Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

131809-mac_pro_side_small.jpg

131809-macbook_air_profile.jpg

131757-itunes_icon.jpg

Digital Daily reports on a new research note from Kaufman Bros. analyst Shaw Wu, who offers his thoughts on what else Apple may deliver at next month's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) beyond the next-generation iPhone.
In an inspired bit of entrail reading this morning, Kaufman Bros. analyst Shaw Wu says Apple may have a libretto of big WWDC announcements. "Other announcements we are picking up that could potentially be made are iTunes.com, a web-based version of its iTunes client, and new Mac refreshes with faster processors and graphics, namely the Mac Pro and MacBook Air, which were last refreshed in March and June 2009, respectively," he wrote in a note to clients this morning.
Wu doesn't appear to have given specific evidence for his claims, suggesting that they should simply be taken as speculation at this time.

Rumors about a cloud-based iTunes service have been floating around for some time now, gaining steam with Apple's construction of a major new data center in North Carolina apparently just starting to come online and its acquisition of streaming music service Lala Media with reports that its efforts would be directed to a cloud-based iTunes.

With news late last month that Lala's existing service will shut down on May 31st, some have wondered whether Apple is preparing to make way for an introduction of its cloud-based service, but recent music industry rumors suggest that such an announcement is likely not in the near future.

Wu's claims regarding Mac Pro and MacBook Air refreshes seem plausible, however, if only because both lines appear well overdue for an update, as detailed in our Buyer's Guide. WWDC would appear to be an ideal venue for a Mac Pro upgrade in particular, and while earlier rumors of an imminent release failed to pan out, one report from March did suggest that a refresh might not come until as late as June. In addition, Intel has reportedly experienced shortages of its new hexacore processors expected to be used in high-end Mac Pro configurations, with suggestions that the constraints may be resolved by late next month.

After issuing a price drop and slight update to the MacBook Air at last year's WWDC, it seems reasonable to think that Apple might put on a repeat performance this year with a refresh to the company's ultra-portable notebook. Rumors of a MacBook Air update have been increasing in recent weeks, making a release in the near future not unlikely.

Article Link: Analyst Speculates on Mac Pro and MacBook Air Updates, iTunes.com at WWDC

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Wu doesn't appear to have given specific evidence for his claims, suggesting that they should simply be taken as speculation at this time.

....... so why is this on page one? This story (or at least the subject as gleaned from the title) seems kind of pointless given the above discredit. There are several threads in the forums with exactly the same amount of credibility about the Mac Pro and the MBA, why not link to those as well?

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
So - anybody have a track record of analyst predictions over the years? I seem to recall that Wu, specifically, lacks a certain amount of credibility.

fiji13

macrumors member
May 12, 2010
Anchorage, AK
....... so why is this on page one? Seriously, MR's news posts have really gone down hill- this is just one of the most blatantly pointless stories published in the last few days given the above discredit. There are several threads in the forums with exactly the same amount of credibility about the Mac Pro and the MBA.

I agree on your point. That being said I need to look into being an Analyst. It seems like the job to have. In fact nearly 80% of MR users probably qualify for such a position.

B

Black Macbook

So this is just another one of those "analysts" that is just digging stuff out of their rear end and making predictions based on absolutely nothing without a shred of evidence to back it up?

The homeless guy down the block from me has a higher success rate in predicting future Mac products.

:eek:

fredfnord

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2007
In other news...

...other things are pulled from a variety of people's rectums.

What, you didn't know that that's why they call them analysts?

-fred

danielwsmithee

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2005
So - anybody have a track record of analyst predictions over the years? I seem to recall that Wu, specifically, lacks a certain amount of credibility.
Yes, I seem to recall that Wu is wrong around 90% of the time. I am interested in seeing what is going to happen with the AIR. My guess it will probably mirror the specs of the 13" MBP. I'd be interested in one if you could get an 8GB RAM option.

The Mac Pro I think is going to be tied directly to the availability of new processors from Intel. Would the upcoming 6-core Xeons be available yet?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
....... so why is this on page one? Seriously, MR's news posts have really gone down hill- this is just one of the most blatantly pointless stories published in the last few days given the above discredit. There are several threads in the forums with exactly the same amount of credibility about the Mac Pro and the MBA.

Because it's an opportunity for us to talk about what may or may not happen. Certainly Mac Pro and MacBook Air updates are being eagerly awaited by plenty of people and it's a chance to recap where we stand with them.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
Because it's an opportunity for us to talk about what may or may not happen. Certainly Mac Pro and MacBook Air updates are being eagerly awaited by plenty of people and it's a chance to recap where we stand with them.

Yes, but isn't that what page 2 is for?

MacRumors' Page 2 News Discussion (39 Viewing)
unknown reliability, lesser rumors, or speculation

miicah

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2010
Why is everyone jumping on the cloud bandwagon?

Why would I want to keep my 120gb of music in some data centre halfway across the world instead of my own hard drive?

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
I agree on your point. That being said I need to look into being an Analyst. It seems like the job to have. In fact nearly 80% of MR users probably qualify for such a position.
I know. It would be an easy job - just read MR for your analysis.

shervieux

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2010
Wow all these rumored announcements today. I am laughing. Didn't Steve Jobs in his last quarterly financial call slip up at the end and say it is going to be an exciting month, after he was talking about an exciting year.

I mean - if he did say month, looks like a lot coming down the pike and all looking good for Apple.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Yes, but isn't that what page 2 is for?

It depends. Popularity and interest in a topic can be a factor in the prominence it's given.

As a standalone rumor, ya, it's Page 2 material. But in our (or at least my) view, the addition of some perspective on where we've been and where we are, in combination with interest in the topic, makes it worthy of Page 1. It's of course a judgment call.

methos50

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2010
Mba 3g

The new MBA will have 3G capabilities and a data plan with AT&T... There now I am an analyst too.

iRobertM

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Seattle WA.

Why would I want to keep my 120gb of music in some data centre halfway across the world instead of my own hard drive?

Not having to worry about backups and access from my browser would be my guess. However with time machine and iPod/iPhone/iPad who cares. :confused:

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK

I sort of understand why it would be handy not having to sync every single iDevice that you may have with iTunes in order to be able to listen to the music stored on your home computer.

On the other hand, a cloud based system assumes that you ALWAYS have an internet connection - which is not the case.

Maybe a mix between the two would be the best solution. Keep your most-listened to music local, but have everything else available on demand if you're connected to the internet.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
It depends. Popularity and interest in a topic can be a factor in the prominence it's given.

As a standalone rumor, ya, it's Page 2 material. But in our (or at least my) view, the addition of some perspective on where we've been and where we are, in combination with interest in the topic, makes it worthy of Page 1. It's of course a judgment call.

Ah, ok. My original reply was a "bit" of an overreaction; didn't mean to sound so belligerent. Knee-jerk ftl.

miicah

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2010
Sure it would be great to listen to all my music on a (no)GB shuffle streamed over the net, but with the data charges here (in Australia) there is no way I would ever rely on 3G or wireless internet for streaming anything.

TomMcIn

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
Canada
MacPros

I am waiting to upgrade my MacPro and hoping June 7 will provide some official explanation of when it should occur.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.