Anatomy for beginners

Discussion in 'Community' started by garybUK, Jan 28, 2005.

1. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Did anyone watch 'Anatomy for beginners' they just finished lesson 4 last night?

Monday - Lesson 1 - Movement
    Tuesday - Lesson 2 - Circulation
    Wednesday - Lesson 3 - Digestion
    Thursday - Lesson 4 - Reproduction

Basically they took the bodies of people who had donated their bodies to medical science, in Germany, and cut them up on camera to show you how various parts of the bodies worked, they then compared to live models.

It was absolutely fascinating. I wish i had recorded them on my SKY+ :( there was also a doctor from York University there as well. In a way it was making me feel ill but i was hooked to it.

Marvellous television, educational and no effects what so ever!

They stripped the skin of this guy to show you the movement and how the muscles worked and the tendons, he showed how much force is needed to just open & close your hand! amazing! i want more now :(

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I once edited an anatomy textbook -- lots of detailed pictures. That was enough for me.

3. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

At rhe start of the first episode i felt somewhat quesy, but after a while it wore off and i became engrossed in the programs.

Dosn't a human chest look weird when the lungs/heart is taken out?

4. iGav macrumors G3

Great weren't they... :)

Although when he was slicing up that guys testicle last night... :eek: *crosses legs* :p

I'm just plain gruesome. :D

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Did any of you get to see his Bodyworks exhibition when it was on in London a couple of years ago?

That was absolutely amazing - the plasticized circulation system was a work of art alone.

6. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

there are few experiances as amazing as being able to handle and explore the human body. I was lucky enough to be able to visit the anatomy lab at the local university. I was able to see and touch and explore pretty much the entire torso of the human body. the complexity of us is absolutly amazing. We are the ultimate machine. Milions of complicated parts, and they all work. (most of the time).

7. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I dissected a sheep brain last week. Similarly, very interesting.

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I will go see the 2nd round of the Body Worlds exhibit next month. They have 200 plastinated human body parts on display.
    I'll give you a report afterwards.

There is a human body iMax movie too. (trailer in Real or Windows Media format)

9. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I switched on and they were just splittin' the nut. It suffices to say I changed the channel sharpish.

10. Angelus macrumors 6502

I haven't seen that program but there's no denying that human dissection is an incredibly interesting experience. I remember we spent an entire year doing it in first year and i must say that even now i feel very privileged to have been given that opportunity.
    You see a side of the human body that very few other people see. It instills a deep sense of wonder and appreciation for how, what starts out as a single cell can give rise to a structure so complex and beautiful.

11. oreomac macrumors member

I watched them but managed to miss last nights. I study anatomy at uni. for the nursing programme I'm on. It made things make far more sense than seeing drawing & photos in text books. It's a shame we don't have anaotmy classes like the medical students. It's odd as most of the people I work with (all nurses) thought it awful & won't watch.

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I find that studying the actual human body is awesome. Had the privilege of working at my local hospital laboratory while attending Nursing school. I was the morgue attendant beside assisting with laboratory supplies. The best part was assisting the pathologists, had three that I worked with. Being physicians they enjoyed teaching. Was taking anatomy and physiology at the same time. Nurses don't get to work with an actual human body, but a cat. Nothing better than to actually getting to see it live. Though in my case saw a lot of disease process. This particular program would be even better getting to see the more normal human body.

13. urban1985_ macrumors regular

It's interesting. I've always accidentally put TLC on when there's some operation being performed and been strangely hooked.

But am I the only one that finds those "plastinated human bodies" a little bit creepy?

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm not at all surprised. It would be a very boring world if everyone had the same talents and interests. It would be those that lean toward an interest in health care that would find this fascinating.

15. urban1985_ macrumors regular

Oh no, don't get me wrong. I think it's great.

But I'm kinda thinking in a more ethical point of view.

Maybe coz I'm a phil student :|

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

All of the viewing of a human body was due to the family signing a consent. So that make it legal and ethical. The ability to find the cause of death and educational value.

17. urban1985_ macrumors regular

Oh I know it would have to be legal for it to be on display.

I just meant the whole idea. I was just thinking out loud. Nevermind lol.

18. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

you know, one thing that I'm gonna have to get over as a premed student is that fact that if something is dead, i could dissect it all day long with no squeamishness, but when I see someone or something alive and seriously mangled i definitely tend to get a little more anxious about it.

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I admire your decision to become a physician. Hopefully with your study of medicine, you will be able to overcome being squeamish. As a physician it will occur often. From personal experience you will need to be in command of the situation and not be anxious.

20. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

That's why your there. To make things better.

My dad is a general surgeon and I've seen the tapes. Great stuff. I brought in some of them once to a Bio class and everyone freaked. :)

Oh, and don't drink like that rat/squirrel/thing in your 'tar. :D