Analyst Speculates Apple Could Drop iPad 2 for 'iPad Mini'

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 19, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

AppleInsider reports on a research note from Evercore Partners analyst Robert Cihra, who suggests that Apple may discontinue the iPad 2 alongside the launch of the "iPad mini" next week in an effort to keep the company's product lineup from expanding too much.
    In a similar strategy to that used for the iPhone, Apple has continued to offer the iPad 2 since the launch of the third-generation iPad earlier this year, offering consumers a $399 entry point for its tablet family. With the introduction of the iPad mini, Apple will be able to offer the tablet experience at even lower pricing, albeit with a smaller screen, lessening the need for the company to continue offering the iPad 2.

The claim appears to be based entirely on speculation and we have heard no specific word of Apple planning to discontinue the iPad 2, so we are treating the report with skepticism unless additional information surfaces.

Article Link: Analyst Speculates Apple Could Drop iPad 2 for 'iPad Mini'
  2. macrumors regular

Jul 23, 2002
    Brownstown, MI
    Makes Sense

This makes a lot of sense and would eliminate the questions of pricing and where the mini would fit?

Woot! First Post. :)
  3. macrumors 65816

Sep 25, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    It saddens me to think that these "analysts" are getting paid for their wild, unfounded speculation.

I'm sorry, but this isn't PerezHilton.
  4. Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Detroit, Michigan
    That appears to be a logical thing to do at this point. No sense in muddying the product line with too many choices in versions, colors, cellular carrier, storage capacity and now screen size.
  5. macrumors 604

Mar 26, 2008
    thats what i was "afraid" of and why i replaced my iPad 2 with an iPad 3 a while ago. i still wanna get iOS7 support on my fairly new device ;)

iPad 1 *sigh*
  6. macrumors newbie

Jun 23, 2003
    iPad Mini should be 299.00

If the iPad mini doesn't start at 299.00, I will be disappointed. I would like to see it even less so we see more people adopt the platform.
  7. macrumors 6502a

Jun 25, 2008
    Meridian, ID
    This isn't surprising, though it may be interesting to see how much a refurbed iPad 2 will go for and if the iPad 1 refurbs die.
  8. macrumors 68020

Jun 20, 2010
    Apple can lower the barrier further by offering a small chalkboard styled to look like an iPad and sell it for around $35.00.
  9. macrumors 6502a

Carl Sagan

May 31, 2011
  10. macrumors 6502a

Feb 24, 2011
  11. macrumors 68040

Mad Mac Maniac

Oct 4, 2007
    A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I that thats the highest entry level price that there could be. I think the $250 is also equally possible. $200 is a huge longshot, but honestly Apple has the supply chain/manufacturing to make that happen if they really wanted to.
  12. FloatingBones, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2012

macrumors 65816

Jul 19, 2006
    Phasing out the 20-pin connectors

This makes sense for another reason: if Apple does a refresh to the iPad 3 to go to the Lightning connector, then only the iPad 2 would have the 30-pin connector. Apple likes nice sleek product lines where accessories should work with all products; cutting off the iPad 2 is the simple way to eliminate the last of the 30-pin connector devices.
  13. macrumors 68020

Jan 22, 2009
    I hope Apple will not sell Mini for $400.
    It would insure mini will be a flop! ($100 more, get Ret-iPad.)

14. macrumors 68030

Jul 17, 2002
    Corvallis, OR
    Uh... Fixed that for you.
  15. macrumors 604

Sep 17, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yeah, the pricing between the three products would becoming too blurred.
  16. macrumors member

Oct 15, 2012
    make sense, why would apple continue to sell ipad 2 now that the new ipad has better features yet, they were in the same form factor. so ipad mini will replace the ipad 2 sku when it launch.
  17. macrumors newbie

Sep 9, 2012
    The last? They still sell have the iPhone 4S.
  18. macrumors member

Oct 14, 2012
    If the iPad mini is set to replace the iPad 2, the the mini's specifications must be the same as those of iPad 2 or better. Otherwise, replacing iPad 2 won't make much sense.
  19. macrumors member

Aug 24, 2008
    I think $249-299 is a pipe dream. With the iPod at $299 and the 10" iPad at $499 it only makes sense that Apple would price the iPad mini at $399. The kicker here will be that maybe, just maybe it will come with a retina display to continue to differentiate themselves from the low-end Google and Amazon offerings.

We can continue dreaming about a $200-300 low-end tablet, but why do it if people are already willing to pay? They have pricing power and will probably continue to use it.

The really wild and crazy dream would be $199 for iPad Mini, $299 for fullsized iPad, and the Microsoft Surface would be DOA as a result.
  20. macrumors newbie

Jun 7, 2012
    Aren't you forgetting the iPhone 4?
  21. macrumors 6502

Nov 2, 2011
    You must have missed the mile long page of SKUs indicating that they really don't care about having all those options in several versions
  22. macrumors 65816

Dec 24, 2007
    This would be a real shame. At our local primary school we are using ipads for more and more things, and want to keep buying them until we have one for every student. The discounted ipad2 is ideal for this application. If they "replaced" the ipad2 with the ipad mini this would be a significant step backwards.
  23. macrumors 68000

Jan 16, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Entry level will start at $249 and all will feature retina.
    "Mark it, Dude."
  24. macrumors member

Jun 22, 2010
    The 16GB ipod touch starts at 299. If they price the ipad mini at the same price, then the ipod touch sales would be hit hard. I know that they are different form factors, but any one who has money for just one of those, will prefer a ipad mini for a ipod touch.

Since ipod touch is already selling for 299, I would say 349 as the starting price for the mini.

And btw, apple is a greedy company. I dont see them giving up on price so easily.
  25. macrumors 6502

Dec 2, 2005
    Germantown, MD
    Except for the iPhone 4S... and the iPod Classic... and the iPod shuffle...

It'll be a while till the 30-pin is gone.