Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

audio_inside

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2003
Boulder CO
iRing is probably not something you wear - more likely a version of this, the Loop Freespace controller from Hillcrest Labs. Paid about $100 for mine on Amazon, but it's been sitting unused next to the TV for the last couple of years:

freespace-loop-300x300.jpg

Comfortable to use, USB dongle communicates wirelessly with the ring, which emulates left and right mouse buttons and scroll wheel. Grip it in either hand and the mouse pointer follows your movement in two axes. But there were never MacOS-specific drivers for it and their pointing model never worked very well with my Mac Mini-based HTPC system.

Last edited:

mumph

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
That horrible remote control I have to use is so awful. I have to pick it up, and push a button or two.

What an incredible burden. Now wearing a ring I need to put on and take off every time I want to watch TV, wave my hand around, deal with the inevitable glitches, is a much better idea.

Or, instead of the oh-so-1980's remote...that big heavy, awful remote...I can have the incredible convenience of using my iPad. Now that's a major improvement.

And finally, I can use Siri. No problems there since Siri has been so precise in the past, and since it has to use Apple servers...well, I just can't believe what an improvement these dandy little gadgets will be over that awful remote I have to struggle with now.

Gimmick for gimmick sake? :confused:

My brother has just bought a 50" LG TV with surround sound speakers. The TV does not operate without the speakers attached. There is a remote for the TV and one for the Speakers. Both have at least 60 buttons on them. To turn the TV on I have to pick up one remote (which looks exactly the same as the other) and press the button. Because they both look alike the speaker turns on and not the TV. So I pick up the other remote to now turn the TV on :rolleyes: So now the TV and the speakers are on I then have to pick up the Sky TV remote to turn on the Sky box and select a channel. If I want to change the volume I can no longer use the Sky remote I need to guess which of the two identical remotes to use. If I get it wrong the + and - will change the input channel. So to watch TV I need to be accompanied by 3 remotes and about 300 buttons.

Want to watch a DVD? 4 remotes 330 buttons.

Apple understands the stupidity of all the remotes etc. Their device, whatever it may be will be elegant. While an iRing sounds a bit gimmicky the less pissing around with remotes and thousands of buttons the better.

I would like to see a touchscreen remote with built in tv guide. slide up and down to view whats on, tap the program you want to watch.

EDIT: Oh and it takes 10 seconds for the speakers to turn on and off. Just because it says Goodbye doesnt make it better!

Last edited:

Schizoid

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2008
UK
Anyone else have a sense of dread and embarrassment about this iTV impending colossal failure?!

CGagnon

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2007
I want a bigger iMac. 27" is too small (I'd rather have something in the 32-37" range.) Can I put the 50" version of this on my desk and use it as an iMac?

I want typical iMac resolution, too, if not better.

That's why you get the cinema displays to go with it.

----------

Anyone else have a sense of dread and embarrassment about this iTV impending colossal failure?!

I feel the complete opposite, I can't wait to buy two!

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Subsidised iTV would mean an expensive monthly contract. For what? Can't see the mobile phone or cable companies going for that solution. If they can't build it for a reasonable price then don't bother and stick with the current AppleTV box.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
My brother has just bought a 50" LG TV with surround sound speakers. The TV does not operate without the speakers attached. There is a remote for the TV and one for the Speakers. Both have at least 60 buttons on them. To turn the TV on I have to pick up one remote (which looks exactly the same as the other) and press the button. Because they both look alike the speaker turns on and not the TV. So I pick up the other remote to now turn the TV on :rolleyes: So now the TV and the speakers are on I then have to pick up the Sky TV remote to turn on the Sky box and select a channel. If I want to change the volume I can no longer use the Sky remote I need to guess which of the two identical remotes to use. If I get it wrong the + and - will change the input channel. So to watch TV I need to be accompanied by 3 remotes and about 300 buttons.

Apple understands the stupidity of all the remotes etc. Their device, whatever it may be will be elegant. While an iRing sounds a bit gimmicky the less pissing around with remotes and thousands of buttons the better.

I would like to see a touchscreen remote with built in tv guide. slide up and down to view whats on, tap the program you want to watch.

EDIT: Oh and it takes 10 seconds for the speakers to turn on and off. Just because it says Goodbye doesnt make it better!

