Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Whoever came up with that bangle design is clueless!

No one is going to wear that feminine piece of gear!

jaison13

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2003
pittsburgh
i'm hoping the watch looks more like the ones in tis article over the plain wrist watch look a few articles below!! maybe just a bit wider.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Time for SamSung, Google, and other imitators to quickly roll out half-baked versions of all these products to try and scoop Apple or dig in for patent wars.

It would be funny if it were not so pathetic.

DoubleU

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2008

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 62

OC40

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
Chicago, IL
An iPhone that unfolds into an iPad? Let's go one step further and make an iWatch that can unfold into an iPhone and then unfold again into an iPad.

Next year: another folding step will be added so that you can carry the new Mac Pro on your wrist.

edit: LG Paper Phone concept

iPod Nano, to iWatch, to iPhone, to iPad Mini, to iPad Air, to MacBook Air, to MBP, to Mac Mini, to iMac and finally to iTV!!!

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
4" OLED iPhone that unfolds into an iPad mini ... really? lol :p

What is so funny about that? Various entities in the display world have been working on such displays for years now. It is actually surprising we haven't seen similar hardware already.

----------

so how can a iPhone fold into a iPad mini?

There has been a massive amount of research going on related to foldable displays. I think the first hints of such displays started showing up in trade journals about 5 years ago. The tech is possible though I don't know about long term reliability.

----------

What???? No iPad that turns into a pizza at midnight, then blows you? Where's the innovation????;)

That would take care of all of my needs!

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
What is so funny about that? Various entities in the display world have been working on such displays for years now. It is actually surprising we haven't seen similar hardware already.

i have seen bendable displays but there are no entities that have a foldable or collapsable chassis to allow for it to completely fold out from 4" to 7.9".

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Colour me dubious... when working in Apple QA we'd typically test on big, ugly plastic/metal prototypes that had no relation to the end-product.* We wouldn't find out what the product would look like/cost or even the final specs until the keynote, along with everyone else.

It's really hard to imagine prototypes floating around the supply chain, until they're starting to ramp up production. And I doubt they're ramping up all those devices.
I don't dismiss your reported facts, but it is very possible that Apple has a lot of hardware coming this year, much of it near release. For example it is easy to believe a new AppleTV is coming, new iPads obviously and other unannounced products. Much of this would debut at WWDC or near after because they need to spill the beans to get developers on board.
* I can think of at least one bug that resulted from QA not being able to test on the final products until after announcement.

This doesn't surprise me one bit!

----------

Yeah, that's weak. Why not to unfold into MacBook?

They can only produce what current technology allows. To that end a foldable display is not impossible at all.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
i have seen bendable displays but there are no entities that have a foldable or collapsable chassis to allow for it to completely fold out from 4" to 7.9".

Well obviously it wouldn't be an aluminum chassis. The displays themselves could be built upon the same materials they use to route video signals through a laptops hinge. How they would do the rest of the device is unknown but new materials would probably play a role.

I really don't know if this analyst is a complete idiot or not, I'm more concerned with the people in this forum responding like it is totally impossible. From a display standpoint it certainly isn't.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
A prototype means not a real product. Apple, like every tech company in the world, has a lot of prototypes, a lot of experiments, a lot of teams working on all sorts of crazy things. Doesn't mean they'll become products. In fact, most of them won't ever see the light of day.

So when you hear a rumor about a prototype, don't think that means there's an imminent release coming. It just means Apple still has creative engineers and managers that are willing to spend a bit of money to prototype new ideas and see if they go anywhere.

Porting OS X to ARM is just in case ARM ever becomes viable for desktop hardware, not because Apple wants to start cranking out ARM laptops. Building prototype iPhones and iPads with crazy screen sizes or configurations is just so the UI folks can hold them in their hands and see if it's something worth pursuing, not because Apple is going to start shipping products in those sizes. All these crazy prototypes are to generate white papers and in-house expertise for market contingencies, and to learn what's possible if an executive wants the company to enter a new market. Every company does it. Apple just has a lot of money to spend on R&D so they build more wacky prototypes than most.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Time for SamSung, Google, and other imitators to quickly roll out half-baked versions of all these products to try and scoop Apple or dig in for patent wars.

Samsung is a leader in foldable display research, so any prototype folding phone-to-tablet is probably theirs.

They've shown folding displays since 2008, with improvements each year, most recently with a working touchscreen at a private showing during the last CES.

Article about it with some diagrams
Article about it with some concept videos

Perhaps you've already seen their (partly tongue-in-cheek) concept video, which has a lot of us drooling starting around the 0:35 second mark.

With luck, we should see such products from them, and from their parts customers like Apple, sometime in the next few years.

Jaedra

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2014
Supply chain

Design prototypes are kept internal to Apple. We wouldn't be seeing 'manufacturing prototypes', in other words, manufacturing test runs of production, unless the initial design phase was done, and the manufacturer was testing their ability to manufacture the product in volume at an acceptable level of quality. Meaning that the products are almost complete. Which is why I think this report is full of crap.

darcyjames

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
I happened to obtain an actual prototype as well, it is called the iPhone atom. It is so small it is not visible to the naked eye, but damned if I can remember where I put it.

wordswithfriend

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2014
iTV seems true - Pixelworks is the small company providing the chip apparently

Do a little searching around and it would appear Pixelworks is the company providing the iTV chip. They have a former Apple exec on board, disclosed to SEC that Apple did over $10M of business with them last year developing new product and they've said a major ramp of of revenues is expected by the 3rd/4th quarter of this year because of a product release. Hmm...

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I don't dismiss your reported facts, but it is very possible that Apple has a lot of hardware coming this year, much of it near release. For example it is easy to believe a new AppleTV is coming, new iPads obviously and other unannounced products. Much of this would debut at WWDC or near after because they need to spill the beans to get developers on board.

Maybe, but I can't imagine the overseas manufacturers having prototypes in their hands until they're tooling / ramping up. And while different products/devices might have different lead-times, if there are a lot of prototypes out there now it implies (to me at least) there are many almost-simultaneous important releases coming up shortly. I really can't see Apple releasing all those together, they're surely more likely to stagger the releases so they don't steal the limelight from each other.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.