2.0." I've updated that section to clarify.

I didn't look at the clarification earlier but it is still quite muddled. You seem to be invoking circular logic to support Ivy Bridge and Thunderbolt. "Ivy Bridge is necessary for Thunderbolt" and then the implicitly somehow the opposite for Thunderbolt driving Ivy Bridge. They aren't coupled at all.

Apple shipped Sandy Bridge power Macs with Thunderbolt back in 2011. Ivy Bridge is not necessary for Thunderbolt. There is no Thunderbolt support at all associated with Ivy Bridge Xeon E5s. Even if talking about supplying inputs to the TB controller. There is no iGPU. There a PCI-e lanes but they are v3.0 which is a bit wasted on Thunderbolts v2.0. One could hook TB to the CPU's PCI-e lanes, but it isn't necessary. The far more critical aspects is the missing DisplayPort sources no the motherboard.

Unless Intel has some super stealth derivative socket Ivy Bridge E5 lined up there is nothing about the upcoming Ivy Bridge updates that supports Thunderbolt service delivery.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Is that your blog? At any point, my reasons:

1. PCIe 3.0 (complete support)

Already present in currently released Xeon E5 back in March 2012. ( only the desktop variants didn't get it until Ivy Bridge).

2. SATA 3 (support for 2 plugs)

Already present in the currently released C602 (and other members of the C600 family). Released Marched 2012. There are 2 6Gb/s channels on the nominal SATA controller ( and I think 4 more on the SAS/SATA subsystem that is only SATA for the C602 ).

3. USB 3.0 (4 plugs)

NEC/Renasas or Fresco Logic 4 port controllers have been out over a year. Same stuff that is on the USB 3.0 PCI-e cards that various vendors have shipped that work in the current Mac Pros. All need to do is solder the functionality onto the Motherboard and done. Again was eminently doable since HP/Dell/Lenovo/etc workstations that appeared in 2012 all had USB 3.0.

4. Redesign

Not all that hard to do if actually working on it. ( if can afford 100 folks to whip up a watch this is more priorities than a resource blockage. )

5. Newer Haswell based chips, although Xeon counterparts are not here yet.

Haswell Xeon E5 probably won't appear until almost 2015. One reason to release a Sandy Bridge E5 now and a Ivy Bridge upgrade in early 2014 is that Haswell E5 is so far out into the future.

Could Apple gut the Mac pro and go to 4 core capped (and 16-20 PCI-e lane capped ) Haswell 2013 designs? It is possible. Just doesn't make alot of sense because could have largely pulled the same huge left turn with Ivy Bridge versions a year ago. Same core cap. Same high speed I/O cap.

If anything Haswell Minis and iMacs will further eat into the user base that thinks that 2006-2008 Mac Pros are plenty fast enough to get their work done.

Waiting an extra year to slide backwards makes about zero strategic sense.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Gr8 piece of writing!

Or Apple thought about abandoning the product model class and then changed their minds.

Or... any one of a thousand other possibilities which no one here has guessed. It's just sheer speculation and the real truth of the matter is that no one here has a clue. How could we unless we were spending our days hanging out with Mr. Cook and and Mr. Jobs (or whoever) when those decisions were being made?

The analysis is spot on.

:rolleyes:

Lets face facts.

Apple has been going toward disposable devices since the first iPhone. Devices that are upgradeable, do not lend to this direction very well, but iDevices do.

Considering the direction they have gone with external devices and their interfaces, and with OS X, user upgrades are the last thing Apple wants.

A device that hangs around for 6+ years is definitely not in the plan! It doesn't make for a good business model.

Ever notice that in order to upgrade browsers beyond a few levels (like 1 or 2) you have to upgrade OSX?

Look at Microsoft, people are still using XP, it can run most current browsers, the devices have a wide range of OS's that can be run, and can be used for years.
But how does the companies bottom line look today as compared to 10 years ago?
What did MS do with windows 8?
What direction are they going now that they see the writing on the wall?

Not to even mention Nvidia's cloud graphics service they are working on!

Engineered failure rates and planned obsolesce have been a known and calculated factor in consumer manufacturing for over 100 years. I don't believe any company in the past 60 or 70 years has made an error regarding this. In fact if anything it's planned more meticulously than most of us can imagine. For example MS may have planned and planned correctly IMO, consecutive decreases in product life spans.

Start them out with a 10 year product cycle (PC XT), and 4 years into that reduce it to 8 (PC AT), two years into that reduce it to 6, two years into that reduce it to 4 and two years into that... Well, that's where we currently are so let's see. :) And the plan might include bringing it all the way down to a service model similar to how cell-phones are currently marketed. :p

When considering Apple (and others too of course) we should take note of the fact that there at least seems to be 4 separate product lines. Handhelds, portables, home users, pro users. Keeping in mind that consumer basses are just as engineer able as the products sold to them it would make sense to appease all user classes in order to saturate the most profitable class (probably handhelds), we can perhaps imagine a very different scenario than Company X seeing the writing on the wall.

I still maintain however that this is all utter rubbish and complete speculation. There is no way for an individual know or even accurately guess with any confidence what's going on and why. There are simply too many factors and cofactors to consider. All we can know is what's in front of us. For example we know there is a MacPro5,1 what its specs are relative to other offerings and versions, and that's it. We do NOT know if there will be a 6,1 MacPro, what it might look or spec like, nor what direction Apple is planning to move in - nor really even if they have a plan at all. We also can NOT know why the 5,1 is as it is in relation to previous versions and other offerings - although at least that could have some intelligent conjecture making for interesting discussion. When discussing vapor ware like the MacPro 6,1 no such intelligence is possible unless it's insider info. And thus here we sit whacking our pancakes and mining our navels talking gibberish to one another and wasting our time when we could probably be contributing something productive and useful. No matter how I look at this thread and the other umpteen ones with the exact same topics and musings I can only conclude that it's a colossal waste of time and probably all of it (99.99%) is completely wrong and very uninformed. :p

Last edited:

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
We do NOT know if there will be a 6,1 MacPro, what it might look or spec like, nor what direction Apple is planning to move in - nor really even if they have a plan at all.

