Analyst Speculates on Mac Pro and MacBook Air Updates, iTunes.com at WWDC

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 28, 2010.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Digital Daily reports on a new research note from Kaufman Bros. analyst Shaw Wu, who offers his thoughts on what else Apple may deliver at next month's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) beyond the next-generation iPhone.
    Wu doesn't appear to have given specific evidence for his claims, suggesting that they should simply be taken as speculation at this time.

Rumors about a cloud-based iTunes service have been floating around for some time now, gaining steam with Apple's construction of a major new data center in North Carolina apparently just starting to come online and its acquisition of streaming music service Lala Media with reports that its efforts would be directed to a cloud-based iTunes.

With news late last month that Lala's existing service will shut down on May 31st, some have wondered whether Apple is preparing to make way for an introduction of its cloud-based service, but recent music industry rumors suggest that such an announcement is likely not in the near future.

Wu's claims regarding Mac Pro and MacBook Air refreshes seem plausible, however, if only because both lines appear well overdue for an update, as detailed in our Buyer's Guide. WWDC would appear to be an ideal venue for a Mac Pro upgrade in particular, and while earlier rumors of an imminent release failed to pan out, one report from March did suggest that a refresh might not come until as late as June. In addition, Intel has reportedly experienced shortages of its new hexacore processors expected to be used in high-end Mac Pro configurations, with suggestions that the constraints may be resolved by late next month.

After issuing a price drop and slight update to the MacBook Air at last year's WWDC, it seems reasonable to think that Apple might put on a repeat performance this year with a refresh to the company's ultra-portable notebook. Rumors of a MacBook Air update have been increasing in recent weeks, making a release in the near future not unlikely.

Article Link: Analyst Speculates on Mac Pro and MacBook Air Updates, iTunes.com at WWDC

2. macrumors Core

miles01110

....... so why is this on page one? This story (or at least the subject as gleaned from the title) seems kind of pointless given the above discredit. There are several threads in the forums with exactly the same amount of credibility about the Mac Pro and the MBA, why not link to those as well?

3. macrumors 6502a

4. macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

So - anybody have a track record of analyst predictions over the years? I seem to recall that Wu, specifically, lacks a certain amount of credibility.

5. macrumors member

fiji13

I agree on your point. That being said I need to look into being an Analyst. It seems like the job to have. In fact nearly 80% of MR users probably qualify for such a position.

6. macrumors 6502a

7. macrumors member

Komrad808

So this is just another one of those "analysts" that is just digging stuff out of their rear end and making predictions based on absolutely nothing without a shred of evidence to back it up?

The homeless guy down the block from me has a higher success rate in predicting future Mac products.

:eek:

9. macrumors regular

In other news...

...other things are pulled from a variety of people's rectums.

What, you didn't know that that's why they call them analysts?

-fred

10. macrumors 6502a

Yes, I seem to recall that Wu is wrong around 90% of the time. I am interested in seeing what is going to happen with the AIR. My guess it will probably mirror the specs of the 13" MBP. I'd be interested in one if you could get an 8GB RAM option.

The Mac Pro I think is going to be tied directly to the availability of new processors from Intel. Would the upcoming 6-core Xeons be available yet?

11. macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Canny wait.

Bring on the Apple TV. Macbook Air *needs* an update for sure

12. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Because it's an opportunity for us to talk about what may or may not happen. Certainly Mac Pro and MacBook Air updates are being eagerly awaited by plenty of people and it's a chance to recap where we stand with them.

13. macrumors 68020

Sounds Awsome but at this moment I'm looking forward to the new :apple:TV

14. macrumors 68000

15. macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes, but isn't that what page 2 is for?

16. macrumors regular

Why is everyone jumping on the cloud bandwagon?

Why would I want to keep my 120gb of music in some data centre halfway across the world instead of my own hard drive?

17. macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I know. It would be an easy job - just read MR for your analysis.

18. macrumors 6502

Wow all these rumored announcements today. I am laughing. Didn't Steve Jobs in his last quarterly financial call slip up at the end and say it is going to be an exciting month, after he was talking about an exciting year.

I mean - if he did say month, looks like a lot coming down the pike and all looking good for Apple.

19. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It depends. Popularity and interest in a topic can be a factor in the prominence it's given.

As a standalone rumor, ya, it's Page 2 material. But in our (or at least my) view, the addition of some perspective on where we've been and where we are, in combination with interest in the topic, makes it worthy of Page 1. It's of course a judgment call.

20. macrumors newbie

Mba 3g

The new MBA will have 3G capabilities and a data plan with AT&T... There now I am an analyst too.

21. macrumors regular

Not having to worry about backups and access from my browser would be my guess. However with time machine and iPod/iPhone/iPad who cares. :confused:

22. macrumors 65816

fabian9

I sort of understand why it would be handy not having to sync every single iDevice that you may have with iTunes in order to be able to listen to the music stored on your home computer.

On the other hand, a cloud based system assumes that you ALWAYS have an internet connection - which is not the case.

Maybe a mix between the two would be the best solution. Keep your most-listened to music local, but have everything else available on demand if you're connected to the internet.

23. macrumors Core

miles01110

Ah, ok. My original reply was a "bit" of an overreaction; didn't mean to sound so belligerent. Knee-jerk ftl.

24. macrumors regular

Sure it would be great to listen to all my music on a (no)GB shuffle streamed over the net, but with the data charges here (in Australia) there is no way I would ever rely on 3G or wireless internet for streaming anything.

25. macrumors member

MacPros

I am waiting to upgrade my MacPro and hoping June 7 will provide some official explanation of when it should occur.