Well, then the iRing (or iCondom, mentioned above) may be a great solution for you.:D

And the speakers taking 10 seconds to turn on and off...I feel your pain!:(

;) :D

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Whenever I hear this rumor, I can't help think of "preciouuussss"

Attachments

• Ah5eGiqCMAAdiCp.jpg
    Ah5eGiqCMAAdiCp.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 87

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
This is joke right? Everyday I loose my apple remote. How am I supposed to keep track of a ring.

You can already get smart TVs that don't need a remote, just use voice or hand gestures to control it. The iRing thing is a complete nonsense.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
That's why you get the cinema displays to go with it.

I don't like having multiple monitors. I just want one massive one. Apple doesn't make 30"+ cinema displays anymore, do they?

Not that it really matters... I love the iMac and just want one with a freaking massive display.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I want a bigger iMac. 27" is too small (I'd rather have something in the 32-37" range.) Can I put the 50" version of this on my desk and use it as an iMac?

I want typical iMac resolution, too, if not better.

Believe it or not, a friend once used a flat screen connected to one of his DVI outs. With third party apps such as "SwitchResX" he was able to get it looking fairly good. It was inexpensive and years ago, I'm guessing the newer LED LCD flat screens might work better (and most have PC connections).

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
Sounds great. Here are the things I would like it to have to consider buying a new Apple TV:

- CEC support. The Apple TV should be able to wake up the television. Its not very convenient to start the current Apple TV with its remote or the iPhone just to see that the TV remote is not on the couch and you have to get up again.

- 3rd party apps. Would open a whole new world of games and big screen content.

- Cheaper TV-Series. They are way to expensive at the moment.

- Direct support for iTunes libraries sitting on an external hard drive without the need to boot your Mac and start iTunes.

Please? :p

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I personally don't mind a standard controller. I use a Harmony in every room. Apple should partner or buy Harmony and come out with something awesome. Wasn't there rumors of Logitech selling off Harmony anyways??

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Ahh, so you missed the Apple exec a month or so ago who was talking about the iRabbit? Combine that with the iWatch and you have a real iPolicemans paradise. :)

I saw a show in Thailand once where a ladyboy pulled an iWatch & iRabbit out of their iRing.

It's not the kind of magic act I want to see on TV :p

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
One ring the control them all? Somebody's been watching too much lord of the rings.

Toe

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2002
Steve

Well, the TV was supposed to be something Steve Jobs was working on.

I cannot imagine Steve sanctioning something like this. I just keep getting this image of him turning purple, firing everyone in the division, and telling them they have great futures working for some "innovative" company like Microsoft.

mumph

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
Well, then the iRing (or iCondom, mentioned above) may be a great solution for you.:D

And the speakers taking 10 seconds to turn on and off...I feel your pain!:(

;) :D

My bro is moving out soon so I will go back to MY tv with built in speakers, one remote and only 40 or so buttons. Still need the sky remote, the DVD remote and the Apple TV remote but its still one less. lol.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Don't forget Apple was ready to release iTV two full years ago. It was the negotiations with content owners and network systems that bogged it down. By now the first release will include 3rd gen hardware and software.

We now know the source of the delay. Networks being asked for revenue sharing similar to phones. That model is consumer friendly, but requires considerable capital by the networks. This has shown up on financial disclosures by AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and others as "uses of capital".

Rocketman

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan

Same here, I have a remote for the TV, one for the AV amp/speakers, one for the PS3 and one for the Apple TV. Most people may have a Blu-Ray player instead of the PS3 and a cable box instead of the Apple TV, but I guess the vast majority of home have at least 4 or 5 remotes for their entertainment center.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007

It's not "impending". It doesn't even exist. Whatever Apple eventually releases will be nothing like any of these analysts or anyone here is describing.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
it will never be called iTV since iTV is already a worldwide known brand.

But one thing i dont know - what happens when this so called "iRing" is too small for your fat fingers? you cant watch the TV therefore have to go outside and lose weight so you can watch it?

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
I think the iWatch is more likely than a ring and would be either an actual phone or act as an interface for a phone or other device that remains in your pocket or purse. Its little screen, along with Siri, is big enough to do anything other than surf complex web sites.

It is possible that Apple might offer a small pocket non-smart phone that simply acts as a housing for the antennas, batteries and other larger innards.

It would be amusing if it worked with Samsung phones...

Minimalistic apps and web sites would be developed to work with the little screen.

It could also work as a basic remote, although an iTV would come with a universal sort of hand held remote that would override the rings if it came down to that.

So, yes, people would wear a fashionable phone where they would not wear a nerdy computer. If the bezel was replaceable, there would be a big accessory market for different ones, and for straps. This would help drive sales I think.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.