Analyst Flip-Flops Again: Thinner iPad Mini in Late 2013, Retina Display in Early 2014

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 19, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

DisplaySearch analyst Richard Shim is going back on statements he made back in May, when he said the next model of the iPad mini -- expected this fall -- would come equipped with a Retina display and an updated processor. In an added twist, before he made that statement, Shim said the Retina iPad mini would not ship before 2014.

[​IMG]
    Now, Shim writes that Apple will refresh its iPad mini line later this year, but the Retina display will not make an appearance before 2014.
    It's unclear which DisplaySearch report is correct, though it's widely expected that Apple will ship a Retina-display equipped iPad mini at some point.

More notably, Shim does expect the iPad mini update this fall to bring a thinner case, regardless of whether it has a Retina display or not. Apple CEO Tim Cook did warn analysts and other Apple watchers to take rumors from the Apple supply chain with a grain of salt.

Apple is expected to introduce new versions of the iPhone, iPad mini and iPad this fall.

Article Link: Analyst Flip-Flops Again: Thinner iPad Mini in Late 2013, Retina Display in Early 2014

2. macrumors 65816

voyagerd

Cover all your bases!

I was hoping it would go Retina sooner rather than later.

3. macrumors 6502a

AppleWarMachine

Hurry up...I've been waiting for a Retina iPad Mini since the release of the Mini :D

4. macrumors regular

I am shocked—SHOCKED—to hear that an analyst is backtracking on a completely unbsubstantiated, traffic-baiting, buzzword-heavy report.

5. macrumors 6502a

Truffy

These analysts. If they're not flip-flopping, they're flop-flipping.

(what value do they add again?)

6. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I'm frankly not sure how I feel about that. I find the mini already mighty thin. To the point I am considering adding a case to fatten it up.

I wouldn't mind a full size iPad with the mini's thickness.

B

7. macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Based on everything I've witnessed Apple do in the last 5 years, I'd still put my money on a retina iPad Mini in the same chassis with improved internals for the same price arriving this fall with iOS 7.

8. macrumors 68020

I would buy a thinner iPad mini in a heartbeat. the current iPad mini already makes my nexus seem like a fatty by comparison.

9. macrumors 6502a

Such a waste of time to listen to analysts like this.

10. macrumors regular

I don't really see the iPad Mini getting any thinner in the next generation. It's already so thin! Why would they make it thinner and then make it thicker by adding the retina display? Unless they make two different models??? :confused:

11. macrumors 6502

Thickness was never an issue with the Mini. Lower resolution display than a 3+ year iPhone 4, is.

12. macrumors 68040

if they not go for retina this year..they will have problems with selling...everyone now who is waiting for next ipad mini is waiting for that retina..

13. macrumors 6502

I don't see how a retina iPad mini could be thinner than a current-gen mini. So what would be the point in making it slimmer this year and then making it bigger again next year?

I don't think it'll be redesigned until it gets a retina screen.

14. macrumors 6502

What do I have to do to be an Apple Analyst? Get nothing right, flip flop and still get paid? Best gig ever.

15. macrumors regular

I agree. It's funny to see analysts changing positions so often. They really don't have a clue.

16. macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Analysts just have a dartboard with phrases and words pinned to it, and a sheet with a sentence on it that says

"Apple will release a _____ with _____ and a _______ with _______ on the _____th of ______ 20__"

17. macrumors 68030

No way! :eek:

18. macrumors 6502

kironin

making it more thin is silly, if that's all they do will take a pass.

19. macrumors 65816

Mike MA

Same thought, loved the days before iOS and without daily analyst predictions.

20. macrumors member

Dude musta got a new 'Apple product release' brand dartboard.

21. macrumors 65816

iPhone 5S, Apple TV 4 with App Store, MacBook Pro with Haswell, iWatch, iPad 5, iPad Mini 2 with retina.

There, can I be an analyst too?

22. macrumors 6502

You lost me at the word "analyst"...

There. I got that cliche out of the way early in this thread, so nobody else needs to say it. I can't think of anything to add. Maybe I'll say something controversial, such as, "I don't believe the iPad mini will ever get a Retina display, because it's technically impossible." But I'd better add a smiley face, or else some people will take me seriously. :)

23. macrumors 65816

dagamer34

I dunno, facts change and so does their analysis? Sticking to your guns in the face of new information is not a good thing. :rolleyes:

24. macrumors 68040

iSee

Why assume either is correct?
    Clearly he has no idea and is guessing wildly.

25. macrumors 68020

Who can you trust now?