The only empty wild speculation is yours. Apple has explicitly stated that planned to so something. You can wave your hands about the something, but to state they have no plan at all is bogus.

No matter how I look at this thread and the other umpteen ones with the exact same topics and musings I can only conclude that it's a colossal waste of time and probably all of it (99.99%) is completely wrong and very uninformed. :p

Deductions that there are no plans at all are exactly why the signal to noise ratio is low. The threads are filled with low signal because folks keep coming back and stating stuff that isn't backed up by facts, but on campaigns that if said enough times maybe folks will start to believe it.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
The only empty wild speculation is yours. Apple has explicitly stated that planned to so something. You can wave your hands about the something, but to state they have no plan at all is bogus.

No need to get snippy, but OK, show me the beef. Show me where Apple officially has said there were any plans at all concerning the MacPro. Truth is you can't cuz there aren't any statements of this nature anywhere online. Am I wrong? No, right?

Deductions that there are no plans at all are exactly why the signal to noise ratio is low. The threads are filled with low signal because folks keep coming back and stating stuff that isn't backed up by facts, but on campaigns that if said enough times maybe folks will start to believe it.

No one is saying there aren't any plans. Everyone who can read, is paying attention, and has a brain is saying there aren't any stated plans. And from there deducing that speculation of the nature found in this thread and the other 17 like it is futile, fruitless, and a waste of time. Even those who find this sort of thing entertaining if honest with themselves, will admit to that. :)

Heck, even if you could point directly to a published and verified statement from Mr. Cook saying that "there is a New MacPro under development" these kinds of speculation threads would still be a waste of time - although admittedly a little more fun. :)

Last edited:

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Huh? Apple made a very clear statement after the new debacle during WWDC. I can't believe this is still your argument. Did you not have the Internet at that time last year?

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
The point he's making is they didn't say there would be a new Mac Pro just something for pros..

Exactly! Nothing at all has been said about a new MacPro in any way shape or form. Nada, zip, zilch. To extrapolate the casual remark (singular AFAIK!) which was made in order to conclude a new MacPro is on it's way is only wishful thinking at best.

That would be akin to your mom telling you she has a surprise for you. And then you assuming it's a million dollars in cash and your favorite Maserati - just because that's what you want. What's gonna happen when you find out it's actually a sliver of day-old cake?

I do like cake tho so there will for sure be an upside here. :D

Also this isn't my argument. These are just the facts we're actually presented with AFAIK.

Last edited:

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
The redesigned Mac Pro could still be primarily designed to be an upright, floor standing case but just be not rack hostile.

For instance leaving the "handles"/"feet" in place, but just shrink height about 2" while extending the depth about 1.5-2.0" you can keep essentially the same volume.

Exactly, I was thinking along the same lines. Assuming they do not do a radical redesign to the form factor they can easily make it be a tower then allow people to rotate it 90' for a rack. Whether the handles are removable or not is a design debate in the implementation of that goal but the concept is simple enough.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Thats all that was said.. First, Cook apologized for not acknowledging the Mac Pro, and 2nd, he said but "we have something wonderful for pro users" - This does NOT mean a New Mac Pro.. I am sorry, but this has been gone over time and time again..

That "Wonderful Something" could be a multitude of things:

1. New Mac Pro
2. Some high-tech Pro software where there would be no need for a huge, desktop machine.
3. ? You decide.

echoout

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Austin, Texas
Thats all that was said.. First, Cook apologized for not acknowledging the Mac Pro, and 2nd, he said but "we have something wonderful for pro users" - This does NOT mean a New Mac Pro.. I am sorry, but this has been gone over time and time again..

1. New Mac Pro
2. Some high-tech Pro software where there would be no need for a huge, desktop machine.
3. ? You decide.

Exactly. Unfortunately the big "deuce" is what I've been expecting the whole time. Some "kind of cool" new software that runs great on an iMac. After a professional lifetime of Mac use, I have quotes out with 6 big companies on extremely high-end Windows workstations. My projects are manageable right now but when do I pull the trigger? I'm holding out but not holding my breath.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan

1. New Mac Pro
3. ? You decide.

3) could also have been the reduced prices that we have just seen on the current 12-core entry model. ;)

4) could be the newly released 7950 and GTX680 or the K5000 that we recently saw

5) could be the 10.8.4 they're working on

6) could be a thunderbolt card we haven't seen yet...

7) could be USB 3.0 card we haven't seen yet,

8) could be a new RAID card capable of SATA III to be announced shortly,

9) could be the current 5,1 with currently unavailable or faster processor,

And it just keeps going:

There's no limit but what your imagination is capable of. ;)

It could of course also be an all-new MacPro model but if it were that my hunch is that we would have heard more by now. <shrug>

Last edited:

kendall69

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2011
Let's face it, WHATEVER Apple does with the Desktop it MUST be spot on. We have all been waiting long enough for the "dream machine". Apple heard us all loud and clear when the tried to convince us the last Desktop was "NEW" when it wasn't. They pulled back that lie in one day.

They know we've been waiting and we're not a happy bunch.

One would think there are enough smart people at Apple to give us a pro machine with 100% pro parts that work like a Swiss watch. I mean really, they've been at it for 40 years one would think they can accomplish this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.