Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a report on the increasing hype surrounding tablet computers focused on Apple's much-anticipated tablet offerings, BusinessWeek cites market researcher Richard Doherty, who claims that Apple has developed two protoype tablet computers: one essentially an oversized iPod touch carrying a 6-inch screen and a second one with a larger screen.
"There's no hotter topic [than tablets] in Asia right now," says Richard Doherty, a director at market researcher Envisioneering Group, who says Apple has developed prototypes of two different tablet machines -- one that resembles a large-sized iPod and boasts a 6-inch screen, and another that features a larger display. Apple may launch one or both devices as early as September, Doherty says. A decision on whether and when Apple takes the tablet plunge lies with Apple CEO Steve Jobs, Doherty says.
Doherty's claim that the tablets may launch as early as September comes in opposition to several other reports pointing to an early 2010 launch. Apple has reportedly scheduled a media event for September 9th, where sources have specifically claimed that there will be no mention of a tablet, although that obviously does not preclude a separate tablet introduction at another time.

Doherty also claims that Apple's tablet offerings may begin priced as low as $679 and that the larger tablet may essentially run full Mac OS X while the smaller tablet is more iPod-like and focuses on media and gaming.
One of Apple's prototype devices is able to run all Mac applications, and allows for video and audio editing and graphic animation, Doherty says. Another, which looks like a larger iPod, lends itself to watching videos, playing games, and reading e-books.
Apple has been rumored to have investigated screens for its tablet prototypes ranging from 4 inches to 12 inches, although most rumors have pointed to a screen of approximately 10 inches for Apple's planned launch product.

Article Link: Analyst Claims Two Apple Tablets Coming, One With 6-Inch Screen

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
MORE MORE MOOOORRRE!

...anyway, if Apple made a 12" screen with iPhone resolution density and it worked like a touch screen iPhone with full OSX... utter win. However, if they ordered 10" screens from Asia in bulk, I would think it is obvious the tablet is going to be 10".

macofalltrades

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2009
My guess is the little one's gonna be the top end of the iPod line (introduced 9.9.09?) and the big one with the full OS X is coming early next year...

MacMonster1985

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2009
"Analyst"

Really? These yahoos are giving true Analysts a bad name.

Well it says he/she is a market researcher. (I am one of them too). And we do a lot of work on upcoming devices, netbooks, smartphones etc so I wouldn't dismiss this so lightly.

freddiecable

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2003
Sweden
I just can't see the usability in this. 6" will not fit in your pocket - so it will not be a phone in it. this will just be a devise inbetween smartphone and laptop.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I too am tired of this tablet talk. Unless they have something really amazing up their sleeve, which obviously is a big possibility, a larger version of the iPhone will be a disappointment.

Hopefully they are making a 10" (+/- 1-2 inches) netbook with a touchscreen (meaning it still has a keyboard and thus is not USELESS for real work) for under a grand. *crosses fingers*

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Mmmmmm tablet..... :)
</Homer>

I want a Tablet computer. I already own an iPhone. I don't want a bigger iPhone. That's why I own it as is. I want a Touch Tablet with Mac OS X. I also want Steve to do the release, because I know it will get horrible reviews if he doesn't. I also want US $1mil., and a 1969 Dodge Charger. Kthxbye.

Macinposh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
Kreplakistan
A bit difficult though to see that apple would launch 2 versions of a totally new concept.
The risks would be enormous with 2 differenting techs (battery,cpu,UI input etc) AND 2 different manufacturing lines/supply chains.

Too risky move in these times,I would say.
But maybe they have their masterplan put up accordingly...

TorontoPolar

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2009
Toronto
Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers!

They are not releasing it yet, but if they are going to have apps ready for launch in January then it must be announced to developers ahead of time, so that they can start working on apps!

Also... the FCC! For the same reason the iPhone was pre-announced, we will see a pre-announcement of this tablet in September, and it will probably ship in time for the January show.

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
I thought this might happen:

One smaller tablet that runs the iPhone OS

&

A larger tablet that runs Snow Leopard.

we will see if this actually is true...

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
So now we are back to the "large iPhone" concept that was circulating a while ago.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy it. I think only one is coming, and it will be next year (the 10").

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
I call BS on this.
WTF would someone use a 6'' tablet for that they don't use their iPod touch for?

macofalltrades

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2009
Maybe the 6-inch is just a newer, bigger iPod Touch...It does seem like these two devices fill in the gaps of their product line pretty nicely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.