Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wolf.Raised

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2016
My Macbook Pro is making unusual noise that is either associated with a fan or the hard drive. Is there a way to pinpoint which is the problem without taking it apart? Since I am a starving artist and am going to try to do repairs myself, I would like to have parts purchased prior to cracking the case.

ooans

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
The 2008 model is relatively easy to open. Impossible to say what is causing a sound over the Internet.

Reactions: baypharm

chipchen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2002
What types of sounds? Can you describe it?

Pick it up, place your ear on the bottom of the computer. If it's towards the front, by the bottom right palm rest, that's likely your hard drive. If it's further back, under the keyboard closer to the vents, that's likely fans.

No reason not to make a Genius Bar appt though for them to check it out. They might be able to tell you without cracking it open themselves.

Reactions: baypharm

Wolf.Raised

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2016
What types of sounds? Can you describe it?

Pick it up, place your ear on the bottom of the computer. If it's towards the front, by the bottom right palm rest, that's likely your hard drive. If it's further back, under the keyboard closer to the vents, that's likely fans.

No reason not to make a Genius Bar appt though for them to check it out. They might be able to tell you without cracking it open themselves.

Thanks for the advice - your description was spot on and I was able to determine it's the right fan, fortunately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.