Analyst Claims 60-Inch 'iTV' Could Launch in Late 2013 With 'iRing' Motion Control and iPad-Like Auxiliary Screens

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 3, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Topeka Capital Markets analyst Brian White is out with a new research note today outlining a remarkable set of features for Apple's rumored television set product, claiming that the TV could launch later this year. White believes that the television will be available as a 60-inch model, with 50-55 inch models also potentially being available.

In a new addition to the Apple television rumor roundup, White's report claims that Apple will revolutionize the television market with an "iRing" device to facilitate motion control of the device.
    White also believes that Apple's "iWatch" will play into Apple's television ecosystem, complementing the iRing to support interactive TV services and phone calls.

[​IMG]
    Beyond the basic television set, White claims that Apple will be releasing auxiliary screens similar to iPads, with the devices allowing users to watch their television content on wireless devices within range of the larger television.
    White claims that the basic iTV package would include one such mini iTV, with customers able to add on additional screens up to a maximum of four. He notes that while some aspects of the mini iTV would be similar to the full-size iPad and thus benefit from manufacturing efficiencies, they would have much more limited functionality and features.

White believes that the entire iTV package would be priced at $1500-$2500 depending on how many auxiliary mini iTVs are ordered, with some service providers perhaps subsidizing the cost to draw in customers.

Several of White's new claims appear to a fleshing out of his previous reports that have cited motion control and "iPad-like" touchscreen remotes. Still, while Apple has been said to be trying to revolutionize the television industry, White's reported feature set seems difficult to believe and has so far been uncorroborated.

After a lull in Apple television rumors while many observers turned their attention toward the company's iWatch efforts, reports on the iTV are beginning to ramp up again with White's report coming on the heels of rumors of a 4K "Ultra HD" set perhaps launching late this year or early next year.

Article Link: Analyst Claims 60-Inch 'iTV' Could Launch in Late 2013 With 'iRing' Motion Control and iPad-Like Auxiliary Screens

2. macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

3. macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Those analysts always have the weirdest speculations!

4. macrumors member

Be interesting to find out if actual iPads could be used.

5. macrumors 65816

hands up (with iRings on) who doesn't believe this one!

6. macrumors 6502a

phillipduran

iRing motion control. That sounds interesting. . . and easy to lose.

7. macrumors 6502

Man, I really want what some of these analysts are smoking when they came up with the reports.

8. macrumors member

I wonder how he figures that some service providers will subsidize a TV. Apple usually provides great service themselves and creates strong incentives not to subsidize their products. That's why the prices of Apple computers are so similar in different stores.

9. Guest

Sky Blue

10. macrumors newbie

interesting that it will come with the TV

You can do similar things with a samsung TV and a galaxy tablet. I know samsung had some success when they ran a promotion where you got a free Galaxy tablet with certain tvs.

11. macrumors 65816

TheAppleFairy

12. macrumors 6502a

I thought Apple couldn't call it "iTV", maybe just in the UK? ITV is one of Britain's main terrestrial television channels and has been for decades. I seem to remember some legal thing happened about this but not sure...

13. macrumors 68020

applesith

Oh good, let's hope WSJ says buy on this empty speculation then sell like crazy on disappointment and surprise at EoY.

14. macrumors 6502a

Ohhh man. I have about $3800 in credit at Apple and was waiting to see what they might have in store with Mac Pro this year...these TV rumors give me pause though.

15. macrumors 6502a

turtlez

In four hours from now... "Samsung introducing S-Ring enhanced motion control for their upcoming 60" sTV" :p

16. macrumors 65816

Santabean2000

I'm an analyst... Apple will make XYZ and anything else I can dream up. If I make 100 'predictions' something might get close.

This is not even a rumor.

17. macrumors 6502a

turtlez

why would you consider putting a TV in front of a work machine? lol

18. macrumors regular

gregwyattjr

19. macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

20. macrumors 6502a

turtlez

it is merely motivation for Samsung to beat Apple to the punch :)

21. macrumors G3

mattopotamus

damn, what did you buy and return?

22. macrumors 68000

How do I become an analyst?

Seems like such an easy job, to just tell people what you think might happen at some point in the future!

23. macrumors 603

troop231

Every iTV purchase includes an iRing, which grants you a tour at the iMothership once it's completed.

24. macrumors 6502a

turtlez

well the official name has not been released, rumor sites and analysts just call it that because that is the trend name at the moment.

25. macrumors 6502a