Ancient Mac football game?

Discussion in 'Games' started by alex_ant, Mar 23, 2003.

1. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

So a long time ago, there was this old monochrome Mac football game. Basically it showed a football field (this is American football by the way, not soccer) and you were the coach, choosing plays that would pan out randomly. There was a little football icon on the field that moved around as you gained or lost yards. I remember playing this on an LC II a long time ago. Does anyone know the name of it?

Also, anyone want to recommend any other fun old games? I didn't start using the Mac until 2001, and I just realized - I have Classic, so I can play a lot of this old stuff!

2. pretentious macrumors regular

pretentious

Well my favorite old Mac game would be Escape Velocity , If you haven't played it you've got too, its a great game and it has been one the greatest Mac only games out there.

About you old Football game, I found an old old game (Tom Landry Football?) that might be it, but I'm afraid that it might be usable on really old Macs (8-bit), and I would give you the link but the last time I gave a link to this site my message got deleted, so I guess it's a 'bad' site to link to, so check your inbox I'll leave link there.

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

marathon series is too good to pass up

but what types of games are you interested in? so we can suggest accordingly.....

4. alex_ant thread starter macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I'm interested in anything without a steep learning curve that's a lot of fun and doesn't require a high time commitment (i.e. no RPGs). (And is free for cheap bastards like myself, but not illegally free for moral bastards like myself)

Pretentious - thanks for the link to that game. I downloaded it and unstuffed it but it says it requires me to be in 256 color mode, so I will have to wait until I boot into OS 9 next to try it. But I will get back to you on it.

5. pretentious macrumors regular

pretentious

Being a cheap bastard myself, I agree with you, but being that free free stuff are either questionable or just plain suck, I think you have to agree with me and accept the almost free stuff from the great Mac shareware game companys, if anything you should give them a try and I would suggest buying them after the experation date that they give you, but rarely these games complain too badly if you don't.

First from
    Ambrosia Software, they have some of the best sharware out there not just including Escape Velocity, but you since you asked about simple and easy games try their Arcade selection , they are all very addictive simple games that many of Macfiles have enjoyed for years. My suggestion from there would be Apeiron, think Centiped on steroids and LSD horrably addictive and simple fun.

Freeverse makes some great shareware games too, mostly card games and classic board games

Finnally, Snood, I have lost a Mac over this game, I would suggest to keep this game away from a girl you might want to be with, because she will love your computer more than you :). Even though I'm engaged now with a beutiful girl(who dosen't like computer games I might add); my ex still has my 6400/200 just because of this game. Damn this game! Damn Snood! :D

6. alex_ant thread starter macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I finally found it!!!!! It's called NFL Challenge. I guess it's not as good as I remember, but it's still not bad.