Anbody wear glasses here..?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by CubaTBird, Aug 6, 2006.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

Since I made my contact thread, it got me wondering if anyone here wears glasses and how they feel about them. When one wears glasses, do you think people see that person differently than if they didn't wear glasses? Like a preconceived notion? Or is that all in one's head. On the subject of women, do women these days really care if a guy wears them or not? Does a guy who wears them have to work harder for the "girl" than one who doesn't? Or again is that all societal pressures that have been made up and exist only in one's head?:eek:

2. Lau Guest

Honestly, you're obsessed by getting girls...

I really don't think people of either sex care whether people wear glasses (which I do, for the record).

I would say I maybe slightly prefer the look of someone wearing glasses, but my current partner doesn't wear them, and my previous long term partner rarely wore his. So, like most things, you fall for the person.

Put it the other way, would you think less of someone wearing glasses? Would you think a girl was uglier if she wore them? Would you still date them?

3. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

I wear glasses. I have an astigmatism though just recently my optometrist said I could be a candidate for Lasik. I've been wearing them everyday since about sophmore year of high school and before that it was off and on from the third grade. I don't think I've felt all the 'societal pressures' you listed though the thing that worries me is that I'm at a point that if I don't have my glasses on the people that I know think I look odd/different. So I've reached the point that glasses are apart of who I am and I have to play off that now.

Oh yeah and the notion that people with glasses are smarter is not necessarily true it just means they have bad eyesight.:p

4. CubaTBird thread starter macrumors 68020

Maybe I am... Just maybe I am....:eek:

5. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I don't like my glasses. The prescription is old because I hardly ever wear them, in favor of contacts.

Glasses can be cute on guys. Very cute. :cool: ;)

I'm pretty sure the "guys having to work harder because of societal pressures" is a load of hooey. if a girl is shallow enough to have to make a guy "work harder" and she's myopic. Can't see the good that's in front of her.

When I wear my glasses, people usually get the notion that I should "act" smarter. I am a smart girl, but sometimes I don't appear to be so. :eek:

6. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

I hate that societal notion and they play off that all the time in teen movies.

Not Another Teen Movie made fun of this perfectly.

Ugly
    [​IMG]

Hot
    [​IMG]

Complete and utter B******t

7. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I wear glasses and so does my girlfriend. We both tried contacts and both hated them. I actually like wearing my glasses. I've had them since I was in kindergarten, but my eyesight is getting progressively worse, so I don't know what's going to happen in the future. When the lenses become too thick I may look into lasik.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I've been wearing glasses for about 30 years. When I first started wearing them in college I guess I thought of them as a fashion accessory, because I'd wear them sometimes when I really didn't need them. But now they've become nothing but a necessary nuisance, especially after I had to go to bifocals a few years ago. You can easily spend $400 on a pair of glasses with Varilux progressive lens, and you'll need two. This gets old in a hurry! As soon as I can get some other health issues straightened out, I'm going to look into LASIK.

9. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Exactly!

I was going to say, that's actually a hot girl dressed up as an ugly girl :p

10. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

The right glasses on a girl can amplify her hotness ten-fold.

A recent example: Amy Adams plays a character in Will Ferrell's new movie who wears glasses... and I think she's hotter with them on than in any movie of hers I've seen before.

And yes, I do wear glasses. Have done since I was about 7 years old. Luckily I get to choose something stylish now, as opposed to those godawful plastic thick glasses I endured as a child.

11. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

After 20+ years of wearing glasses I'm just happy they serve their purpose. I can see!

12. Timepass macrumors 65816

Well most of the time I wear my glasses over my contacts. I been told I look better with my glasses than with out them on. But really girls dont really care either way and the work diffence if any is so minor. Plus you dont want to date a girl who only cares about looks. You will learn really quickly looks dont mean anything, It the personallity and who the person is on the inside (yes that sounds like all just saying it but the fact is it true very true).

As for glasses picking out the frames I have to say is the hardest part because you will wear them all the time. So when you go the eye doctor try on a lot of frames and see how you look in them (also normally the nurses their are very willing to help you and quite offen enjoy it). It take some time to find a set of frames that matches your face. For example I have metal frame with retangular lenses and only have rims on them (bottom half of the lens is frame less) Quite a few people would not look good in that set up but for me it really one of the better looks (I cannt pull off the rimless look).

Also dont give a damn about who the brand name is on the frame goes with what looks the best. Yes my current ones are made by oklay but the ones before it I have no clue who they where made by and they looked really good. I dont worry about cost on the stuff since you wear them almost every day.

I wear both contacts and glasses and it comes down to what I am doing that day if I going to wear contacts or glasses. If I going to be out doors a lot I wear contacts (and proceed to put on sun glasses) or if I am going to play sports. Wear glasses for every day stuff and when I need to look more profession. I think I look better in glasses over contacts but that just me and a few girl opinans. Really it doest matter and any one who give you crap about having ot wear glasses is a dumbass because most of hte population has to have corrective lens of some type.

13. iShane macrumors 6502a

14. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

The right frames on anyone can look fantastic.

I like glasses. The only reason why I don't like to wear mine all the time is 1) the prescription never seems perfect lending to horrible headaches, 2) the nose pad and frame got bent (the bf sat on my poor Oakley frames) so that I get these little embarassing red nose pad imprints. :eek:

But I like glasses. Plus, they serve as minor eye protection. :p

15. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i have 'em.
    i wear 'em.
    not all the time.

they work. they are nice. and so are contacts. both serve a function. some days its my glasses, some days contacts. contacts more in summer though and glasses in winter for some reason.

16. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

17. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Hmm, maybe I should wear mine more often then.... ;) :D :)

18. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I wear glasses. Contacts are out 'cause I have an huge fear of things touching my eyeball. If my eyes were worse I'd consider LASIK, but they aren't so I'm not.

Personally, I think I look better w/glasses than w/o. I typically have a punkish/gothish/metalish look and the glasses add, IMO, an interesting intellectual juxtaposition to my look.

Glasses on people, men or women, is just like anything else appearance-wise. The right glasses, just like the right close or the right hair cut, will make you look better, but the wrong ones will make you look worse.

Another good thing about glasses is the added mannerisms you have at your disposal. For example, if you are really tired/stressed you can take your glasses off and rub the bridge of your nose while sighing heavily. Or if you really want to emphasis what you are saying you can whip your glasses off dramatically.

Lethal

19. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

I wear glasses and I can't wait to get contacts... glasses are just annoying and I don't like the way they look on me. :(

20. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I hate wearing glasses. They make me feel uncomfortable and I always am losing them or scratching them.

I hate that I can't just buy sunglasses off the rack, they have to be prescription for me to drive with them.

21. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I have glasses I hardly wear them though except when I really have to. I have prescription sunglasses I wear most of the time but no one can tell they are prescription :D

22. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

I have and wear both glasses and contacts. The wife likes the contacts; the girlfriend prefers the glasses. I like the convenience of the contacts, but the glasses are just easier and it doesn't matter if your eyes are still tired or anything.

I don't think I get treated any differently depending on which I wear, so I will go ahead and say it's all in your head.

23. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Being able to wear regular sunglasses is a nice advantage of using contacts over glasses. :)

24. After G macrumors 68000

After G

I have glasses. I do fine without them though. The doctor said it was my choice pretty much.

Astigmatism + funny shaped eyeball = no contacts. :D