Analysts: iPhone Trademark Dispute Likely To Be Resolved Quickly

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 11, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

According to MarketWatch.com, financial analysts and legal experts are expecting Apple's iPhone trademark dispute with Cisco to be resolved quickly, citing claims from Cisco that a deal was close before the lawsuit was filed.

Brian Banner, an intellectual property attorney for Rothwell Figg expects both companies to be able to use the iPhone mark, using corporate branding as one method of sufficiently differentiating the devices.

2. macrumors newbie

that's good. however i was curious to see a different name for the phone.:rolleyes:

3. Moderator emeritus

yellow

"Apphonelle" ? :D

4. macrumors 6502a

truz

I figured apple would add there apple logo like they did with Apple TV as they did not call it iTV.

5. macrumors 6502a

Storm in a tea cup!
    Just a bunch of lawyers earning their living ;)

6. macrumors 68040

BoyBach

This will resolved quickly as it does neither party any good. Unless the lawyers smell blood (money) that is...

7. macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

Another vote for ApplePhone

8. macrumors newbie

Yes, it would appear that they have to initially launch legal proceedings even if just to point out to apple that 'they got there first'.

I'm sure this won't end up badly for either party.

9. macrumors 6502

Apple already knew this. Legal proceedings are launched to show the other party that you are serious.

They were negotiating with Cisco before the announcement, and couldn't reach agreement, so obviously Cisco thought they had more of a claim than Apple lawyers thought they had.

So it is unlikely that they will reach agreement anytime soon. Apple likely wants to have a court rule that Cisco's trademark is invalid, and to put an end to any claims by Cisco or others over the name. Then it will be down to the market success to determine which product comes to mind when anyone hears or sees the mark "iPhone".

10. macrumors 6502a

Jerry Spoon

I agree. Apple isn't afraid of breaking out the lawyers and neither is Cisco. So be it. Lawyers will earn their paycheck and everyone will be happy.

I'm not a lover of ApplePhone. Doesn't seem to have much of a ring to it. I think the logo with the name iPhone will suffice.

11. macrumors 68000

Danksi

Too many 'i' products these days...

... I like the (Apple Symbol) Phone idea, just like Apple-TV

12. macrumors regular

ApplePhone please

no more i

13. macrumors newbie

Given that two companies using the Apple name has lead to some bumps in the road, I wouldn't think that the company formerly known as Apple Computer, Inc. would want to share the name of a product this significant.

14. macrumors member

what the heck does the "i" mean anyway. what happened to having the company in the name. macbook, why not a apple phone, i mean apple tv... i bet when it is released, it will be called the apple phone

15. macrumors 68030

.Andy

Except that Cisco that will likely earn more money from negotiating the 'iPhone' name that it will from selling it's iPhone product. Good business to ensure they maximise their profit from the negotiation.

16. macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Looks like {Apple logo}phone was an option.

If you look at the branding, there is only one Apple, Inc. product that has the Apple logo in its name. The tv. Which, in Apple's own documentation, is also referred to as "AppleTV".

If you look on the iPhone site, though, you see multiple locations where it is called "iPhone". So they're already setting up for an easy switch to just plain "phone", should it be necessary. So we'll end up with it called alternately phone and "ApplePhone", using a similar dichotomy as the tv.

17. macrumors P6

twoodcc

me too. let's just get this talk over with and move on to Leopard, iWork 07, and iLife 07......please

18. macrumors 6502a

carve

That's good news.

19. macrumors 6502

20. macrumors 65816

Not that my opinion matters, but they should call it "iPod Phone" and build it on top of the huge success of the iPod brand. But then again iPods by definition should NOT be shackled by yearly service contracts with cellphone providers.

21. macrumors 68040

Grimace

I suppose it doesn't really matter too much right now since there is no product. Cisco could sue for product confusion, but it doesn't have too much merit until there is another tangible product available.

Apple seems to be going the route of "our phone is different (somehow) than their phone" -- yep... :rolleyes:

22. macrumors member

reevans

Are you missing the big picture?

Apple has got to keep interest up for nearly 6 months to sell the iPhone. The cost of legal wrangling is small when compared to the cost of advertising. The press will do all the hype needed for that time if Apple keeps Cisco on their hook with this legal worm.

I presume that Apple is a lot smarter than you look.

23. macrumors member

davebarnes

It appears that Apple could buy the owner of iphone.com ( http://www.nuvio.com ) for about 39 cents and then own the domain.

24. Editor emeritus

longofest

i is supposed to mean "internet". Although somehow that meaning has been diluted with the iPod, so I think it is more of a personalization thing now (as in, I--singular--myself... you get it).

25. macrumors 65816

Squonk

BINGO!!! I was wondering if this was planned with Cisco actually? Is Steve chummy with anyone at Cisco upper management?

Ain't that the truth! Again, I fall back to my conspiracy theory that this is brilliant marketing through the press!:rolleyes: